Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.83361°N / 15.25972°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Additional Information Elevation: 3681 ft / 1122 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Jizera from Smrk
Looking towards Jizera from the observation tower on Smrk
Jizera is the most obvious landmark and one of the highest summit in the Jizerské/Izerskie/Iser Mountains, arguably the most interesting of them. It is only two metres lower than Smrk and four metres lower than Wysoka Kopa. With 237m of prominence it is the second most prominent summit in these mountains. Jizera is easily recognizable from quite a distance thanks to the characteristic cluster of granite rocks on the very top of the mountain. The rocks add a grain of jaggedness to the otherwise rather monotonous scenery of vast, rolling, heavily forested highlands. Jizera, like the mountains it sits in, seems to have been named after the River Jizera, although the river rises a few kilometers away from the mountain, on the south side of Stóg Izerski. The Germans who lived here until 1945 called the mountain Siechhübel or Siebengiebel (Seven-peaked), although on its top there are just two prominent tors plus a smaller one.
Jizera from NW
Jizera seen from NW
The highest tor on the top of Jizera looks like most of the vantage points in the area: It is crowned with a summit cross and part of the route is fitted with metal railing and occasional ladders. Next to the main tor, just west of it, stands another great tor, whose elevation is only a little less (no waymarked route). The third rock, considerably lower, sits just east of the main summit. Between the two largest tors is a locked hunters' cabin whose porch makes for a spacious shelter.
Jizera's summit tor's SW face
Main summit
Shelter on Jizera’s top
Cabin between summit tors
Jizera's 2nd tor
Secondary summit

Summit Views

Views from the summit of Jizera are excellent. There are hardly any buildings in sight – mostly mountain ranges and woodland. In the southeast, beyond conical Bukovec, rise the Giant Mountains. In the east, the characteristic cone of Ještěd capped with a communications tower catches the eye. The northeastern horizon is formed by the undulating Wysoki Grzbiet (High Ridge) with Smrk and Stóg Izerski to the north, and Zielona Kopa (the massif whose highpoint is Wysoka Kopa) and Wysoki Kamień in the east.

 

 

Getting There & Routes

Frýdlantské cimbuří from Bílý Potok
Frýdlantské cimbuří from Hajní Kostel
Frýdlantské cimbuří viewpoint

Jizera sits in the central part of the Iser Mountains, in the territory of Czechia. From the summit it is about 15 air kilometres to the Czech city of Liberec and about 10 air kilometres to the Polish town of Świeradów Zdrój. If you are driving, you can park your car (approx. €4 per day) at the Smědava inn at 850m, on road 290, from where it is less than an hour's walk up to the summit of Jizera, first west via a dirt road (red marks), and the last 20 minutes up the northwest side of Jizera (yellow marks).

Frýdlantské cimbuří
Trail to Polední kameny
Jizera from Polední kameny
 

A much more interesting route leads from the village of Bílý Potok (train terminus). First green, then yellow marks will take you to perhaps the rockiest place in the Iser Mountains, Frýdlantské cimbuří, from where you will continue, passing Polední kameny (a subgroup of Frýdlantské cimbuří), via the same yellow trail, to the dirt road from the Smědava inn mentioned in the previous paragraph. The whole hike from Bílý Potok to the summit of Jizera takes over three hours. The net elevation gain is about 700m.

Jizera from NW
Ascending Jizera
The scramble
Jizera s summit cross
 
Czech trains and buses

Maps

paper/waterproof/digital 1:50,000

Red Tape & Camping

A wooden ...

The upper part of Jizera mountain is protected as a nature reserve in which you are only allowed to move along the waymarked trail. Camping in the Iser Mountains is not allowed. Bivouacking is doable, however, it may take you at least half an hour to find a suitable spot by one of the dirt roads in the area – unless you decide to make use of the shelter on the very top of the mountain. You need to beware of ticks. The nearest campsite is in the village of Hejnice, near Frýdlantské cimbuří, about three and a half hours' walk-up to Jizera. In winter, road 290 (Hejnice–Smědava–Desná) can be closed. There are plenty of guesthouses as well as several hotels and campsites in the villages around the Iser Mountains. The nearest 'mountain hut', Smědava, is located within an hour's walk from the summit, but in fact it is an inn/restaurant (which closes at 6 p.m.!) rather than a hut. You can have tasty blueberry dumplings (not to mention great draught beer), but you cannot bed down there.

When To Climb & Weather

  • During high season and at weekends it may be difficult to avoid the crowds.
  • Mountain rescue phone numbers: Czechia +420 1210 Poland +48 601 100 300
  • Weather forecast for Hejnice at 375m on accuweather.com
Jizera
Photo by kuzma


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.