Navajo Loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.62324°N / 112.16578°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Navajo Loop is one of the most popular hiking trails in Bryce Canyon National Park. This short loop starts at Sunset Point on the rim of the canyon, goes 520 vertical feet down to the bottom of the canyon and then comes back up to Sunset Point via a different route. At the bottom of the canyon, Navajo Loop makes connections with Peekaboo Loop and Queen’s Garden Trails, which can be followed for longer hikes. Along the length of the trail you will see famous landmarks such as Twin Bridges and Thor’s Hammer.

During the warmer months, you are likely to see many other hikers and even large crowds on Navajo Loop Trail.





Map
Map



Getting There

From Bryce Canyon Visitor Center, drive roughly a mile south on route 63 until you see the sign for Sunset Point on the east side of the road. Turn left and drive a short distance to the parking area at Sunset Point. Parking is limited. Come early or take the park shuttle.

Route Description

Hike Statistics:
Elevation at Sunset Point is 8000 ft
Elevation at the bottom of the loop is 7480 ft
The west arm of the loop is 0.7 miles and the east arm of the loop is 0.6 miles long. Total hiking distance (including the short section before the split) is 1.5 miles




From Sunset Point, follow the signs a short distance down a pathway below the rim. You will soon reach a split in the trail. You can go down either way and come back up the other way. This description shows the path down the west arm and up the east arm.

Turn right and follow the west arm of the trail down a long series of switchback in a dark and narrow passageway among the hoodoos.






Descending down the west arm of Navajo Loop
 
Descending down the west arm of Navajo Loop
 


At the bottom of the switchbacks you will reach what looks like a slot canyon known as Wall Street.



Wall Street/ Slot Canyon
Wall Street/Slot canyon


The trail then exits the “slot canyon” at a spot where you will see a number of slender trees.



Exit point of  slot canyon
Exiting slot canyon


You will then hike among the hoodoos to reach the bottom of the canyon where you will see signs for Peekaboo Loop and Queen’s Garden Trails.



West arm of Navajo Loop
 


You will have great view of the hoodoos at the bottom of the canyon.



Near Queen s Garden Trail
Bottom of canyon


Follow the trail onto the east arm of the Navajo Loop. This path will take you into another narrow passageway among the hoodoos.








On the east arm of Navajo Loop
 
On the east arm of Navajo Loop
 
On the east arm of Navajo Loop
 
On the east arm of Navajo Loop
 


A very short spur trail takes you to a spot where you will have a view of the twin Bridges.



Double Bridge
Twin Bridges


The main trail then makes a long number of switchbacks going up the passageway.






Looking up the switchbacks
Looking up the switchbacks
Looking down the switchbacks
Looking down the switchbacks


You will then see this impressive tall formation.



Slender Formation
 


As you get into an open area, the formation known as Thor’s Hammer comes to view.



Thor s Hammer
Thor's Hammer on the left


Other hoodoos will be all around you.




On the east arm of Navajo Loop
 
On the east arm of Navajo Loop
 


You will then reach the split in the trail again and will retrace your way back to Sunset Point on the rim of the canyon.

Red Tape

You must pay park entrance fee.

No permits required for day hikes. For all rules and regulations see the official park site:
http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

Weather Forecast

Forecast.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.