Overnight on a 14er

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mjacobsen

Overnight on a 14er

by mjacobsen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Hey all,
I'll be out in Golden, CO in mid-June, and would like to do a trip that falls within these parameters:

1) Overnight camp on the trail (at higher elevations if possible)
2) Class 3 or 4
3) within 2 hours of Golden

I did Longs last August, which was a blast, but I did it in a day, and this time around, I'd like something with comparably difficult terrain but the chance to split it over 2 (or possibly 3) days. I was thinking that Bierstad to Evans via the sawtooth looked like a lot of fun, but uncertain of camping logistics. Also, in June, I'm guessing there will still be snow at altitude - are microspikes enough or are crampons/ice ax required on class 3/4?

Grateful for any info you all could share. Thanks!

Matt

Matt Lemke

Re: Overnight on a 14er

by Matt Lemke » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:10 pm

You really limit yourself when you say within 2 hours of Golden. Why this limitation?

Camping on Bierstadt and Evans isn't normally a thing since everything in the region is day-hikeable, but it can be done. The Sawtooth is a good scramble. Depending on your comfort level microspikes can definitely be enough, but an axe is also always recommended. Up there you might be camping on snow in June this year. It's been a very wet year in Colorado.

no avatar
mjacobsen

Re: Overnight on a 14er

by mjacobsen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:09 pm

We are going to be there on a business trip, and will have Friday and Saturday of that week to do it. As such, doing 6-8 hours of driving doesn't seem like the best use of time. That said, let's say that travel distance isn't a big limiter. What would you suggest? Thanks!

Matt

Return to Colorado