Canadian Rockies conditions & best time to climb

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
Diggler

Canadian Rockies conditions & best time to climb

by Diggler » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Hola,

hoping to soon finalize travel plans to the Great White North for a soon upcoming climbing trip (yay!!). While I'm familiar with the area (actually went there last year), if anyone could give what conditions are (shaping up to be) or best time(s) to climb, I would be greatly appreciative, especially for mountains/routes given (prospective wish list):

* Mt. Temple- E. ridge

* Mt. Alberta- Japanese route

* Mt. Robson- Wishbone Arete

Any tips, advice, suggestions (gear, strategy, descent, otherwise...) on the above routes, or any highly recommended climbs (alpine, trad or sport cragging, whatever) greatly appreciated too. Thanks & great climbing this season to all!

seano

Re: Canadian Rockies conditions & best time to climb

by seano » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Temple -- When I was there in 2014 there was a bear restriction of 3+ people in a party for the entire area, including the east ridge and walk-up route.

Robson -- The Forster hut is pretty great for where it is, though the trail to it was a bit hard to find in 2014. Go up where the horse trail enters the talus cone below the big gully near Kinney Lake, and look right. Good luck -- the route sounds tricky and conditions-dependent.

Diggler

Re: Canadian Rockies conditions & best time to climb

by Diggler » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks for the reply, Sean! Sorry for not replying sooner- been super busy. Hope all is well!

Return to Canada and Alaska