Questions about Iztacchihuatl & Orizaba in Mexico...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
395guy

Questions about Iztacchihuatl & Orizaba in Mexico...

by 395guy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:39 pm

(1) Are there electrical outlets in the huts on Izta and Orizaba?... I've read Altzomoni on Izta has an electric light, but not sure if it has an electrical plug. Wondering also about electricity at Piedra Grande hut on Orizaba.

(2) The high hut (Grupo de los Cien at 15,300') on Izta looks like an old metal trailer. I imagine that would not be a good place to wait out a storm in the night. Any stories or experiences about storms and that hut?

(3) It sounds like the route up Izta is rather straightforward, relatively speaking... unlike the Labyrinth on Orizaba. Also, it sounds like crampons and ice axe are not always necessary on Izta as on Orizaba (even though, yes, I will bring both to be prepared). Is a guide on Izta necessary? (Fwiw, I've summitted Rainier twice roped up with RMI, once in good weather, once in bad.)

...although I read that ajaysomani was unable to find a good route up Izta by himself:
climbing-partner-needed-orizaba-and-iztaccihuatl-april-2014-t67209.html

Fwiw, my primary goal is to summit Orizaba... Izta is more for acclimatizing... although I hope to bag Izta in the process since it's such a great mtn by itself.

Any thoughts about the need for a guide on Izta?

(4) Any ideas about finding good reasonable auto insurance for a rental car?

I've seen several trip reports that mention renting a car, which would make transport simpler. And renting a car in Mexico is dirt cheap (often only $1/day)... but the Mexican auto insurance on a rental can be off the charts (sometimes $80+ a day). Any suggestions about reasonable auto insurance on a rental car with good coverage?
(Note: I still plan to hire a 4x4 taxi to get to the Piedra Grande hut on Orizaba. I know that road is bad and not driveable for a rental car.)

If not, I guess I'll ride the buses, and hire 4x4 taxis to take me to trailheads from Amecameca and Tlachichuca.

Thanks in advance. I welcome any other suggestions. Thanks again.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Questions about Iztacchihuatl & Orizaba in Mexico...

by Scott » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 am

1) Are there electrical outlets in the huts on Izta and Orizaba?...

For Orizaba, no. I have not stayed in the lodge near Izta. Make sure to get the key in Amecameca or Paso Cortez if you do. We didn't and that's why we couldn't stay there.

(2) The high hut (Grupo de los Cien at 15,300') on Izta looks like an old metal trailer. I imagine that would not be a good place to wait out a storm in the night.

If you go during the dry season, I wouldn't worry about it.

(3) Is a guide on Izta necessary?

It depends on who you are. Thousands of people have done it without guides.

(4) Any ideas about finding good reasonable auto insurance for a rental car?

If not, I guess I'll ride the buses, and hire 4x4 taxis to take me to trailheads from Amecameca and Tlachichuca.

Riding the (very comfortable and convenient) bus is much better option and less hassle in my opinion.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
395guy

395guy

by 395guy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:37 am

Thanks, Scott.

(2) The high hut (Grupo de los Cien at 15,300') on Izta looks like an old metal trailer. I imagine that would not be a good place to wait out a storm in the night.

>>If you go during the dry season, I wouldn't worry about it.

Late October. It's kinda borderline between the rainy and dry seasons. Since I would be using Izta as an acclimatization hike, I was thinking about staying at the high hut one night.

Thanks again.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 am

395guy wrote:Thanks, Scott.

>>If you go during the dry season, I wouldn't worry about it.

Late October. It's kinda borderline between the rainy and dry seasons. Since I would be using Izta as an acclimatization hike, I was thinking about staying at the high hut one night.

Thanks again.

I wouldn't worry too much about a storm violent enough to rip the hut apart. A lot of people use that hut and as far as I know, no one has died doing so. The hut was very full last December, but in late October, it shouldn't be a problem most of the time.

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:30 pm

For rental car insurance, use your credit card insurance to cover the rental car itself. Whatever rental company you use will require you to buy their own liability insurance. There's no way around this so you need to research this before you show up at the rental car counter so that you will already know the true cost. My last trip was in 2013 and Thrifty was charging $17us/day for $100,000us coverage. Also, somehow it always seems to cost something more than my estimate, though not drastically so.

I have always been able to get an economy rental car up to the Altzomoni hut and over to La Joya trailhead but it has required careful driving. I've driven the road several times in 5 trips.
Also, if you do rent, you'll need a good, current gps and know that it will likely be out of date.
I've used rental cars for the convenience of getting from place to place in the quickest fashion, MEX to Amecameca to La Joya to Apizaco and La Malinche at the hour I need to be there. If you don't have too tight a schedule, using buses and taxis would certainly be cheaper.

Agree that the Grupo de los Cien hut would be safe. It appears to be well sheltered. Check out the ruins of the hut on the ridge around the Knees, the old Igloo hut. Not so well sheltered up there! The trail up Izta is fairly obvious though there are a couple of spots that might be easy to take a wrong turn, especially if you're starting up before it's light. I like Izta. It's a great, fun mountain. Orizaba's just higher.
Also, Altzomoni has electric lights so I'm guessing there must be outlets but I never looked for one so can't state absolutely.

JimS

The following user would like to thank mtnjim for this post
395guy

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean