Williamson/Tyndall conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
xiainx

Williamson/Tyndall conditions

by xiainx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any recent information on the routes up Mt Williamson and/or Mt Tyndall via Shepherd's Pass. Thanks!

no avatar
xiainx

Re: Williamson/Tyndall conditions

by xiainx » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:34 pm

If you're reading this and planning to head out for Mt Williamson and you're feeling charitable, bring a notebook for the summit register. The current one is very full!

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:49 am

So what'd you find for conditions?

no avatar
xiainx

by xiainx » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Conditions on Williamson were generally good. The trail up shepherd pass still has a patch or two of snow, but there's an easy-to-follow use trail around it. Traversing the Williamson bowl was not as bad as I was lead to believe online. There were a couple sections of serious talus (big and loose), but mostly it was pretty easy cross country travel. We walked over a few sections of snow, again quite easy, no spikes needed. Above the black stain, we found a couple patches of snow that could easily be by-passed by sticking to one side. The chimney was in good conditions, as was the scramble to the top.

Unfortunately, our weather window closed on Sunday afternoon, so we couldn't climb Tyndall, but the North Rib looked good to me.

I posted some pictures that I took on Facebook (should be publicly viewable): https://www.facebook.com/xiainx/media_s ... nref=story

Note that this was all 2 weeks ago, and since then there have been several storms in the Sierra, so this may have changed. For example, about one week later I was up on Whitney, and the Whitney trail was all covered in snow and ice. Fine on the trail, but I went to try Mt Muir and bailed because I couldn't get any solid hand/foot placements.

HTH! Let me know if you have more specific questions :-)

The following user would like to thank xiainx for this post
96avs01

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Many thanks! Heading over Taboose Pass this coming week with hopes of Arrow Peak and Mt. Ruskin. Definitely changing seasons and conditions. Cheers

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 pm

ooopphh. did you get up there before the snow Chris?

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:44 pm

powderjunkie wrote:ooopphh. did you get up there before the snow Chris?

We punted on Taboose and played around on other stuff in the Sierra and Inyo-Whites. Plenty of unconsolidated snow above 11K made things type II fun at best.

Return to California