best GPS apps for a phone

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
395guy

best GPS apps for a phone

by 395guy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Now that apps & phone batteries are better, what's the best GPS phone app for tracking while hiking? Are phones and phone apps catching up to independent GPS devices made by Garmin and others?

Thanks in advance.

The_Cat_Guy

Re: best GPS apps for a phone

by The_Cat_Guy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:03 pm

I don't know about actual GPS devices like the ones Garmin makes although they should be way more reliable than a phone. Further i use an app called Viewranger, it is pretty great, uses Open Street Maps (although you can get better maps, some paid some free if you live in UK, US, etc). I use it as a traker and a map when i climb, hike. It is great for non mountaineering mountains where a general 'Trail' exists since it is marked.
I've found it very reliable and easy to use.

Hope i helped, best of luck.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 pm

I don't know what is the best, but I know about two that I have used and think work well.

I currently use Gaia on my iPhone. I like it and it's features. I like that you can log in to your account separately on a computer and upload/download things.

I have also used US Topo by Atlogis on an Android phone. I like it. It has many more base map layers than Gaia. Features and user interface is a little different than Gaia. Probably not better or worse. I don't think it was available for iPhone when I switched phones over a year ago.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:24 pm

I use Offline Topo Maps by TrailBehind. Not for tracking but just for the maps... both topo and satellite and it is easy to download maps if you will not have reception. Great for those purposes.

cab

by cab » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 pm

I use Backcountry Navigator for my Android phone. It has completely replaced my separate GPS unit and works really well and has lots of different map layers. I paid a one-time $9.99 fee for the app several years ago, but I understand their pricing model may change for a new version they are rolling out. I think my one-time fee will continue to provide access to the app for a few more years, but I don't know that it will last forever.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:00 pm

I've been using Backcountry Navigator on my Galaxy S5 just starting this year and really like it. Like Cab I think I paid $10, a bargain IMHO.

awilsondc

by awilsondc » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:40 am

I have used both Gaia and Backcountry Navigator and like both. I tend to use Gaia the most these days, although BC Nav is coming out with a new version or update or something which I'm excited to try. Both will do what you need them to in place of a stand alone GPS device.

Return to Gear