wdimpfl

Offline

A Little About Me

While I learned to love the mountains from Boy Scout summer camp in the California Sierra Nevada, my interest in technical climbing was inspired by the movie "The Mountain" starring Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner. In this classic film Spencer Tracy overcomes a technical difficulty using pitons. I had previously considered rock climbing a "dare devil" past time, which didn't interest me. The technical aspect did however, offering the ability of equipment and the logical application of it to overcome challenging obstacles safely. I started technical climbing on the summit outcrops of Mt. Tamalpias near San Francisco in about 1966, at age 21.

Climbing holds memories of countless enjoyable adventures. My mountaineering adventures often ended in a painful "death march" leaving me with little desire to climb again. But memory of pain fades quickly and inevitably I was looking for the next adventure within a month. My most ambitious adventure was leading an expedition to make the 2nd ascent of the East Buttress of Denali in 1977. By the mid '80s I started a family and I felt the objective hazards from the level at which I was climbing were not conscionable for the risk of depriving my children of their father in their childhood. More recently I've returned to some rock climbing in an effort to remain young in mind.

My Images

See all of my 103 Images:

My Lists

Show Lists

Content loading here...

Messages Relevant to Me

Messages Posted to My Contributions

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Replies to My Messages

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Messages I Posted/ Editable Objects

Messages I've Posted

Show Messages

Content loading here...

Objects I Can Edit

Show Objects

Content loading here...

Reviews I Posted/Reviews Posted to my Gear

Reviews I've Posted

Show Reviews

Content loading here...

Reviews Posted to my Gear

Show Reviews

Content loading here...

Objects Others Have Attached to My Objects

Show Attached Objects

Content loading here...

Photos Others Have Attached to My Objects

Show Attached Photos

Content loading here...