2021 Trip Log

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.07853°N / 108.5526°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 1, 2021

Introduction

This is just a simple log to keep track of our 2021 trips.

See the 2020 Trip Log for 2020

See the 2019 Trip Log for 2019

See the 2018 Trip Log for 2018

See the 2017 Trip Log for 2017.

See the 2016 Trip Log for 2016.

See the 2015 Trip Log for 2015.

See the 2014 Trip Log for 2014.

See the 2013 Trip Log for 2013.

See the 2012 Trip Log for 2012.

See the 2011 Trip Log for 2011.

See the 2010 Trip Log for 2010.

See the 2009 Trip Log for 2009.

See also the 2008 Trip Log for 2008.

DECEMBER

December 31: Antigua de San Francisco Via Ferrata (Ecuador)

Shaylee, Kessler, and I headed for the Antigu de San Francisco Park to do their "extreme" yrails, zipline, bridge, and via ferrata.  The via feratta and bridge sections of the trails were actually good exercise and rather exciting.  It was definitely enough to work up a good sweat.

December 30: Rio Blanco Slot Canyon (Ecuador)

After rafting the Pastaza River, Shaylee, Kessler, and I headed to Rio Blanco for some canyoning.  It was a really good canyon, but rather short.  It was a pretty one though.

December 29: Salto Olavida/Un-named(?) Summit (Ecuador)

Shaylee, Kessler, and I headed for the Amazon for some hiking and wildlife viewing.  

We hiked to the waterfall at Olavida.  Itvwas raining the whole time, but that made the falls really powerful and impressive.

After hiking to the falls we climbed a (nameless?) peak for the views, but most of the time everything was shrouded in mist. 

December 27: Imbabura/Laguna de Cuicocha (Ecuador)

Early in the morning, Kessler, Shaylee, and I headed for Imbabura (volcano), but half way up Shaylee developed big blisters.  We decided to head back down.

After the Inbabura attempt we headed for the very scenic hike around Laguna de Cuicocha on the slopes of the Cotocachi volcano..  we did a one way hike around part of the crater rime, but didn't have time for the full loop around the rim of the crater.  Itcwas a very scenic hike.

December 26: Fuya Fuya (Ecuador)

Today Kessler, Shaylee, and I climbed the beautiful Fuya Fuya volcano.  It was a nice climb and had some fun scrambling.

December 23: Bioparque Ukumari (Colombia)

I don't know if this really counts, but Kessler, Shaylee, and I walked all of the trails at the Bioparque Ukamari which is more of a zoo an animal park than a true hiking area.


December 22: Nevado Santa Isabel (Colombia)

We woke up before 1 AM to get ready for the climb.  Shaylee decided that she didn't want to do the climb so Kessler and I packed up and got ready to go.

Leo, Kessler, and I drove to the beginning of the trail and headed up.  It was a steady climb and there were signs pointing out where the Central Glacier was in 1900, 1960, 1990, 2003, and 2010.  Sadly, it's almost gone.

At the head of the Central Glacier, we climbed a very steep chute through the cliffs to a small plateau below the summit glacier.

We climbed over the moraine and put on out glacier gear before roping uo the glacier.  The first part was on steep ice then it was a fairly gentle climb up the gentle glacier to the summit. 

We reached the summit just after sunrise. It was cloudy sometimes, but the clouds would break for some spectacular views.

After enjoying the summit, we headed back down. We saw some interesting birds at the snout of the glacier.

December 21: Laguna Verde (Colombia)

From the Refugio Cisne Shaylee, Kessler, Leo, and I hiked to an overlook of Laguna Verde.  It was a nice hike up to 4450 meters/14,600 feet and the weather was great.

December 20:  Cascada Molinos (Colombia)

Leo, Kessler, Shaylee, and I hiked to the spectacular Cascada Molinos. We hiked to both the top and bottom of the waterfall.  It was a really beautiful place.  We also saw two condors in the vicinity.

December 16: No Thoroughfare Canyon (Colorado)

At night I hiked into lower No Thoroughfare Canyon.  It was a little cloudy, but the moon was still bright.  

December 15: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Immediately after work I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock on a windy and chilly evening.  There was a bit of fresh snow as well.

December 13: Riggs Hill (Colorado)

Alone and late at night, I climbed Riggs Hill, completing the loop hike.

December 11-12:  Bullock Draw (Utah)

December 11

Kimberly, Kessler, and I did a backpacking trip in Bullock Draw in the San Rafael Swell. It isn't an area that is visited often and there is zero information online about the canyon, but it is beautiful. It isn't that far from home either.

We hiked from near Dutchman Arch to the head of Bullock Draw and found a really rugged and steep route in.  The rest of the route was much gentler.

Since we did the backpack during a cold snap and since it was pretty high elevation (6000-7200 feet) it was a chilly 8 degrees in the morning and not that warm in the day, but it was nice and sunny.

We found some springs in the upper end of the canyon, but they were tainted with sulphur so we hiked to the lower canyon to look for water. I headed down canyon and Kessler looked in a side canyon. I didn't find water down canyon, but there was one pothole in the side canyon with water. It was under 5" of ice though so we had to break the ice with a big rock to get to the water.  We decided to set up camp on the slickrock in the side canyon.



December 12

Since we did the backpack during a cold snap and since it was pretty high elevation (6000-7200 feet) it was a chilly 8 degrees in the morning and not that warm in the day, but it was nice and sunny.  We hiked up the side canyon, passing many impressive buttes and towers along the way.  We explored the area around the towers and buttes before making our way back to the trailhead.

It was a nice weekend and the scenery was great.



December 10: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the loop on Dinosaur Hill.  It was a little chilly and it was muddy in a few places, but it was still a nice hike.  There was just a skiff of snow in the shade.

December 8: Echo Canyon (Colorado)

Shaylee and I hiked the Echo Canyon Trail after dark.

December 7: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

After dark, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  It was a nice night under a crescent moon, but was a little chillier than it has been.

December 6: Redlands Mesa (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kim, and I hiked Redlands Mesa, making a loop hike and visiting Mr. Bones along the way.

December 5: McGraw Benchmark (Utah)

In the afternoon, Kimberly and I hiked up the McGraw Benchmark south of Cisco.  It was an isolated peak that isn't climbed too much, but the views were great and it was warm for December.

 

December 4: Quail Mountain (Colorado)

Today I climbed Quail Mountain with the 14ers.com gathering.  The conditions were really dry and there was almost no snow!  About 1/2 the group climbed Quail Mountain and about 1/2 climbed Mount Hope, but I went for Quail Mountain since the group moving a littler slower. It was a great little climb, but was sad to see how little snow there was, even well above 13,000 feet!

  

December 3: Bullet Hole Boulders/Sport Boulder/Bullet Hole Cliff Band (Colorado)

After work Kessler and I climbed Sally's Knobs before heading to the Bullet Hole Cliff Band.  We both climbed Walk on the Wild Side and Fingers.  Kessler climbed Chimney, but I failed on it.

We then climbed Trip Won on the Sport Boulder.  It was once again very warm for December!

December 2:  Bullet Hole Boulders/Slab Boulder (Colorado)

In the late afternoon, Kessler and I started with a climb of Sally's Knobs on Sally's Boulder before heading up to the Slab Boulder. We climbed Had It All, Open Court, Loaded and Prime Number.  Even in the shade, it was warm for December!  

December 1: Gunny Loop (Colorado)

Shaylee and I hiked the Gunny Loop at night.  It was slightly chilly, but actually pretty nice for December.

NOVEMBER

November 30: Devils Canyon (Colorado)

After work, Kim and I hiked some of the trails around Devils Canyon on a nice evening.

November 29: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the loop on Dinosaur Hill after work.

November 25-28: South Kaibab Trail/Tonto Trail/Grandview Trail (Arizona)

Shaylee, Kessler, Kimberly, and I hiked the South Kaibab to Grandview Trail in the Grand Canyon over Thanksgiving weekend.  We had previously celebrated Thanksgiving dinner the weekend prior with family.

This was the first trailed hike we had done in the canyon in 11 years.  Kessler and I had been to the Grand Canyon several times since then including three times in the past year, but those were on off trail routes.  I have to admit that hiking on a trail was a nice change of pace in the rugged Grand Canyon.  It was much more relaxing than previous trips.

November 25

Today we hiked down the South Kaibab Trail to The Tipoff.  While the views from the South Kaibab Trail are spectacular, it is one of my least favorite trails in the Grand Canyon.   The grade is gentler than most Grand Canyon routes, but the trail is overused, very dusty, and very stinky due to mule urine and droppings.  We enjoyed the views along the way but were very glad to get that part of the hike over with.  Kim’s knees aren’t what they used to be, so she was especially glad to get that part over with. We had a nice lunch at The Tipoff and headed east on the Tonto Trail.  The crowds were left behind and the route was much more enjoyable from here on out.  I had promised a mostly gentle stroll, but the crossings of the forks of Cremation Creek were a bit steeper than expected.   Still, we made good time along the Tonto Trail.  We did see one bighorn skeleton in one of the canyons, but no live bighorns.  We met two hikers along the way who were hiking in the opposite direction.  They told us that the spring at Lonetree Canyon was dry and they were low on water. Since Lonetree was our planned campsite, we weren’t happy to hear this, but we had enough water to squeak by if we had to.  The hikers also told us that one camper at Grapevine Canyon had to spend the night in a tree since a mountain lion wouldn’t stop staring at him throughout the night!

After letting the hikers know that there was water at The Tipoff, we parted ways and hiked the Tonto Trail to Lonetree Canyon.  Kim and I set up camp while the kids explored down Lonetree Canyon to look for the spring.  They returned 45 minutes later and said that they found the spring and that it had plenty of water. We all hiked down the canyon and filled up with water and ate dinner at the beautiful spring. It was a nice crystal-clear pool with a tiny creek flowing out of it.  It was much better than the mud puddle I expected!  The other hikers must have either been looking in the wrong place or didn’t go down canyon far enough. After dinner we went to bed under a starry sky.

 

November 26

Today we hiked the Tonto Trail from Lonetree Canyon to Grapevine Canyon.  For the most part, it was pretty gentle, but since they trail isn’t used that much, we had to follow it carefully. It was a beautiful hike and the views around Grapevine Canyon to the Colorado River far below were probably the best on the entire route.

Grapevine Creek was flowing crystal clear and was another nice desert oasis.  We didn’t see any signs of the mountain lion and wondered if the story that was told to us was true. It was another nice night but was chillier than expected.  Grapevine Canyon must collect cold air draining off the surrounding terrain.

November 27

I was up early (before sunrise), but no one else was interested in getting up early so I set off alone to explore Grapevine Canyon towards the Colorado River.  It was really scenic and one of the highlights of the trip.  There were several waterfalls and nice little springs with ferns.  The canyon walls were tall and rather spectacular.  I returned a few hours later and the others were finally ready to get out of the sleeping bags. We hiked to Cottonwood Creek along the Tonto Trail and it too was a pleasant hike.  We were warned about exposure along the route, but it wasn’t bad at all. 

We reached Cottonwood Creek in the early afternoon and decided to push on to Horseshoe Mesa.  Since there is no water at Horseshoe Mesa we tanked up at Cottonwood Creek and had a feast since we cooked all of our remaining food that required water. We also made cheesecake and pudding.  After our feast we headed up to Horseshoe Mesa along the steep old trail.  We set up camp in a place that had some great views and read a bit before heading to bed.

November 28

Today we hiked the Grandview Trail up to the rim.  We had been warned of washouts, but they weren’t too bad and we made pretty good time.  The trail wasn’t that difficult, but as all routes out of the Grand Canyon is rather relentlessly uphill.  Still, we made it to the top in good time where we found our car waiting for us. It was a great trip with lots of fantastic scenery.  We stopped at Desertview for a short hike on the way out and for one last look into the Grand Canyon.

 

November 24: Eagles Nest Rock/Peak 5750 (Colorado)

Early in the morning, I made a climb of Eagles Nest Rock and Peak 5750.

November 23:  Colorado River Trail (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked a section of the Colorado River Trail at night.

November 22: Eagles Nest Rock/Peak 5750 (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I climbed Eagles Nest Rock and Peak 5750 at sunset.  We made a loop hike.

November 21: Palisade Rim (Colorado) Shaylee, Kessler, Kimberly, and I did a nice loop hike up the new Palisade Plunge Trail and down the Palisade Rim Trail.  It was a nice hike and we stopped to see the petroglyphs half way.

 

November 20: Peak 4629 (Utah)

I was't feeling well after my vaccination, so Kessler and I headed for Peak 4629 in Utah since it was expected to be an easy ascent.  It is one of the closest summits to home that I hadn't done yet.  As expected, the climb was easy and we did it in less time than expected.

November 18: Big Sister (Colorado)

Shaylee and I climbed Big Sister on the Lunch Loops in the dark and at night.  The moon was mostly covered in clouds, otherwise, it would have been a bright night.

November 17: Mack BM (Colorado)

After school and work, Shaylee, Kessler, and I climbed Mack BM on a nice late afternoon/evening.

November 16: Rough Canyon/Mica Mine (Colorado)

Shaylee and I hiked to the Mica Mine after work and school.  I had forgotten how pretty it was and it was a beautiful hike.  We returned well after sunset.

November 15: Opal Hill (Colorado)

Shaylee and I hiked Opal Hill after school and work.  We took the longer loop in from the north.  It was a nice November evening.  

November 14: Liberty Cap Trail (Colorado)

At night, Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the Liberty Cap Trail.

November 13: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock/Window Rock (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kessler, and three of my nieces and I hiked Eagles Nest Rock and Peak 5750.  Two nieces and I took a longer loop hike taking in several of the other trails.

Later that day we hiked Window Rock.

November 12: Serpents Trail (Colorado)

Shaylee and three of my nieces and I hiked the Serpents Trail at night.

November 11: Bullet Hole Cliff Band/Serpents Trail (Colorado)

Kessler and I headed for Bullet Hole Cliff Band.  We both climbed Bones and Scout on the Sport Boulder and A Little Dreary and Strike a Pose on the cliff band.  We also climbed Bullet Hole Boulder and Sally's Boulder.  Kessler also climbed Random Sport, but I didn't do that one since we were short on time.  The climbs were good, but too short!  At night Kimberly, Shaylee, and I hiked the Serpents Trail.

November 10:  Peak 5750 (Colorado)

At night and alone, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  It was dark, chilly, and windy, but still not a bad hike.

November 9: Fruita Paleontological Area (Colorado)

After work, Kim and I hiked the trails at the Fruita Paleontological Area.  We also hiked to the Skinner Cabin.

November 8: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the loop on Dinosaur Hill after work.

November 7: East Fork Ribbon Canyon/Ribbon Canyon (Colorado)

Kessler and I completed East Ribbon Canyon and Ribbon Canyon.  I left the camera in the car so didn’t get any photos.   We didn’t bring a watch and moved rather quickly.  We completed the entire route in less than two hours.  As usual, the route was really beautiful and is one of my favorites in the Grand Junction area. 

November 6:  Crag Crest (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I headed for Crag Crest.  There was one other person on the trail, plus a father and daughter. We decided to leave our snowshoes in the car.  The first half of the route had some snow and mud, but wasn't that bad.  The second half of the route had a lot more snow.  The snow actually got quite deep as we approached the ridge and I sank up to my waist.  It was quite strenuous.  Kim stopped short of the top of the ridge.  Shaylee and I punched our way through though and enjoyed the views before heading back to meet Kim.

November 5: Haystack 3 BM (Colorado)

Shaylee and I climbed Haystack 3 BM in the evening.  We took the direct route up the west face.  It is a short, but strenuous routes.   We reached the summit not long before sunset.  The views were really nice.

November 4: Opal Hill (Colorado)

After work, Kim and I hiked Opal Hill and some of the other nearby trails on a very nice evening.

November 3: Devils Canyon (Colorado)

After work, Kimberly and I hiked Devils Canyon and a really nice afternoon.  The weather was perfect. 

November 2: Serpents Trail (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the Serpents Trail at night.  It rained just before our hike, but it was over by the time we started.

November 1: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Shaylee and I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock at night and by headlamp.

OCTOBER

October 30-31: Floy Canyon (Utah)

October 30

Alone I headed to Floy Canyon in the Book Cliffs to backpack up the canyon. I have a decades old book stating that the upper part of Floy Canyon is similar to Bryce Canyon and I wanted to see it.   While the canyon used to be easy to access, the section of state land at the mouth of the canyon has been sold or leased, making access more difficult.  There used to be an old and abandoned ranch here, but years ago (perhaps in the 1930’s?) the land was sold to the State of Utah. In recent decades the state sold it and the ranch is again privately owned.  A few years ago I scouted a route around the private land and had planned to backpack up the canyon on a future date. While Floy Canyon is well off the beaten track, it is even more so now that the ranch partially blocks access.  I don't know if the ranch is occupied (from above I didn't see any signs of stirring or vehicles, but avoiding the private land is always recommended. I found a place to park next to the Wilderness Study area and headed straight up the ridge east of Floy Canyon.   It was really steep and there were some cliffs to get around.  I had to cross two big drainages as well before coming across an old road that took me to the floor of the canyon.   It took about two hours to follow the route that avoided the ranch property and it was slow going.

Once I was in the canyon the going got much easier and there was an old 4wd road in the canyon that doesn’t seem to have any 4wds on it for many years.  There were some ATV tracks that were perhaps a few years old.  I followed the old track up the canyon.  The going was easy and the canyon has a crystal clear stream throughout.  Along the way were some really neat balanced rocks.  I made it up to near the confluence of Dry Fork and the main fork of Floy Canyon before setting up camp.  Since it gets dark early at the end of October, I brought a book to  read and finished it by headlamp. 

October 31

In the morning, I headed up canyon.  The going was pretty easy, but I was disappointed to see that ATVs had pushed farther into the WSA than was indicated by the map.   I passed an old sheep trailer not far above my camp.  The road isn’t good enough to haul it out so it is a historical artifact!  When I reached the confluence of the Dry Fork and Main Fork or Floy Canyon, I decided to stay left and into the main canyon.  The canyon isn’t as spectacular as many areas of Utah, but it has its own beauty and certainly has solitude.  I could see some spectacular buttes ahead.  I made it to the confluence of the three forks in the upper canyon before deciding it was time to head back. As mentioned at the beginning of October 30’s entry, I was looking for the part of Floy Canyon that was similar to Bryce Canyon.  Could it be father up canyon?  Which fork was it in?  There are four major forks in the upper Floy Canyon system.  Did I pass it?   Could it have been the balanced rocks I had seen on day 1?   I thought of that, but the book says upper Floy Canyon and where the balanced rocks are is in middle Floy at best.  I don’t know where the Bryce Canyon section of the canyon is that was mentioned in that old book, but perhaps future explorers can go look for it. 

October 29: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked Dinosaur Hill after work on a really nice afternoon.

October 28: Redlands Mesa (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked up to Redlands Mesa at night to see Mr. Bones.  The hike was more challenging since we only brought one headlamp.   

October 27: Colorado River Trail (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the Colorado River Trail at night.

October 25: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

After work, Kim and I hiked up Dinosaur Hill, completing the loop hike.

October 24: Good Day Jim Slot (Utah)

Matt, Kessler, and I completed the Good Day Jim Slot Canyon in the East Fork of Sevenmile Canyon near Ticaboo Mesa.  It was a good canyon, but had a lot of stinky mud and all the previous anchors were blown out by recent storms.  We made it through with some "creative anchoring".  There were some new obstacles due to the floods including an addition semi-keeper pothole.  We took the longer exit out, which was pretty tiring since the canyon took a bit longer than expected.

October 23: Mount Ellsworth (Utah)

Mount Ellsworth must have one of the best views in the world, but despite it being somewhat small on paper, it's a strenuous climb.  It is steep and loose in places, but the views are worth it. There was some snow around too. Matt, Kessler, and I made the climb and enjoyed the spectacular views.  

October 22: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked Dinosaur Hill after work, completing the loop hike.

October 21: Peak 8885 (Colorado)

On my way back from Alamosa, I stopped to climb Peak 8885.  It was more interesting than expected and a nice little peak.

October 20: Dillon Pinnacles (Colorado)

On my way to Alamosa, I stopped to hike the interesting Dillon Pinnacles trail.

October 19: Devils Kitchen (Colorado)

At night and under a bright moon, I hiked to Devils Kitchen.

October 18: Echo Canyon (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the Echo Canyon Trail in Colorado National Monument at night.

October 17: Peak 6100 (Colorado)

Today I climbed Peak 6100.  It was quite the ordeal.  I lost my phone half way up and spent a lot of time looking for it, going up and down the mountain.  There was a person descending with a dog (they didn't make the summit) and I asked if he could call the phone while he followed me down the mountain.  It worked and it was found on the third call. I then headed back up the peak I took a route and climbed to the summit too early.  It was really scary and dangerous with lots of exposure and wet rock.  It was not a good route.   I found the correct way down, meeting a group of three (who were part of the group with the person and dog mentioned earlier) along the way.   With all the looking for the phone and getting on the wrong route, the climb took much longer than expected.

October 16: Great Sand Dunes/Zapata Falls (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I first heaed for Great Sand Dunes National Park and hiked on High Dune, but we didn't go to the top.  We explored around a bit before heading back down. We then headed to Zapata Falls. Kim and I hiked to the falls while Shaylee stayed in the car to read.  The hike was nice, but it was tricky staying dry since the rocks had ice on them at the stream crossing.  

October 15: San Luis Lake (Colorado)

In the evening, Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the shoreline of San Luis Lake in the evening.  There wasn't much wildlife out today.

October 13:  Old Spanish Trail (Colorado)

After work I stopped for a hike along the Old Spanish Trail.

October 12: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

After work and in the rain, snow, and hail, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.

October 11: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

In the late evening, Shaylee, Kimberly, and I climbed Dinosaur Hill, completing the loop hike. 

October 10: Quarry/Unaweep Canyon (Colorado)

Kessler and I climbed at the Quarry in Unaweep Canyon while the girls watched.  We climbed Block-Eh, SGT Stiglitz, and Bear J. The climbing was interesting and the rock good.  We thought SGT Stiglitz was by far the best of the climbs.

October 9: Peak 6961/Miracle Rock (Colorado)

Kim and I first climbed Peak 6961.  It was a bit more challenging that we expected, but somewhere there is supposed to be a class 2 route up there.  Our route from the east was harder, but there was a house to the north and we didn't want to get close to it.  We scrambled up four cliff bands on our route.  It was an interesting route, but the rock was wet. After climbing Peak 6961 we headed for Miracle Rock and hiked the trail to the rock before heading back home.

October 7: Serpents Trail (Colorado)

After sunset, Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the Serpents Trail on a nice evening.

October 6: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

After work I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock on a beautiful evening.

October 5: Peak 10,989 (Colorado)

On my way back from Alamosa, I stopped at Lujan Pass (near North Cochatopa Pass) to climb Peak 10,989.  There were a few old logging trails along the way, but it was mostly an off trail hike through a logging area.   For the most part, the climb was uninteresting and there weren't many views at all.

The drive to Lujan Pass was pretty though and there were some nice autumn leaves.  I saw several moose including a bull moose, cow, and calf.

October 4:  Needle Rock Trail (Colorado)

On my way to Alamosa, I stopped at Needle Rock near Crawford to check it out and to hike the trail.

The rock was really spectacular and the trail was a short, steep, and pretty hike.

October 3: Highline Lake Trails (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the East Bluffs and Highline Lake Trail around Highline Lake.

October 2: Crag Crest (Colorado)

Today Kimberly and I headed for Grand Mesa.  First we did a short hike along Mesa Creek to see the autumn leaves.  The leaves are right at peak and are wonderful.  We then headed up to the Crag Crest Trailhead and hiked the Crag Crest.  As always, the views were great.  

October 1: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

At night and in the dark I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock by headlamp.  It was my first hike in a few days since I was sick.

SEPTEMBER

September 28: Gunnison River Trail (Colorado)

On my way back from a long drive from Alamosa, I stopped near Blue Mountain Reservoir for a short hike.  It was raining lightly, but the main storm hit right after I got back.

September 26: The Washout/Mother's Buttress (Colorado)

Kessler and I headed to the Washout/Mother's Buttress in Unaweep Canyon.  Since it was the first technical climbing I have done since my tumor surgery, we took it pretty easy. We climbed Exultant, Grasshopper, Caveman Tools, and Menta. 

 

September 25: Cottonwood Lakes Trail (Colorado)

After work, I hiked the Cottonwood Lakes Trail up on Grand Mesa.  There were some nice fall colors around.

September 24: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

At night I climbed Eagles Nest Rock and Peak 5750.

September 23:  Gunny Loop (Colorado)

At night I hiked the Gunny Loop near Grand Junction.

September 22:  Riggs Hill (Colorado)

After work I climbed Riggs Hill on a nice afternoon.

September 21: Echo Canyon (Colorado)

At night, I hiked the Echo Canyon Trail in Colorado National Monument.

September 20: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

After work, Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the loop on Dinosaur Hill.

September 19:  Harpers Corner/Plug Hat Trail/Plug Hat Butte (Colorado)

Alone I hiked Harpers Corner, Plug Hat Trail, and Plug Hat Butte.  As usual, the views were really spectacular.  It was a nice and cool day too.

September 18:  Haystack Rock/Wagon Wheel Point (Colorado)

Tom, Mark, and I climbed Haystack Rock in the afternoon.  Most of the climb was pretty easy, but the crux of the route is a jump over a very exposed crack that must be crossed. It was even more challenging since the jump on the ascent was to a level higher than where we jumped from.  I was able to stand on a ledge in the crack and the other climbers could step on my back and shoulder to leap the crack.  I then did the jump while tied into the rope.  On the way back it was easier to leap the crack since we were jumping to a different level. It was an interesting climb for sure and the views were great.

September 16:  Haystack 2 BM (Colorado)

After sunset, Shaylee and I climbed the Haystack BM from the west.  It's a steep route, but not that long.

September 14: No Thouroughare Canyon (Colorado)

In the late evening, Kim, Shalyee, and I hiked the lower end of No Thouroughare Canyon.  We also took a side trip to the "backdoor route" to Devils Kitchen.

September 13:  Devils Canyon/Flume Canyon (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I did a night hike at Devils and Flume Canyons.

September 12: Lost Man Loop/Point 13,366/Grottos (Colorado)

Originally we (Justin, Kessler, and I) were going to go canyoneering, but we didn't know if our vehicles would reach the trailhead so we decided to do the Lost Man Loop instead.  It was a beautiful hike and we took a side trip to climb Point 13,366 which had really spectacular views.  The entire hike was really scenic. After hiking the Lost Man Loop, we headed for the Grottos to see them as well.  The Grottos is actually a neat slot canyon in the granite.

September 11: Hayes Creek/Crystal Mill (Colorado)

Justin, Kessler, and I canyoneered Hayes Creek near Redstone.  It was a neat canyon, but a little short.  It was pretty easy other than an exposed ledge to get down to a creek. After completing Hayes Creek, we headed for Crystal Mill and poked around it before calling it a day.

September 10: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kim, and I did a late evening hike up Peak 5750. I also climbed Eagles Nest Rock.

September 9: Redlands Mesa (Colorado)

Kessler, Shaylee, and I hiked Redlands Mesa, including a visit to Mr. Bones.

September 8: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

After sunset, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.

September 7: Monument Trail (Colorado)

After sunset Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the Monument Trail from the Wildwood Trailhead.  It was a nice evening, but I wish the smoke would clear out of here.

September 6:  Dominguez Canyon (Colorado)

Kim and I started at Bridgeport and hiked to Dominguez Canyon.  We took a break at the first waterfall and then hiked up Big Dominguez before turning left and hiking up Little Dominguez.

We decided on Little Dominguez since we hadn't been up Little in many years.   We hiked up to the homestead and explored around before heading back down.

It was a hot day, but we were able to stay wet by getting into the creek.

September 4-5:  Twin Lakes Peak/Big Marvine Peak (Colorado)

September 4

Shaylee and I started on the Wall Lake Trail on the Flat Tops and followed the trail to the top of the plateau.  We then hiked over to Twin Lakes and set up camp.

After camp was set up we headed for "Twin Lakes Peak" and climbed it.  There were a few really steep places and some logs to get over, but it wasn't too bad.

After taking a break on the summit, we headed back down.  We took a steeper way down and I slipped and fell on some loose scree scratching up my back and spraining my middle finger on my left hand.

September 5

It was an incredibly cold night.  The tent was set up in a basin/bowel and was apparently in a cold air sink.  According to me recording thermometer, it was 23F when we went to bed; 14F at midnight, and 6F before sunrise!  I have never recorded such temperatures at this time of year.

In the morning we headed for Big Marvine Peak.  The peak has an interesting shape and had been on my list for decades.  The trail to the base of the peak was not very well defined, but once we were at the base of the peak it was easy to follow the old trail up even though the trail seems to have been abandoned decades ago.  

It was a bit hazy from the forest fires, but the views were still nice and we enjoyed a break on the summit.

We then headed back to camp, packed up, and headed back down to the vehicle.  It was a surprisingly tiring day even though on paper it wasn't that strenuous.

Even though it was Labor Day weekend, we didn't see as many people as in other areas.  There was one other group camped at Twin Lakes and we encountered two groups on the trail.  

It was a nice trip.

September 2:  Canal Trail (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the Canal Trail after sunset.

AUGUST

August 31:  Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

After work Kim and did the loop hike over Dinosaur Hill.   It was hot, but I soaked myself with water first so it wasn't so bad.

August 30: Palisade Trail (Colorado)

Late in the evening Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the Palisade Trail along the Colorado River.  The first part of the hike wasn't pretty as it passed a construction waste site and then a water treatment plant, but it was better after that.

August 29: Spencer Canyon (Utah)

Kim and I headed for Spencer Canyon.  It had been on my list for a long time.  It was a great canyon, but a little harder than expected (though not difficult).  There were five swims, two of them long, one rappel, and many downclimbs.  The most challenging part was a steep over a narrow place since we had to start the stem while swimming and the rocks were wet and slippery.

Before making the hot hike across the desert, we took a dip into the final pool so the hike out would be more pleasant.  We were dry by the time we reached the vehicle.

August 28:  Lower Calf Creek Falls (Utah)

In the afternoon, Kim and I hiked to Lower Calf Creek Falls.  There were people around, but it was less crowded than I expected.

As always, the hike was very beautiful.  It was hot, but the pool at the falls provided a cold swim since the water is always cold.

August 27:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock/Riggs Hill (Colorado)

In the morning I hiked up Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  In the late evening Shaylee and I hiked the loop over Riggs Hill.

August 26: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

In the morning, I hiked up Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  It had just rained and the temperature was really pleasant.

August 25: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock/Saddlehorn/Window Rock (Colorado)

In the morning, I hiked up Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock. 

After school, Shaylee and I found a route up Saddlehorn in Colorado National Monument using modern moki steps.  We then hiked to Window Rock.  This was the first time I had climbed Saddlehorn and it had been on my list for a long time. 

 

August 24: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock/Coke Ovens Trail (Colorado)

In the morning, I hiked up Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  It was warm, but I got a little wet so it was pleasant.

In the eveing and at sunset, Kim, Shaylee and I hiked the Coke Ovens Trail in Colorado National Monument. 

 

August 23: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

After school and work, Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked Dinosaur Hill.  It was hot, but we got wet before the hike so it wasn't bad.

August 22: Angel Creek (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I headed for Angel Creek near Ouray for some canyoning.  It was the first canyon I had done since June 13 and since my tumor surgery.  The weather was great and the canyon is a really good one.

August 21: Liberty Cap Trail (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the Liberty Cap Trail, top to bottom, stopping at Liberty Cap along the way.   It was a nice hike and the weather was much cooler than normal for August.

August 20: Serpents Trail (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the Serpents Trail at night and under a full moon.  It was a nice night hike and the temperature was perfect.

August 19: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

At night I hiked a bit of the Tie Hack Trail.  There was someone camped just up the trail.  I hope I didn't wake them up, but I tried to be quiet.

August 18: Mount Buckskin (Colorado)

After work, I finally got a weather window to climb Mount Buckskin.  I climbed both summits (I couldn't tell which one was higher) from Kite Lake.  It hailed just a little, but overall the weather was good.  

August 17: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

After work and around sunset, I hiked the Tie Hack Trail. 

August 16:  Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

At night I took a hike along the Tie Hack Trail.  It was dark and raining, but I'm hoping to hike every day this month so I had to go.

August 14-15:  Peak 12,955/Peak 12,780/Peak 12,685 (Colorado)

August 14

In the afternoon, Kim and I hiked up to Kroenke Lake and camped.  We hiked a little around the lake too.  That night it rained and hailed really hard.

August 15

In the morning, Kim decided she wanted to sleep some more instead of heading up any peaks (it was a long night with lots of rain, hail, and thunder) so I headed up some peaks.  I hiked up to the pass above Kroenke Lake and [headed for Browns Pass and Point 12,524 thinking it was ranked. I only had a large scale map since the trip was spur of the moment.  It turned out to be an unranked peak and Peak 12,956 looked too far away so I headed back over 12,955 and back to the pass].   I then headed north and over Peak 12,780 and then decended to a col and climbed up Peak 12,685. Originally I had planned to climb Birthday Peak and maybe Peak 12,776, but it was getting late in the morning and Kim had to head home to Grand Junction today, so I retreated back along the ridge and to the col between Peak 12,685 and Peak 12,780 and then found a steep route down to Kroenke Lake where I gound Kim waiting.  We packed up camp and headed back down to the trailhead.  It was a bummer not getting Birthday Peak, but maybe someday I will climb it. 

 

August 13: Buckskin Mountain (Colorado)

I had to do some work in the morning, but after that I headed for Kite Lake and Buckskin Mountain.  I wouldn't get to Kite Lake until after noon, but it looked like the weather might hold so I decided to give it a shot.   I only made it to 12,560 feet before the skies started darkening and there was some thunder.  I met a climber there coming back down with his dog.  I decided I'd better not take a chance with lightning and headed back down.  As I descended there was rain, hail, and graupel. This was my second failure on Buckskin in the past three days, but it's better to be safe than sorry.  Maybe the third time will be the charm?  

August 12: Red Hill (Colorado)

After work and in the evening, I headed for Reinecker Ridge South since I hadn't climbed it yet.  I tried to get there from the west and using the route some people had trip reports on ListsofJohn.  After trying several roads, I coudln't find a way to access the public land since all roads were marked as private.  Maybe there is a route from the east?   I then headed north to see if I could find a route to Reinecker Ridge North.  Access there was also marked private. I then decided to reclimb Red Hill instead.  I didn't start until sunset.

August 11: Buckskin Mountain (Colorado)

After work, I decided to make an attempt on Buckskin Mountain at sunset.  I headed up the steep trail to Lake Emma and then headed cross country towards the peak.  With fading daylight, I stepped into a hole in the marshy area and sank up past my knees.  Since it was about dark by then and since I was soaked, I only headed up to 12,300 feet before deciding that I'd head back and give it another shot on a different day.  

August 10: North Star Mountain (Colorado)

In the evening and after work, I headed up North Star Mountain.  It was a nice evening and I reached the summit of East North Star a few minutes before sunset.  I stayed to watch the rest of the sunset while contemplating continuing on to the west summit, but since I didn't bring the headlamp this time, I decided to head back down.  It was a really nice evening hike.  

August 9: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

After sunset I hiked the Tie Hack Trail. 

August 8: Fish Creek (Utah)

On the way back from Salt Lake City, Kim and I stopped at Fish Creek near Scofield for an afternoon hike.  It was a nice hike, but I wish all this smoke would clear out.

August 7: Cecret Lake (Utah)

Kim and I hiked to Cecret Lake in the morning.  I hadn't been there since 1997 and it has gotten a lot more popular since then!   The views were nice, but there was a lot of smoke.  

August 6: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

In the morning I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock. 

 

August 5: Serpents Trail (Colorado)

Late at night (we didn't start until after 11 PM), Shaylee, Kim, and I hiked the Serpents Trail top to bottom.  It was Shaylee's idea.

August 4: Colorado River Trail (Colorado)

Late I night, Shaylee, Kim, and I hiked the Colorado River Trail.

August 3: Canal Trail (Colorado)

Late at night, Kim and I hiked the Canal Trail.

August 2: Corn Lake Trail (Colorado)

In the evening, Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the Corn Lake Trail near Grand Junction.

August 1:  Limestone Ridge/Peak 10,350 (Colorado)

The weather forecast wasn't very good, so I headed for some lower peaks.  I first climbed Limestone Ridge between Fairplay and Buena Vista.  On the way up, I got pretty wet climbing through the grass and fallen timber, but I reached an old (and very steep) road cut before heading off trail to the summit.  The views were nice from the edge of the cliffs, but the higher peaks were all socked in. I was surprised that there were juniper trees near the summit.  I haven't seen them this high before.  After enjoying the summit, I followed the old road cut back to the vehicle.  On the descent I saw a chicken!  It was a real chicken, not a wild bird. After summitting Limestone Ridge, I decided to head north for Peak 10,350.  It was a nice hike and was only steep in a few places. The views weren't quite as good as from the edge of the cliffs on Limestone Ridge, but were still pretty good.  I then headed back, finding some interesting mining ruins on the west side of the ridge along the way. It was very cloudy and humid on the climbs, but it never did rain more than a few drops.  

JULY

July 31: Mexican Ridge (Colorado)

Because of the weather forecast, I chose a mellow peak in the morning.  I climbed Mexican Ridge near Como.  It was cloudy, but I got up there before the storms hit and I had some nice views.

July 29: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

Late in the evening, I hiked the Tie Hack Trail.

July 28: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

Late in the evening, I hiked the Tie Hack Trail.

July 27: North Star Mountain (Colorado)

After work I hike towards North Star Mountain, but I turned around at the private property sign.  I then headed down and hiked over Point 12,214.  Later I found out that you can still climb North Star, you just have to avoid the mine.  

July 26:  Peak 11,003 (Colorado)

Late evening, I climbed Peak 11,003 which is near the Buffalo Peaks.  There was a lot of deadfall and mosquitoes!  

July 25:  Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the entire Tie Hack Trail Loop.  The weather looked threatening, but it never did rain more than a few drops.  It was a nice hike.

July 24: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the Tie Hack Trail to the junction.

July 23: Salt Creek Trail (Colorado)

I hiked part of the Salt Creek Trail after work and in the late evening.   It was quite wet and the higher mountains were covered in snow.  

July 22: Jones Hill (Colorado)

In the late evening, I climbed Jones Hill near the Buffalo Peaks.   My route up had quite a bit of fallen timber at the beginning.   Since it had rained hard in the afternoon and evening, I got soaked walking though the vegetation.  I reached the summit right around dark, but didn't hang out at all since I was wet and twilight was almost gone.  The moon provided some light though. On the way back I found a route that didn't have as much fallen timber.  I saw a tan colored animal run though the trees.  Perhaps it was a mountain lion?   I can't think of any other tan animals.   I was glad to reach the vehicle since the climb had taken me longer than I expected.  

July 21: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

After sunset, I hiked the Tie Hack Trail.  

July 18: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

In the evening I hiked the Tie Hack Trail in a light rain.  

July 17: Limber Pine Grove (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the Limber Pine Grove Trail.  It was a nice hike on a nice day.

July 16:  Little Baldy Mountain (Colorado)

After work, I climbed Little Baldy Mountain.  I came from the west, but the road was rough.  It was cloudy, but the weather held and it was a nice hike to a seemingly obscure summit. 

July 15: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

At night, I hiked the Tie Hack Trail.

July 13: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

In the evening and with a light rain, I hiked the Tie Hack Trail near Fairplay.  

July 12: Sheep Ridge (Colorado)

In the late evening I hiked the Sheep Ridge.   I started out in the rain, but it cleared as I went up the peak.  The rain helped clear out some of the smoke in the air. 

 

July 11: McCullough Gulch (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked up McCullough Gulch to the waterfalls and lake.  It was a beautiful and popular hike.  I waded out into the lake to help someone else who waded out in the lake and lost his shoe!

 

July 10: Pennsylvania Mountain (Colorado)

Kim and I headed for Pennsylvania Mountain to climb it, but Kim had a headache so she stopped at point 12,871. Interestingly, it seems that most people stop at that point as there were many people on the mountain, but I was the only one to sign the summit register that day.   It was a nice hike, but there was a lot of smoke in the air.  That could be the reason for Kim's headache.

July 9: London Mountain (Colorado)

Alone and after work, I climbed London Mountain.  I walked the Mosquito Pass Road up to the west ridge of London Mountain and climbed it to the summit.  It was a better route than it looked like from below.  It was a nice hike and I saw several marmots.

July 8: Peak 12,454 (Colorado)

After work I climbed Peak 12,454.  At first I was going to climb South Peak again from Weston Pass, but along the way I decided to do Peak 12,454 since I hadn't done it yet.  It ended up being longer than it looked and I reached the summit just before sunset.  Along the way I saw many elk, a badger, and a coyote.

July 7: Round Hill (Colorado)

Before work, I climbed Round Hill.  Most of the route was along an old closed road, but the last part of the route had some "interesting" bushwhacking through some young aspens.  It was a nice hike, but the views weren't as expansive as they were from the other summits I have climbed in the area.

July 6:  Sheep Mountain (Colorado)

Before work and when I should have been sleeping (I had to work night shift), I climbed Sheep Mountain (the one near Fairplay) on a nice day.

July 5: Limber Pine Grove (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the Limber Pine Grove Trail.  When we were about to start, it started hailing so we waited in the vehicle for it to stop.  After the hail, we hiked to the Limber Pine Grove.  Some of the trees are more than 1600 years old and have an interesting shape.  It was raining for much of our hike, but it was a nice hike anyway.

 

July 4: Lost Creek (Colorado) Kim and I started at the Lost Park Trailhead and hiked the trail along Lost Creek to the center of East Lost Park.  It rained much of the time, but it was a nice hike and the rock formations were beautiful.  

July 3: Panorama Point (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked Panorama Point from Boreas Pass.  We had been there several times in winter, but this was the first time in summer so the scenery was quite different.

July 2: Crystal Lake (Colorado)

After work I hiked to Crystal Lake.  It was a nice and easy hike other than several mudholes that had to be passed.  

July 1: South Peak (Colorado)

After work I climbed South Peak near Weston Pass.  Part of the route was wet so I got my feet wet.  I saw several pikas and elk along the way.  The summit views were nice, but I saw an approaching storm so I hurried down the mountain, arriving at the vehicle just as the full brunt of the storm hit. 

JUNE

June 30: Tie Hack Trail (Colorado)

In the evening and after work, I hiked part of the Tie Hack Trail since it is near the cabin I am staying in.  It was a nice forest walk.

June 29: Mount Sheridan (Colorado)

After working a long shift near Fairplay, I headed to the Mt. Sherman Trailhead to climb Mount Sheridan.  I started up the mountain at 7:00 PM or so and got to the summit around 8:15 PM.  Above 13,000 feet the mountains were covered in ice fog so I didn't get a view from the summit, though I did sign the summit log.  The fog became quite thick and I did get disorientated at one place on the way down.  I found were I was and was able to make it down to the mountain, arriving at the vehicle just after 9:00 PM.

June 26: Black Ridge (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the Black Ridge Trail in the morning.  We started at the Liberty Cap Trailhead and hiked to the CCC Trail and back.  It was a nice day and not too hot for the time of year.

June 25: Point 12,214 (Colorado)

On my way back from a project I stopped at Hoosier Pass and hiked to the summit of Point 12,214 on the east ridge of North Star Mountain.  I saw pronghorn/antelope at 12,300 feet, the highest I have ever seen them. 

June 24: Red Hill (Colorado)

in the late evening I climbed Red Hill near Fairplay.  I saw a few Elk along the way.  Since the vegetation was wet, I got pretty wet.

I arrived at the summit at 8:02 PM and made it back to the vehicle around dark.

June 21: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Before work, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock before it got too hot!

June 20: Fletcher Mountain (Colorado)

After staying up late the night before, Kim, Kessler, Shaylee, and I headed for Blue Lakes Reservoir and Monte Cristo Creek.   The plan was to head towards Fletcher Mountain.  Kim and Shaylee had no desire to do a snow climb, so we didn't bother bringing ice axes on this trip.  This turned out to be a mistake since Kim and Shaylee decided not to do the climb anyway.    Kessler and I headed up towards Fletcher Mountain, but Kessler wasn't feeling well and turned back at 12,500 feet.  I continued on alone, but wasn't able to climb the headwall without an ice axe and had to turn back at just over 13,000 feet.  Sometimes attempting even easy mountains results in failure.  I should have brought my ice axe!

June 19:  Rainbow Lake (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, Kessler, and I hiked to Rainbow Lake near Frisco in the late evening.  The weather was nice and pleasant; much cooler than at home.

June 18: Pinyon Mesa (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked over Pinyon Mesa from the Ridge Trail.  We came in from the east.  It was pretty dusty since it has been dry, but everything is still green. We did see a few deer.

June 17: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Before work, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  It was already getting warm by 9 AM!

June 15: Lunch Loops (Colorado)

Before work, I hiked some of the Lunch Loops from the Tabeguache Trailhead.

June 14: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Before work, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.

June 13: Little Dolores River (Colorado) 

Justin, Shaylee, Kimberly, and I headed for the Little Dolores River for some canyoneering.  The narrow canyon is short, but a lot of fun, especially in the heat.  The water was nice and cool and the air was hot, so conditions were perfect. Shaylee and Kim were happy with hanging around the pools, but Justin and I made four laps through the slot canyon.  There were only two drops, but it was fun little canyon.

June 12: Crag Crest (Colorado)

Justin and I hiked the Crag Crest Loop up on Grand Mesa.  We were going to do an out and back trip since I thought the loop was still closed, but it was open.   We didn't bring that much water since the loop is longer, but we could mix some of Justin's water with snow and make enough water so we were good to go. It was a nice loop hike.  There were a few mosquitoes, but it wasn't bad.  There was much less snow than usual as well.

June 11: Thousand Lake Mountain (Utah)

Kim and I camped at Elkhorn Campground the night before.  It was suprisingly cold in the morning since a cold front had just gone through.   We parked near Deep Creek Lakes and hiked south to Snow Lake.  We then located the trail up to the top of the summit plateau and headed cross country to the summit.  The views were nice to the west, but the views to the east were very smoky due to the Pack Creek Fire in the La Sal Mountains.  We only got a glimps of Capitol Reef. After enjoying the summit, we headed cross country to the west and then followed the old trail to the north end of the summit plateau where we lost the trail.  We eventually found it and walked down to the vehicle at Deep Creek Lakes.  It was a nice loop hike and a good way to beat the summer heat.

June 10: Neffs Reservoir Trail (Utah) 

In the evening, Kim and I hiked the trail towards Neffs Reservoir from Elkhorn Campground.  We hiked to the top of the gentle ridge before heading back down.

June 9: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Early in the morning I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  It was a good idea to climb it early in the morning since it was a hot day!  

June 8: Pike Ridge (Colorado)

On my way back from work, I stopped to make another quick climb of Pike Ridge.  There was a lot of smoke in the air so there must be a wildfire somewhere. 

June 7: Pike Ridge (Colorado)

On my way back from work, I stopped to make a quick climb of Pike Ridge.

June 5-6: West Fork Oak Creek (Arizona)

June 5

Kessler, Shaylee, and I caught a ride to the upper trailhead and started down West Fork of Oak Creek.  The upper half of the canyon is slow going since you have to get over a lot of pine trees and there is much boulderhopping.  A few narrow sections added some excitment and most had pools of very cold water to swim. We brought a small raft to ferry packs across, but we had to blow it up at each pool.  The slot sections with the pools were quite fun, even if the water was cold. We found a nice place to camp just below where Flintstone Canyon joined West Fork Oak Creek.   The kids slept in a tent and I slept under the stars.  I didn't sleep that well, but that's pretty normal for me.

June 6

In the morning, we packed up camp and headed down canyon.   The canyon was really beautiful and spectacular.  We were in the water most of the time and had to wade up to waist deep, but didn't have to pull out the raft.  It was a really nice hike and one of the prettiest sections of canyon I have done.  We eventually reached the maintained trail and followed it back to the lower trailhead.  It seemed long and was getting hot when we were away from the water. It was a good trip.

June 3: Pike Ridge (Colorado)

On my way back from work, I stopped east of Douglas Pass to make a quick climb of Pike Ridge.  

June 2:  Liberty Cap (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the Liberty Cap Trail from the bottom in the late evening.  It was a nice walk.  

June 1: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone and after sunset I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  It has been hot, so after sunset the temperatures were much more pleasant.  

MAY

May 29-31:  Boulder Creek/Deer Creek (Utah)

May 29

After getting a late start, Kimberly, Kessler, and I started down a side canyon towards Boulder Creek from Haymaker Bench.   The route down to Boulder Creek wasn't too difficult and the routefinding wasn't bad. When we reached Boulder Creek we found some nice pictographs and petroglyphs and headed down canyon.  The water was a very pleasant temperature.  There were a few obstacles such as slippery boulders, waste deep water, and some annoying bushwhacking, but it wasn't bad. We didn't quite make it to the Deer Creek Confluence before making camp.

May 30

In the morning we packed up camp and hiked down Boulder Creek to the Confluence of Deer and Boulder Creek. We also noticed that Deer Creek is much colder than Boulder Creek.  We found a nice place to set up camp. Kim wanted to relax so she stayed at camp while Kessler and I explored down Boulder Creek.  We had hoped to do the swim through slot, but it was windy and the water was cold.  I swam a little down creek, but if I went farther I wouldn't have been able to swim upstream.  Kessler didn't want to swim though the cold water so we bailed and headed back up to the confluence.  We spent the rest of the day exploring Deer Creek.  In the evening, we checked out the moki step route out of the canyon.

May 31

In the morning, we packed up camp and climbed up the moki step route that we had scouted out the evening before.  We had to pass packs up the steps, but it was a fun route.  We made our way up and over the plateau stopping at an un-named peak with good views along the way.  After that it was a down and up hike back to the vehicle. It was a great trip!

May 29: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

In the morning, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock alone.

May 27: Serpents Trail (Colorado)

At and after sunset, Kim, Shaylee, Kessler, and I hiked the Serpents Trail.   It was refreshingly cool to do the hike at night.  

May 26: Peak 8922 (Colorado)

After work, I climbed Peak 8922 in the Roan Cliffs.  There is a road to the top, but I stopped short and walked it.  I also drove out to Dome BM.

May 25: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock after sunset.

May 24: Colorado River Trail (Colroado)

Kimberly, Shaylee, and I hiked the Colorado River Trail.

May 23: Demaree Canyon (Colorado)

Kimberly and I hiked Demaree Canyon.  The scenery was nice, but not as spectacular as the McInnis Canyons or the Colorado National Monument.  We saw several colorful collared lizards.  This is the first time I have seen more than one at the same time.

May 22: Exclamation Point/Green Mountain (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I headed for the North Rim of Black Canyon of the Gunnison for some hiking.  We hiked to Exclamation Point and the other overlooks along the way.   We then headed up Green Mountain and climbed it.  The views were spectacular all along the way. The temperatures were nice, but it was a very windy day.   It got cloudier as we went as well and it rained lightly part of the time on the way back.  It was still a really nice hike.

May 21: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kessler, Kimberly, and I hiked Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock late in the evening.

May 20: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone and early in the morning, I hiked Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.

May 19: Canal Trail (Colorado)

Kimberly, Shaylee, and I completed the Canal Trail late in the evening.

May 18: Canyon Pintado (Colorado) On the way back from a project I stopped at Cow Canyon and the Waving Hands Panels from some short hikes Panelsfor some short hikes.

 

May 17: Riggs Hill (Colorado)

Alone, I climbed Riggs Hill; completing the loop hike.

May 16: Mount Peale (Utah)

It was quite an ordeal to start this climb.  We got a late start driving the night before and were planning on using the La Sal Pass Trailhead.  I got the vehicle stuck in a snowdrift and we spent a few hours trying to dig it out with our ice axes before setting up the tent on the road and going to bed.   In the morning, I tried to dig out the vehicle again.  Kessler and I walked down the road looking for anyone that might have a tow chain.  We walked nearly six miles before finding anyone.  Thankfully, they helped us out and we were grateful. We didn't start until 10:00 AM which meant we missed the window of frozen snow and which meant that we would have postholing to do.  We postholed up the drainage and made our way to the gully near timberline.   Once we were in the part of the chute where the snow was compacted by previous avalanches, things sped up and we climbed to the summit, mostly on snow. There were two other people on the summit.  We took a rest and then headed back down the ridge and traversed over to the head of the snow gully.  From there it was a quick glissade (1.5 hours up; 10 minutes down) back down into the trees, where we made our way back to the trailhead. 

May 14: Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

In the evening, Shaylee, Kimberly, and I did the loop hike on Dinosaur Hill.

May 13:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

At sunset, Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  The sunset was beautiful, but I didn't bring the camera!

May 12:  Canyon Pintado/Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

On the way back from a project I did a quick hike up Lookout Pointin Canyon Pintado.  Late in the evening I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock as well.

May 11: Third Flats (Colorado)

Kimberly, Shaylee, and I hiked some of the trails around Third Flats in the evening.   They are OK, but not as scenic as the ones around Peak 5750 or the Gunny Loops.

May 10: Canal Trail (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the Canal Trail close to sunset.

May 9: Devils Thumb (Colorado)

Kessler, Kimberly, and I hiked up to Devils Thumb near Delta.  It was a nice hike.

May 8: Upper Knowles Canyon (Colorado)

Mark, Jocelyn, Ralph, Kessler, and I canyoneered Upper Knowles Canyon.  The upper slot was a lot of fun and so was the alcove 1/2 way down.  It was a good canyon, but the canyon before the exit to the rim was a pain since there was bushwhacking.

 

May 7: Canyon Pintado (Colorado)

On my way back from a project, I stopped breifly in Canyon Pintado and did the short hike to the White Birds Panel. 

 

May 6: East Fourmile Draw (Colorado)

On my way back from a project, I stopped at East Fourmile Draw to hike the trail and view the pictorgraphs and petroglyphs.  

May 5: Columbus Canyon (Colorado)

Kessler, Justin, and I headed for Columbus Canyon in Colorado National Monument.  It isn't a real slot, but it's one of the more enjoyable canyoneering routes in the monument.  The downclimbs and rappels were fun in the upper end as were the scrambles and downclimbs in the granite section.  There was a nice small stream in the canyon adding to the beauty.

 

May 4: Echo Canyon (Colorado)

Kessler, Justin, and I headed for Echo Canyon of which the lower half is in Colorado National Monument.  There was a miscommunication so Kessler had to go back to the vehicle and get more rope.  He met us at the top of the big rappel.  After getting more rope, we did the big rappel and hiked the rest of the way through the canyon.

May 1:  Prenup Trail/Colorado National Monument (Colorado)

Kessler, Shaylee, and I hiked the Prenup Trail in the morning.   In the afternoon, my mom, Shaylee, and I drove the road though Colorado National Monument, doing several short hikes along the way.

APRIL

April 30: Straight Creek (Colorado)

On my way back from Denver I stopped at Straight Creek to do a quick hike.  I didn't make it that far because the postholing was pretty bad.  I should have brought snowshoes!

April 28: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone and at sunset, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock

April 27:  Gunny Loop (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kessler, Kim, and I hiked the Gunny Loop in the evening.

April 26:  Redland Loop Trails (Colorado)

Kimberly, Shaylee, and I did a late evening hike along the Redlands Loops.  

April 25: Queens Garden/Peekaboo Loop/Navajo Trails (Utah)

In Bryce Canyon National Park, Kimberly and I started along the Rim Trail, then hiked down the spectacular Queens Garden Trail.   We then hiked the Peekaboo Loop, which was my favorite part of the hike.  It had a lot of really neat arches and rock formations.  We then hiked to the Navajo Trail and up it, making a really nice figure 8 loop hike.  It was a great day.  It was a bit windy, but most of the hike had at least some shelter from the wind.

April 24: Bristlecone Loop/Riggs Spring Loop (Utah)

In Bryce Canyon National Park, Kimberly and I hiked the Bristlcone Loop and Riggs Spring Loop hikes at the south end of the park.  I chose these trails because I have not hiked them yet.  They were nice and scenic trails, but they didn't have as many hoodoos as the trails at the north end of the park.   This is in the lushest and greenest part of the park though.  We ended up hiking 10.5 miles since we did a few side trips.  It was a great day.

April 23:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.

April 22: Redlands Mesa (Colorado)

In the evening, Kim and I hiked the Redlands Mesa Trails, this time from Easter Hill (we still hadn't used that trailhead yet as there are many available).  We did a nice loop hike over the highest point of the mesa.

April 21: Fruita Paleontological Area (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the trail through the Fruita Paleontological Area after school and work. 

April 20: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock after work.

April 19: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock after work.

April 18: Mel Slot (Utah)

Ruth, Shawn, Kessler, and I went out to check out a slot canyon SE of Wilson Arch.  We camped at La Sal Flats near the foot of the La Sal Mountains and it was incredibly cold for the elevation and time of year (5F).   Things warmed up as we drove to the trailhead.  We made our way cross country towards the canyon, intersecting a bike trail which we didn't know was there.  We then followed the bike trail over to the canyon. We all descended half way down the slot and Kessler and I climbed all the way down to the big drop.  Since we inadvertently left our ascenders in the car, we decided to retreat back up the slot since we couldn't see the bottom of the rappel.  It was challenging, but fun to climb out and was probably about 5.9 in difficulty.

April 17: Cottonwood Canyon/Fisher Creek (Utah)

Ruth, Shawn, Kessler, and I explored Cottonwood Canyon.  Although I had just explored Burro Canyon the week previous, we headed here because the two canyons share the same exit route (Thompson Canyon) and I lost my camera ona ledge the week previous.  We would look for the camera on the exit.   We hiked over the rim of the canyon and found a really rugged route in.  This was just above the narrows.  We hiked down the canyon to the narrows and found that we could downclimb the dryfall so we didn't end up needing all of the technical gear we brought.  We then walked through the narrows, passing several neat waterfalls and pools along the way.   Once we reached the scenic Thompson Canyon, we ascended it to the exit route and made our way back to the vehicle.  We found the lost camera (see last weeks entry) on a ledge and it worked fine!

 

April 16: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Late evening, Kimberly and I hiked up Eagles Nest Rock and Peak 5750.  When it got dark we found that the headlamp stopped working!  There was no moon either.  We navigated back down the trail by starlight.  It was a bit challenging, but we made it OK.

 

April 14:  Monument Canyon (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked up Monument Canyon in the late evening.  We turned around at Elephant Head Rock.

April 13:  Eagles Nest Rock/Peak 5750 (Colorado)

In the afternoon, I climbed Eagles Nest Rock and Peak 5750, making a loop hike.

April 12:  Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

After work, Kim and I hiked up Dinosaur Hill, completing the loop hike.

April 10-11:  Burro Canyon/Thompson Canyon (Utah)

April 10

Mark, Josh, Kit, Kessler, and I planned a grand trip down Burro Canyon and up Thompson Canyon near the Colorado/Utah border.  Burro Canyon was expected to be technical, but we didn't know how technical, so we intentionally brought a lot of technical gear.  We carried 500 feet of rope, 250 feet of webbing, and a lot of other technical gear. After driving a 4wd road, we found the old and long abandoned cattle trail into Thompson Canyon.  The biggest challenge was going to be crossing Thompson Canyon and getting to Burro Canyon. We viewed the first side canyon coming in from the east, but it appeared impassible.  We hiked up Thompson Canyon further and to the next side canyon coming in from the east.  We found a very rugged route to the rim of the canyon, but it was not easy!  It was difficult and loose. After reaching the rim, we headed for the head of Burro Canyon, but there were many other drainages, ledges, and ridges to cross.  It was quite strenuous.    Eventually we found ourselves at the rim of Burro Canyon and we found a rough route in.  We were in Burro Canyon! We then made our way down canyon to a beautiful pothole section of the canyon and were excited that the canyon was going to get really exciting.  It was a beautiful section and we did a downclimb to the first pothole and found a rock horn to rappel off and into the second pothole.   It wasn't a swimmer, but was a cold wade.  The rappel was only ten feet high, but was very akward.  After the rappel, we made our way down canyon.  The middle section of Burro Canyon was fairly average in scenery, but became very pretty again in the lower end.  From a technical standpoint though, it was a bit disappointing. All drops were bypassable. We made it past several scenic pools and waterfalls and then a long section of bouldering before reaching Fisher Creek.  We set up camp here.  Kessler's thermarest got popped on a sharp stick! 

 

April 11

In the morning, we all packed up camp and made our way up Thompson Canyon.  It was beautiful.  We had a few challenging waterfalls to find routes around, but it wasn't bad.  I ended up losing the camera on a ledge.  We soon found ourselves at the exit and walked back to the vehicles.  It was a good trip, but we carried way too much technical gear!

April 9:  Other Mothers Buttress (Colorado)

Kessler and I decided to check out the Mothers Buttress area of Unaweep. We poked around and found the Newb Nation climb.  Despite its name and rating it was rather committing for the grade.

April 8:  Peak 6780/Horse Mesa (Colorado)

I headed for Cactus Park and first climbed Peak 6780 from the north.  The views were nice.  I then headed back and drove the Tabeguache Trail to the base of Horse Mountain.  The road was pretty rough, but just passable in my old Pathfinder.  I climbed Horse Mesa before heading back down to the Tabeguache Trail.

April 7:  Flume Canyon (Colorado)

After work, Kimberly and I hiked up Flume Canyon near Fruita.  We hiked through the canyon and through the narrows before taking the trail along the west rim, making a loop. It was a good hike.

April 6: Riggs Hill (Colorado)

Kim and I climbed Riggs Hill on a nice evening, making the loop hike.

    

April 5:  Peak 5750 (Colorado)

Kim and I started up Peak 5750 at sunset.  When it got really dark near the summit we found out the headlamp didn't work.  We went to the top anyway and had a challenging hike down on a moonless night.

April 4:  Dunham Slot/Bull Valley Gorge/Mossy Cave (Utah)

First, Kessler, Erin, Lisa, Brian, Melissa, and I all canyoneered the Dunham Slot.  It was a nice little canyon.   Kessler, Melissa, Brian, and I then headed for Bull Valley Gorge.  We hiked to the head of the gorge and climbed in.  There was a lot more mud and snow than expected.  It was hot outside of the slot, but cold inside!  We scambled down to below the old pickup truck that is wedged in the slot (a fatal accident in 1954) and headed down canyon until we were through all of the narrow sections.  We then headed back up canyon to the exit climb and then headed up that and along the rim back to the vehicles. After Bull Valley Gorge, Kessler and I hiked Mossy Cave in Bryce Canyon before heading for home. 

April 3:  Herm Pollock Slot/Sheep Creek (Utah)

Kessler, Erin, Lisa, Brian, Melissa, and I all canyoneered the Herm Pollock Slot.  We went down a steep chute to Sheep Creek and then hiked down to the Herm Pollock Slot.  We made our way to the rim and downclimbed into the canyon.  The canyon was nice and with soft sand, but it was short.   There were two rappels.   We took our time and enjoyed the lower part of the canyon before reversing our route back up Sheep Creek.

April 2:  Eagle Canyon Wilderness HP (Utah)

Kessler and I hiked the Eagle Canyon Wilderness Highpoint from the rest area on I-70 in the evening and on our way to Cannonville.

April 1:  Gibbler Mountain (Colorado)

Today, I climbed Gibbler Mountain, an isolated mountain southwest of Whitewater.  I took a longer route in from the east.  It was a longer hike than expected, but the views were nice. I took a class 4 route up, but a class 2 route down.  It was a nice hike and scramble.

MARCH

March 31:  Mount Garfield (Colorado)

Alone, I climbed Mount Garfield.  It was a chilly day for late March, but chilly days are best on Mount Garfield since the route is exposed to the sun and relentless.  The views were great!

March 30:  Devils Canyon Overlook (Colorado)

After work, Kim and I hiked to the Devils Canyon Overlook, making a loop of D1 and D2 Trails.  It was a beautiful hike.

March 29:  Hunter Canyon (Colorado)

I hiked Hunter Canyon in the Book Cliffs.  I was last there almost 20 years ago.  It was a disappointing hike.  Off-Roaders trashed the road so people with normal vehicles and stock 4wds have to walk the road now since drivign up the banks has ruined it.  The canyon itself was also trashed by the off roaders.  Sad.  I don't think I'll go back.

March 27-28:  Short Canyon/Rochester Panel/Sids Mountain (Utah)

March 27

First, Kessler and I headed for Short Canyon.  We stopped at the concretions (huge and almost completely round boulders) adn found and did a rock climb there.  We called it Boulder Chimney.  We then hiked up Short Canyon and visited the many pictograph and petroglyph panels.  Some of them were really good and well preserved. Next we hiked to the Rochester Panel, which is one of the best petroglyph panels in Utah. Lastly we backpacked down to North Salt Wash and camped just inside Saddlehorse Canyon.  We explored around a bit before heading to bed, finding a good petroglyph panel high on the wall.

 

Short Canyon Petroglyphs and Pictographs

March 28

In the morning, we filtered water and then located the old horse trail up Sids Mountain.  It was pretty easy to follow and we found the old homestead on top of the plateau.  After visiting the interesting homestead, we climbed to the high point of Sids Mountain.  The views were spectacular.  We then hiked back down, packed up camp, and made it to the car by sunset.

March 26:  Serpents Trail (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the Serpents Trail on a nice day.  It was Spring Break for Kim and Shaylee.

March 25:  Redlands-Colorado River Trail (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked the Colorado River Trail around Redlands.  There were lots of birds around.

March 24:  County Line Overlook (Colorado)

Today I snowshoed several of the County Line tails up on Grand Mesa.  It was snowing lightly the entire time, but it was a nice trip.  I did get some views from the overlook.

March 23: RB-18 Benchmark/Tunnel Point (Colorado)

Kim and I climbed RB-18 Benchmark and Tunnel Point from the east.  We walked up the 4wd roads to both summits, both of which have very nice views. 

March 22:  Ribbon Trail (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the Ribbon Trail top to bottom. We lost it at one place near the top, but it was a nice hike.

March 21:  Blarney Canyon (Utah)

Shaylee, Kimberly, Kessler, and I canyoneered Blarney Canyon.  It was the first time in almost ten years that we had done the canyon.  It was a great canyon with a great slot.

March 20:  Middle Fork Maidenwater Canyon (Utah)

Shaylee, Kimberly, Kessler, and I canyoneered Middle Fork Maidenwater Canyon. The canyon isn't hard, but it was a little harder than expected and we did some rappels rather than downclimbing the whole thing.  It was a nice little canyon.

March 19:  Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

Kimberly and I hiked the loop on Dinosaur Hill on a nice afternoon.

March 18:  Wedding Canyon/Monument Canyon (Colorado)

Alone, I hiked a loop up Wedding Canyon and down Monument Canyon.  It was a beautiful hike.

March 17: Lunch Loops/White Cap (Colorado)

Alone, I hiked a loop combining the Clunker, Holy Cross, and Holey Bucket Trails.

March 16: Bullet Hole (Colorado)

Kessler and I climbed Scout, Bones, and Walk on the Wild Side on the Sport Boulder and Bullet Hole Cliff Band.

March 15: Echo Canyon (Colorado)  

Alone, I hiked up Echo Canyon to the falls.  The falls was flowing due to the recent storm.

March 14: Redlands Loop (Colorado)

Kimberly and I hiked the Redlands Loop at Colorado State Park.  We saw a lot of birds.

March 13: Peak 5750 (Colorado)

Kimberly and I climbed Peak 5750 after the snowstorm.  It was a good choice since the trail doesn't get too muddy.

March 12:  Dry Canyon Wash (Colorado)

Alone I hiked and explored Dry Canyon Wash in the Book Cliffs.  It wasn't quite as scenic as some of the other canyons in the region, but it was interesting enough and there were fresh cougar tracks.  There was a little mud, but it wasn't that bad.

March 11:  Redlands Mesa (Colorado)

Kimberly and I hiked Redlands Mesa and several trails there, this time from the Canyon Rim Trailhead.

March 10:  Mack Benchmark (Colorado)

Alone, I climbed the Mack Benchmark on a nice day.

March 8:  Moore Fun Ridge/Bullet Hole (Colorado)  

Alone I climbed the Moore Fun Ridge, completing a nice loop.  In the afternoon I met Beth at Bullet Hole and we climbed Prime Number and Trip Won.  

March 6-7:  Silver Falls Creek (Utah)

March 6

Kim and I hiked down Silver Falls Creek, a side canyon of the Escalante River.  We dropped our packs not long before the Hobbs inscription at a campsite in an alcove.  There was good running water.  We then hiked down canyon and looked for various signatures on the canyon walls.  The 2/22/1883 Hobbs Inscription is the most famous one, but we found several others, including one from 1882.  In 18883, Hobbs got stuck in a snowstorm here and thought he was going to die so left the inscription. We then hiked the rest of the way to the Escalante River and hiked down the river to opposite Harris Wash before heading back to camp.

March 7

In the morning we packed up camp and hiked back to the trailhead.   It was a nice trip.  The drive along the Burr Trail and Notom Roads was really scenic as well.

March 4:  Devils Kitchen (Colorado)

Kimberly, Shaylee, and I hiked up to Devils Kitchen after school and work.

March 3:  Dinosaur Hill/Window Rock/Rim Trail (Colorado)

After work, Kim and I hiked up Dinosaur Hill.  We then headed to Window Rock and then hiked the Rim Trail, finishing at sunset. 

March 2:  Gunny Loop (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the Gunny Loop from Third Flats on a nice evening.

March 1:  Third Flats (Colorado)

After work, Kim and I hiked some of the trails around Third Flats.

FEBRUARY

February 27-28:  Mount Columbia (Colorado)

February 27

With a late start, Kessler and I hiked up the Southeast Ridge of Mt. Columbia to 10,256 feet before setting up camp.

February 28

It was a cold -15F in the morning, but Kessler and I set off up the Mount Columbia (there were other people on the mountain as well).  There is nothing hard about the Southeast Ridge of Mt. Columbia, but it is very long and relentless (especially in winter) with several up and downs. Eventually we were able to ditch the snowshoes and make the long rest of the climb with just boots.  Because of a stove malfunction, we ended up low on water, but someone on the way down loaned us some. We made it to the summit and took a break before the long jouney down.  It was dark before we packed up camp and made it back to the vehicle.

  

February 26:  Haystack 3 Benchmark (Colorado)

Alone I climbed Haystack 3 Benchmark.  There was more snow than I expected.

February 24:  Serpents Trail (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the serpents trail in the late afternoon. 

February 23:  Riggs Hill (Colorado)

Alone and under a bright moon, I made a night climb of Riggs Hill.

February 22:  Peak 5059 (Utah)

Alone, I climbed Peak 5059 above Westwater Canyon.  The views were great.  I also poked around the head of the side canyon of Little Hole. 

 

February 21:  Davis Gulch (Utah)

Kessler and I hiked/canyoneered Davis Gulch.  Although we brought technical gear, we did not use it and were able to downclimb everything.  There were several pools which were knee to thigh deep and the water was cold, but since we were moving we didn't get too cold.   It was a nice trip on a beautiful day. 

 

February 20:  Blue Hills Canyon/Grand Wash (Utah)

Kessler and I explored a canyon west of Hanksville and in the Blue Hills.  It was fairly interesting, but not a classic.  Later we hiked Grand Wash from the bottom, which is a beautiful canyon.

February 19:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone, I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.

February 18:  Peak 5140 (Utah)

Kessler and I hiked to the spectacular viewpoint of Peak 5140 above Westwater Canyon. It was a great trip.

February 17:  Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the loop on Dinosaur Hill on a nice late afternoon.

February 16: Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone and in the late afternoon/evening I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  With the fresh snow Eagles Nest Rock was pretty trecherous.

Febraury 15:  Stagecoach Trail/Point 5900 (Colorado)

Kim, Kessler, Shaylee, and I hiked up the Stagecoach Trail and climbed Point 5900.  It was overcast and gloomy, but a nice hike and no one else was around.

February 14:  Corn Lake Trail (Colorado)

Since it was dark by the time we hiked much of the Corn Lake Trail, Kim wanted to do it in the daylight for Valentines Day.  We hiked the entire route and loop.  It was chilly and windy, and the trail was icy in places, but it was a good walk.  We saw lots of birds, geese, ducks, a beaver, and racoon tracks.

February 13:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock between rain spells.  The trail wasn't muddy and it was a nice hike.

February 12:  Corn Lake Trail (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the Corn Lake Trail at sunset.  We saw a lot a wildlife including rabbits, geese, ducks, a  great blue heron, and beavers.

February 10:  No Thouroughare Canyon (Colorado)

In the evening Shaylee, Kessler, Kimberly, and I hiked No Thouroughare Canyon from the bottom and to the first pool, which was dry.  It was a nice hike.

February 9:  Colorado River Trail (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kessler, Kimberly, and I hiked a 3 mile section of the Colorado Trail in the evening.  We saw some bald eagles and several other birds.

February 8:  Cochise Stronghold (Arizona)

Josh, Kessler, and I climbed the Four Course Meal Route at Chochise Stronghold (West).  It was a great four-pitch route.  We then headed for Sweet Rock to do some climbing.  My son started to lead Good and Plenty, but near the top, he fell and took a whipper near the second to the last bolt.  He got scraped and cut up, but with no serious injury.  Josh then led the pitch.  I then went to climb the pitch, but when I saw the blood on the wall from my son's fall, I decided we should call it a day.

February 7:  Wasson Peak (Arizona)

Kessler and I climbed Wasson Peak from the Hugh Norris Trail, which is the longest, but most scenic route up the mountain.  It was a pretty warm day and we sweated a lot.  There were a lot of people on the trails in the morning, but by afternoon the mountain was deserted because people wanted to go see the super bowl.  We saw one roadrunner on the way to the summit.

February 6:  Windy Point/La Milagrosa Canyon/Picacho Peak (Arizona)

Kessler and I first headed for Windy Point on Mount Lemmon to do some climbing. The temperature was pleasant, even in the morning and we climbed several routes.

We then headed for La Milagrosa Canyon for some canyoneering. We hiked (it was hot, even in February) to the head of the canyon and dropped in.   There were three rappels including one into a long and deep swimming hole. We could have avoided it, but since it was February, we decided to take the more interesting and direct route through the swimming section.  It was chilly, but we quickly warmed up. Once we were at the bottom of the last rappel we found that we left the cell phone on a rock, so we found a climbing route to the rim of the canyon where Kessler rapped in to retrieve the cell phone.

It was afternoon, but we still wanted to climb Picacho Peak, so we hurried and drove to the state park.  We had to talk them into letting us in since sunset wasn't that far away, but we hurried and did the climb and made it back by sunset. 

February 5:  Cactus Forest Trail/Javelina Rocks (Arizona)

We were originally going to head for La Milagrosa Canyon, but our plane got in late so we headed for the east side of Saguaro National Park instead.  We hiked part of the Cactus Forest Trail before heading for Javelina Rocks and climbing those.  One was a rather spicy climb (without a rope at least). 

 

February 2:  Serpents Trail (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, Kessler, and I hiked the Serpents Trail in the afternoon and evening.  Conditions were great and it was a nice hike.

February 1:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

At sunset I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock alone.  The trail was mostly dry.

JANUARY

January 31:  Little Hole (Utah)

Kim, Kessler, Shaylee, and I had a great hike at Little Hole in Utah.  We hiked down to the river and spent some time there before heading back up.  The weather was gorgeous.  

January 30:  Old Spanish Trail/Gunnison Bluffs (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the Old Spanish Trail/Gunnison Bluffs Loop.  It was a nice hike and there wasn't too much mud.  The views were good and we saw several ducks as well.

January 28:  Canal Trail (Colorado)

At night, Kim and I hiked the Canal Trail. 

January 27:  Lunch Loops (Colorado)

After work, I hiked the Lunch Loops from the Tabeguache Trailhead.  It was a nice hike, but there was some mud to avoid.  

January 26:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Alone and in the late afternoon/evening I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.  With the fresh snow Eagles Nest Rock was pretty trecherous and I probably shouldn't have done it.  

January 24:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I climbed Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock during a snowstorm.  It was still a nice hike.

January 23:  Fisher Towers/Overlook (Utah)

Kim, Kessler, Shaylee, and I hiked the spectacular Fisher Towers Trail to the overlook.  It rained and snowed before and after our hike, but not during.  There were a few icy and muddy places, but it was a great hike.

January 22:  Devils Canyon (Colorado)

In the afternoon, Kim and I hiked up to an overlook of Devils Canyon (D1 Trail).  The views were nice, though it rained on the way back.  There was some mud and snow, but it wasn't that bad.

January 21:  Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked the loop on Dinosaur Hill on a nice afternoon.  It was a bit muddy and icy in one place.

January 20:  Redlands Mesa (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked up to Redlands Mesa, seeing Mr. Bones (fake skeleton) up there. 

January 19:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

At sunset, Kimberly and I climbed Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock on a beautiful evening.

January 18:  River Trail/Lower Paria River/Cathedral Wash (Arizona)

In the morning, Justin, Kessler, and I hiked the River Trail near Lees Ferry, seeing all the historic sites and scenery along the way.  It was a nice hike. We then headed for the Lower Paria River and hiked around Lonely Dell Ranch and upriver before heading back. We then hiked Cathedral Wash to the Colorado Rive and back.  Cathedral Wash was a great little canyon and was a really fun route.  The route was interesting and very scenic.

January 17:  Soap Creek (Arizona)

Erin, Justin, Kessler, and I headed down the North Fork Soap Creek for some canyoneering.  The slot was short, but fantastic.  The canyon was flowing at 1-2 CFS, which was unexpected.  Everyone but Kessler got wet on the 2nd to the last rappel. The canyon was more interesting than expected, but took a bit longer than we thought it would.  Once we reached the South Fork, we decided not to go down it to the river.  Instead we hiked up canyon to the rim.  It was more challenging than expected and the route has changed in recent years.  There is now a technical pitch in the canyon.  There were a lot of bouolder obstacles as well.  We still had enough daylight to make it out by dark.

January 16:  Badger Canyon (Arizona)

Erin, Justin, Kessler, and I headed down Badger Canyon for some canyoneering.  Badger was a great little canyon and quite scenic.  One one of the downlclimbs there was a scorpion, but we were able to avoid putting our hands on it.  After reaching the river we took a break before heading down river.  There was quite a bit of boulderhopping, but we saw some fossil tracks and bighorn sheep along the way.  We were higher than the river so when we got to the exit, we took a more direct route to the crux pitch than the standard route.  The crux was indeed challenging and exposed, but it was what we expected.  It had one 5.5 pitch.  After completing the crux, it was a nice walk back to the trailhead.

January 13:  Riggs Hill (Colorado)

In the dark I climb Riggs Hill, completing the longest loop.  They way down was suprisingly challenging to find in the dark, even with a headlamp. 

January 12:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

At sunset I set off alone and climb Peak 5750 and Eagles Nest Rock.

January 11:  Peak 5750 (Colorado)

Shaylee and I hiked up Peak 5750, but we turned around short of the summit because Shaylee wasn't feeling well.

January 10:  McDonald Canyon (Colorado)

Kim, Shaylee, and I hiked McDonald Canyon near Rabbit Valley, seeing all the pictographs along the way.   It was nice and warm in the sun.

January 9: Monument Canyon (Colorado)

Kim and I hiked Monument Canyon, top to bottom.   Along the way we had car trouble so had to exchange cars.  Because of this we didn't start until around 4 PM so it was dark for 1/2 of the hike.  

January 7:  Peak 5750/Eagles Nest Rock (Colorado)

Kim and I climbed Eagles Nest Rock and Peak 5750 in the late afternoon.  It was a nice hike.

January 5:  Devils Canyon (Colorado)

In the evening, Kim and I did a hike along the Devils Canyon Trail. It was a nice hike, but we missed the sunset.

January 4:  Dinosaur Hill (Colorado)

Shaylee, Kimberly, and I hiked the loop on Dinosaur Hill in the evening.  The sunset was spectacular!

January 2-3:  Bison Peak/Bison View (Colorado)

January 2

Kessler and I started late morning at the Ute Creek Trailhead and headed up towards Bison Saddle. Bison Peak had been on our list for a long time.  We made pretty good time, having a chat with Mark, a fellow climber along the way.  We set up camp and set off for Bison Peak.  It was very cold and windy once we were above timberline.   We made our way up the right side of the ridge towards Bison Peak, making the summit not long before sunset.  It was a nice summit with cool rock formations.  We spent some time on top (it was cold!) before heading back down and reaching camp after dark.   After eating dinner and walking around we headed for bed.

January 3

It was a very windy night.  I don't know how cold it got as the thermometer died, but it was 7F/-14C not long after we went to bed so it probably got a bit colder than that. In the morning we took a quick trip up towards Bison View (peak) for the view before packing up camp and heading back down the mountain.

January 1:  Hooiser Ridge (Colorado)

Kessler and I met four other 14ers.com members at Hoosier Pass and we all headed for Hooiser Ridge.  We climbed all of the summits on the ridge.  The last one was the highest.  It was a bit breezy at times, but a beautiful New Years Day.  Two of the group climbed Red Peak as well.

ACCUMULATED TOTALS AND GOALS

Accumulated Totals for 2021: 

Days that I went hiking or climbing: 318

Summits Climbed: 167

Summits Attempted: 173

Rock Towers/Technical Buttes Climbed: 12

Rock Towers/Technical Buttes Attempted:  12

Technical Rock or Ice Routes Climbed:  36

Technical Rock or Ice Routes Attempted: 41

Technical Canyons Completed: 25

Technical Canyons Attempted: 25

Overseas Summits: 3

Goals for 2021:

Days to go hiking or climbing on: 300

Summits: 150

Rock Towers: 10

Technical Rock or Ice Routes: 30

Technical Canyons: 25

ELEVATIONS

Highest Elevation Reached

16,289 feet (4965 meters) on Nevado Santa Isabel (Colombia); December 22.

Highest Elevation Reached in USA 

14,079 feet (4291 meters) on Mt. Columbia (Colorado); February 28.

Highest Sleeping Altitude

13,714 feet (4180 meters) at El Cisne (Colombia); December 20-23.

Highest Sleeping Altitude in USA

11,540 feet (3517 meters) at Kroenke Lake (Colorado); August 14-15.

Highest Elevation Climbed To By Month

Month Feet (USA) Meters (USA)   Feet (World) Meters (World)
JAN 13,352 4070   13,352 4070
FEB 14,079 4291   14,079 4291
MAR 10,820 3298   10,820 3298
APR 11,200 3414   11,200 3414
MAY 12,721 3878   12,721 3878
JUN 13,748 4190   13,748 4190
JUL 13,192 4022   13,192 4022
AUG 13,865 4226   13,865 4226
SEP 13,366 4074   13,366 4074
OCT 11,189 3410   11,189 3410
NOV 11,189 3410   11,189 3410
DEC 13,461 4103   16,289 4965

 

Highest Outdoors Sleeping Altitude by Month

Month Feet (USA) Meters (USA)   Feet (World) Meters (World)
JAN 11,200 3414   11,200 3414
FEB 10,256 3126   10,256 3126
MAR 5320 1622   5320 1622
APR 6500 1981   6500 1981
MAY 10,000 3048   10,000 3048
JUN 9820 2993   9820 2993
JUL          
AUG 11,540 3517   11,540 3517
SEP 11,030 3692   11,030 3692
OCT 6160 1878   6160 1878
NOV 4900 1494   4900 1494
DEC 6100 1859   13,714 4180

PERSONAL RECORDS SET

June 5-6 

Highest sleeping altitude in June for Arizona; 5750 feet (1753 meters) at West Fork Oak Creek.

June 5

It wasn't much of a record, but the hike at West Fork Oak Creek at 6500 feet (1981 meters) might have been the highest I have hiked in June in Arizona.

May 16

Highest May ascent in Utah; 12,721 feet (3878 meters) on Mount Peale. The previous May record for Utah was 11,253 feet (3430 meters) on Lone Peak on May 31 1997.

May 15-16

Highest May sleeping altitude in Utah; 10,000 feet (3048 meters) near Medicine Lake. Previous May sleeping altitude record for Utah was 8800 feet (2682 meters) at Dog Lake in 1986.

February 6

It wasn't much of a record, but the climbs at Windy Point at 6620 feet (2018 meters) might have been the highest I have hiked or climbed in Arizona in February.  The previous February record for Arizona was 5840 feet (1780 meters) at Snake Gulch on February 15 2020.

January 17

It wasn't much of a record, but the hike at Soap Creek at 4080 feet (1244 meters) might have been the highest I have hiked in January in Arizona.



Comments

No comments posted yet.