A climb in RMNP - All Two Obvious, Spearhead

A climb in RMNP - All Two Obvious, Spearhead

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 31, 1969
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer

A journey into Glacier Gorge

This is a trip we took into Glacier Gorge. The Gorge is one of the most spectacular places in all of RMNP and is rimmed by magnificant granite walls. We are planning on climbing the Spearhead. Our intended route is "All Two Obvious", Grade IV, 5.12a.

Here is Glacier Gorge as seen from the Keyhole route on Longs Peak.
Glacier Gorge from the Keyhole


We leave home at 3:00am and are hiking by 4:30am. The hike is awesome and the scenery helps pass the miles. We get to Black Lake at 6:00, the gorge itself is only 20-30 minutes further!

Black Lake

Approach Hike around Black Lake


Just above Black Lake McHenry's peak and Arrowhead come into view.
McHenry s and Arrowhead

Here is the Spearhead.
The Spearhead

Alpine Granite

The weather seems to be perfect and the temps are good, so we are soon racked up and start up the route. The first pitch is easy and gets us to a nice ledge called "Middle Earth". We bask in the morning sun and Joan leads the second pitch of flakes and a tricky finger crack at 9+. I take the lead from here and we do pitches 3,4 and 5. The 5th pitch is spectacular and takes a perfect finger crack through a small roof. Here is Joan on the 4th and 5th pitches.
On pitch four, 5.10c

Perfect alpine granite!


Pitch six is the crux and it looks thin! The crux moves are protected by 3 bolts and consist very thin and inobvious face moves. I take a few falls figuring out the crux sequence, pretty exiting with big air below. There is no possibility of aiding through this section as the bolts are pretty far apart and the crux comes a move or two past the second bolt. The top of the pitch eases to 5.10 and is protected with gear and a few more bolts. All in all, one of the best Alpine face pitches ever!! Here are some photos at the top of the crux pitch.
Coming up the crux pitch

Crux pitch of  All Two Obvious , 5.12a


Pitch seven is also 5.11 face with several very tricky high steps onto perfect golden knobs. This takes us to the summit ramp and a quick scramble gets us to the summit block. The summit is very exposed and an awesome place to hang out.

Hiking Home

I always hate to leave the Gorge. It is such an awesome place to climb and hang out. I linger and take a few more photos before we make the long hike home.
Pagoda Peak

Waterfall in Glacier Gorge

Tree at Mills Lake Outlet


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1

timwebb - Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

wow

super pictures, enjoyed...

Viewing: 1-1 of 1