Viewing: 1-6 of 6
T. White

T. White - Feb 13, 2021 6:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Fantastic album.

Not only for its poignance in the face of the still-ongoing war, but the breadth of your subjects, experiences, and reflection.

BTW - I bought the new Bradt guide to Socotra and found it lacking. Virtually no hiking or mountaineering information. It was basically a long blog post about the authors' guided tour, albeit with some local insight (mostly re: the built-up areas, which you've indicated are the least attractive places for tourists).

RobSC

RobSC - Feb 13, 2021 6:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic album.

Thanks so much for your kind words! Socotra (and Sana'a) are among the world's most amazing places. The mountains in the center of the island are spectacular. I think that you need to be accompanied by locals or at least have their permission to be on the land. I know that people have climbed some of the spectacular towers there (reported a while back in the American Alpine Journal). I think they found evidence of the locals having been there previously even on top of a 5.10 or something tower. When I was on some of the limestone, coastal mountains I was by myself and wandered alone among an amazing quantity of arches and bizarre vegetation! Last I heard there were flights there from Cairo...

T. White

T. White - Feb 13, 2021 8:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Fantastic album.

Will have to check out that edition of the AAJ! Yes, Cairo flights were ongoing as recently as last year. Military/spy base development on Socotra by foreign powers is also in the works, including in the sensitive Momi plateau.

RobSC

RobSC - Feb 13, 2021 10:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic album.

I'll have to look into that more, The quick search that I did said it was with Israel and the UAE. Maybe they're getting money from Israel or something? Most tourists who were on Socotra when I was there were from the UAE so there could be a financial incentive there. Thanks for letting me know about that. I'll update the Socotra page.

T. White

T. White - Feb 25, 2021 9:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Fantastic album.

Those AAJ articles were very interesting! I'm sure the Israel/UAE base development is part of the recognition deal between the two countries, not least because news broke about both developments almost simultaneously.

RobSC

RobSC - Feb 27, 2021 5:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic album.

I'd assume that you are correct about Israel. I'll try to get the Socotra page updated, maybe during spring break... I hope that you're able to make it there soon. It is certainly a memorable place!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'A Day in Sana'a' main page