Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lisae

lisae - Jun 7, 2010 10:15 pm - Voted 10/10

One

reason I enjoy repeating certain trails is to see how things look in different seasons, or from year to year, with differing amounts of rainfall. There is one datura plant in Joshua Tree that I have seen every year for about 7 or 8 years; some years it is in abundant bloom, other years struggling a bit. It is endlessly fascinating to me to see changes, in addition to new territory.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jun 8, 2010 5:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: One

It is amazing how different certain trails look at different times of the year. I remember the first time I hiked up to the Chimneys in April (always was summer before that one) and I was amazed to be able to see the summit from the trail. On all the previous trips the summer leaves blocked the view. For the Smokies, I love April, May and October. So far I've been there in seven different months. I think I need to make a winter trip.

Glad to hear there are others that like going back to the same trails. And yes I need to get to so many California trails. So many trails, so little time.

Thanks for visiting.
Mark

boyblue

boyblue - Mar 21, 2012 7:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Good Report...

...and excellent pictures. There are at least a few different trails that I've hiked multiple times as well. I love going on them in different seasons and even under various weather conditions. Here's another twist: when I'm pretty comfortable with a particular trail, I'll even hike it at night if possible. There was this 14 mile loop in a local State Park that was absolutely sublime when hiked in the moonlight. Just needed to try not to think about cougars and other nocturnal hunters.
-Gordon

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Mar 22, 2012 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Report...

When the scenery is awesome I don't mind repeating trails. I am looking forward to my 20th trip up the Chimneys...just not sure when that will be.

Glad to you enjoyed it, and thanks for visiting. Mark

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'A Few Good Reasons to Keep Going Back' main page