Asian Fever Buttress, 5.4-5.7

Asian Fever Buttress, 5.4-5.7

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.07059°N / 116.17045°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

Asian Fever, 5.7**
Dow leading Asian Fever, 5.7**
Yellow Peril, 5.5**
Dow soloing Yellow Peril, 5.5**

Joshua Tree is marred at times with the gym climbing hoard who frequent Hidden Valley and its confines. But almost anywhere in the park, if you are willing to hike for a few miles, you can have a specific area completely to yourself and if the views align just right, it can even have an alpine flare as you stare out to Mount San Jacinto’s snow covered summit.

 All that said, East and West Siberia can actually be quite crowded on weekends despite the several mile hike due to the free backcountry camping nearby and the “modern” graded and bolted routes on East Siberia’s sunny face. However, few humans are found to the left (west) of East and West Siberia, on a short varnished face named Al’s Crag. But this southeast facing wall has only three established trad routes as of 2018. Another option to combine with Al’s Crag for a decent day out is Asian Fever Buttress which is further west yet. Although it only has four established routes as of 2018, it is a short hike from the Siberia faces and/or Al’s Crag. These four routes are also a good destination for budding soloists as all four feel relatively secure for solo climbing on decent rock. Two star routes are fairly select in Miramontes guides and two of the routes receive that praise: Yellow Peril, 5.5** and Asian Fever, 5.7**.  They are side by side at the left end of the wall. Yellow is a crack climb and Fever is a bolted line. Asian Sponge Bath, 5.6*, also shares the same belay area and is an uneventful left facing corner climb. There is a fixed rap above a ledge on the far left end of the wall that serves any route that goes to the top of the formation with a single rope rappel.  Me Love You Long Time, 5.4, is a nondescript scramble up the right side of the wall.

Hike in via the Boy Scout Trail as you would for the Siberia faces. Al’s Crag is to the left of West Siberia’s dark face, on the opposite side of a wide boulder strewn gully. It is a short brown varnished wall that is mostly south facing. Asian Fever Buttress is further left at the west end of all of these formations. It is a relatively obvious south facing buttress (photo).

Routes Listed Left to Right as You Face the Wall

  • Yellow Peril- 80’-5.5**/ Follow the obvious hand crack as it curves to the base of a wide finish. Easy off width and/or chimney to finish. Standard rack. There is a fixed single rope rappel at the far climbers left end of the wall, above a small ledge facing west. Dow
  • Asian Fever- 90’-5.7**/ Soft for 5.7 and nothing memorable for the two stars it is given in the guide. Fun start up steep scoops and then slab with features. Seven clips to the top. Medium gear anchor right below the top of the wall for top roping. There is a fixed single rope rappel at the far climbers left of the wall, above a small ledge facing west. Dow
  • Asian Sponge Bob- 100’-5.6*/ Secure solo at the grade following the crack/corner system just right of Asian Fever. Same rap. Dow
  • Me Love You Long Time- 120’-5.4/ Typical solo at the grade. Located by itself to the right of the formation. Climb a crack system that meanders up the right wall finishing in a wide crack. Same rap. Dow


  • Related 

    Friends

    Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.