Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.93981°N / 121.7413°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2080 ft / 634 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Baby Blue is another prominent peak north of Sultan, Washington. It is not a very desirable or attractive looking peak and the peak does not offer the incredible challenge that many other mountains just east of this summit do. That all being said Baby Blue is a perfect rehabilitation mountain for those that are either just getting back into hiking or for those who are starting hiking again. 


CascadeCohen on the bootpath section
CascadeCohen on the boot-path section.
The summit  view
The "view" from the true summit area.


The true summit of Baby Blue is completely forest and there is a chance that the original true summit was altered due to very recent logging in the area. There was once a summit log on Baby Blue but after an extensive search all over the summit area it appears to be gone. It should be noted though that active logging is going on on this summit and that it is on Washington State DNR land. Already the mountain is cleared of trees from the western side and on the eastern side.


The Olympics from the western view
The Olympics in the background
Looking south to Squak Mountain
Looking at the Issaquah Alps


If you can look over the clear-cuts the view from these open areas are actually excellent. The western clear-cut has an excellent view of the Olympics, downtown Seattle, Everett and the Puget Sound. The eastern clear-cut contains views of Sultan River Valley, Mount Baring, Persis and Index. Both views can be seen right off of the logging roads. 

Looking east from the eastern view
Looking east from the eastern view

Getting There

From US 2 just east of downtown Sultan take the Sultan Basin Road 6.5 miles to a road gate on your left hand side. Do not block the road gate in case there is logging in the region. There are no obvious signs that this is the trailhead so it is really key that you closely measure the distance that you are on Sultan Basin Road. There are a number of other gates in the region and this road gate does not have any special features. There was supposed to be a Discovery Pass sign but from what we saw someone torn it down and through the sign. 

Route

Map of the RouteMap of the western route.
Baby Blue east approachMap of the eastern route. (Special thanks to kevinsa)


YDS CLASS: 1
7 MILES
1300 FEET OF GAIN

The route is pretty basic and is mostly following a gated road all the way from the Sultan Basin Road to near the foot of Blue Mountain. From there you want to make a right on a highly blocked road to you right. Follow the road which has been scoured and contains a number of tank traps all the way up to the very end. At is the end is a faint boot-path which is fairly steep in some places but is easy to spot through the hike up. You will then run into another logging road. Take this logging road all of the way up until near the top where on your left side (the north) is the summit area. There used to be a summit register up here but we were not able to find it.

There is also an eastern route that is also a roadwalk to the summit as well (Special Thanks to kevinsa).  

Josh Lewis on the true summit
Josh Lewis on the true summit. He is was still rehabbing from his multiple serious injuries and this was a nice easy mountain for him to go up.

Red Tape

Because this is state DNR land a Discovery Pass is required. The sign was knocked down when I went to the trailhead but don't count on that.  There is also active logging on this mountain which means that access to this summit can be limited at any time. We saw many signs on the trees talking about timber sales.  

When to Climb

Down near the trailhead shot of Persis
Down near the trailhead shot of Persis

This is a full season mountain but would probably be best done in winter. Though the views from this mountain are nice, the actual mountain is not much to stare at and there are plenty of mountains in summer that require the same effort in summer but give a better result. 

Camping

I saw no signs specifically prohibiting camping however I saw no desirable places to camp either. Besides this is a very easy day-hike and I would not recommend camping in a logging area.

External Links

Baby Blue Peakbagger Page