Viewing: 1-20 of 20
nartreb

nartreb - Apr 1, 2008 2:21 pm - Voted 10/10

not a route page

Change this to a Trip Report and you've got my vote.

rayray

rayray - Apr 1, 2008 6:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: not a route page

Please clarify why you don't think this is a route page. Although the route does not lead to an actual summit, it is still a route.
Thanks,
Ray

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 1, 2008 9:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: not a route page

I like it, but I would change it to an article myself. Yes, it's a route, and it's a trip report, but I think it's of broader interest. I hope it ends up on the front page!

grunt

grunt - Apr 1, 2008 6:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Beat me to it.

I've been meaning to do this page for a long time. DAMN IT! I was going to put it as an article or custom object.

rayray

rayray - Apr 1, 2008 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beat me to it.

Thanks for signing in! I actually considered putting up a page last year but didn't. I'm sure with four marches under your belt, you'll get out this way again. It's a test, that's for sure...but a lot of fun too.

surgent

surgent - Apr 8, 2008 10:10 am - Voted 10/10

Fascinating.

I did not know of this event. I would love to participate in the next one. I'm an old WSMR kid; it'd be nice to go back.

rayray

rayray - Apr 15, 2008 1:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fascinating.

The History Channel did a piece on the real Death March several years ago and mentioned this event. It's a great event that is well organized.

rayray

rayray - Apr 15, 2008 1:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fascinating.

The History Channel did a piece on the real Death March several years ago and mentioned this event. It's a great event that is well organized.

ElevatedZero

ElevatedZero - Apr 8, 2008 3:26 pm - Hasn't voted

What about the Manchu Mile?

A buckle from the Manchu Mile can only be one-upped by a key-chain from the Death March. From what I have heard, the Manchu is a wild day on foot as well.

rayray

rayray - Apr 15, 2008 1:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What about the Manchu Mile?

Wasn't familiar with the Manchu Mile so I Google'd it...it seems like a good one.

mtybumpo

mtybumpo - Apr 16, 2008 6:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Bataan

I spent 2 years in the Philippines and I've seen the actual Bataan. I've also been to the American War Cemetary in Manila which was a very humbling experince. It really helps you realize just how many people lost their lives in the Pacific during WWII, not to mention Europe and elsewhere. Not only is it HOT in the Philippines but I can't imagine walking that far while starving and under constant threat of being killed! Those men who had to suffer through this deserve to be memorialized.

rayray

rayray - Apr 17, 2008 12:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bataan

Thank you....that was well stated. You hit the nail on the head.

lizrdboy

lizrdboy - Apr 23, 2008 12:00 am - Voted 10/10

Nice Post Ray

Article, route or trip report... it reads the same. Thanks for putting this up. It's quite an experience to do the march and meet some of the living survivors.

baloodh2000

baloodh2000 - Apr 30, 2008 1:02 am - Hasn't voted

El Paso

I was stationed in El Paso at Ft Bliss. Finished the Bataan Death March 2 times. How do you like wall at the end? Just keeps going and going and going. And going. Great memories. Next time spend a few weeks down in El Paso. Try Las Palmas Del Sol Half Marathon, Trans Mountain Challenge and then the Death March. Makes for some tired muscles.... Nice to see the respect for those old guys who deserve it! Having done field problems out at WSMR I can say I have had enough of that place LOL. As a former soldier there is nothing like that role call. Definitely pulls all my patriotic strings. Thank for the write-up.

grunt

grunt - May 18, 2008 4:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: El Paso

Never did the Las Palmas, but did do the Transmountain Challenge. Fun stuff! What unit were you in? I was in 108th & 31st brigades, and twice in 6th for school.

baloodh2000

baloodh2000 - May 18, 2008 7:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: El Paso

208th Signal 108th ADA. Signal Pride! You probably never saw us because we lived in the field and vacationed at the barracks. I was on the Brigade Army Ten Miler Team 1 year and the Ft Bliss Army Ten Miler team for 2 years. All those races down there are fun. Did you ever do the october-fest on post? Great run as well. Think that was just a 5k.

Outdooraholic

Outdooraholic - Mar 30, 2009 10:34 am - Hasn't voted

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Just completed the Death March for the second year in a row yesterday. After I had finished I was waiting in the truck for the rest of my companions to crawl in I was watching the hordes of participants who had just finished as they hobbled across the parking lots to there cars, barely able to even walk. I couldn't help but ask myself why we all do this to ourselves, many like myself, year after year. What brings us back? Anyone in there right mind would say never again. I did last year, and yet here I am in bed with tired bones and muscles just like last year. Why?

rayray

rayray - Jul 22, 2009 8:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Why do we do this to ourselves?

Congrats! I hear what you're sayin' -- just your body telling you you're still alive. No better cause than what this represents. I hope to get back that way to participate in the future!

Outdooraholic

Outdooraholic - Mar 30, 2009 10:37 am - Hasn't voted

History/Discovery Channels

On a more positive note there was a film crew there this year filming for the History and Discovery channels. The were making a documentary called The Road to Bataan or something like that. I spoke to the director/producer and he said that it would also be coming out on DVD. Just a heads up.

rayray

rayray - Jul 22, 2009 8:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: History/Discovery Channels

I look forward to seeing it when it's released. Thanks for the heads up!

Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Return to 'Bataan Memorial Death March' main page