Ben Lomond Comments

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Klenke

Klenke - Dec 29, 2003 3:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page. No doubt this peak is named after Ben Lomond in Scotland. The Scottish version, at 3,193 ft and looming quite prominently over Loch Lomond in the southwest part of the country, is a moderately famous mountain in the British Isles.



Also, it is redundant to say Ben Lomond Peak, as the word "Ben" (also Beinn) means something like "peak" or "mountain" in Gaelic/Scottish. You might want to check a USGS map (Topozone not being sufficient in my mind). If the USGS labels the peak only as "Ben Lomond" then the word peak should be dropped here. If the USGS labels it with peak on the end, I would leave the word and go with the USGS version, as this is 'official' for this country.

imontop

imontop - Jan 11, 2004 7:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hey, Mr Wasatch does an admirable job! The dude's been everywhere! Keep it up

Scott

Scott - Nov 16, 2004 10:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Has all the right info and enough to get you to the top. I agree that you may want to drop the "peak".

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 6, 2011 7:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Info

I love the part about the connection to Paramount. I had no idea. Often, I have wondered what mountain the logo was modeled after, and my best guess has been the Grand Teton, though there are obvious differences, of course.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Dec 6, 2011 8:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Info

Thanks Bob! I think if you just look at the appearance of the mountain than almost everyone would think the Paramount Logo originated from a more famous mountain. The Grand Teton would have been a good choice for sure. But if you look at the history behind it, then you can see how William W. Hodkinson would have chosen Ben Lomond where he grew up as a child.

RobSC

RobSC - Dec 12, 2011 12:03 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great Info

Nice Page! I've always heard that the Paramount logo is Artesonraju in Peru. If you see it from the Alpamayo basecamp it looks almost identical. Here's a picture that I took once...

http://www.summitpost.org/artesonraju/409249

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Dec 12, 2011 1:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Info

Thank you Rob! The Paramount logo has changed several times over the years. The original black and white logo resembles Ben Lomond, as a gentler snow capped peak. And also the Blue Mountain version of the logo resembles Ben Lomond. Other variations of the Paramount logo were most likely modeled after Artesonraju in Peru. You can see the difference when comparing all of the logos at the same time.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Ben Lomond' main page