Blue-flies?!

Blue-flies?!

Onslaught by millions of blue flies. Descended on the camp after following us for about 3 hours from up by the crater. Insect repellent just makes them stick to you.
Baarb
on Sep 16, 2008 10:18 pm
Image Type(s): Wildlife
Image ID: 443683

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
BCJ

BCJ - Sep 17, 2008 6:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Crazy

How long did they stick around for?

Baarb

Baarb - Sep 17, 2008 9:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Crazy

Fortunately for only a few hours till the wind and rain picked up. Didn't see them again after that, though the mosquitoes were always about to be sure :)

joan

joan - Jun 18, 2012 11:15 am - Voted 7/10

Blue- Flies?!

That's a lot of blue flies. What was there that they were attracted to?

Baarb

Baarb - Jun 19, 2012 1:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Blue- Flies?!

I'm really not sure to be honest. At one work site we came across them seemingly just sitting (do bugs sit?) on the ground. Then after a while I guess we disturbed them to the point where they swarmed over us, our clothes, equipment, everything essentially. Insect repellant was totally ineffective. While we didn't notice them on the way back to camp they turned up shortly after our arrival and promptly covered tents with certain colours and not others. Maybe it was some different flies or maybe it was just the wind direction but it was pretty odd all the same. Didn't see any again after that.

joan

joan - Jul 29, 2012 8:33 pm - Voted 7/10

Blue Flies

That is very odd. There should be something to repel them blue flies. Did it rain after that? I know a house fly will sit on the ceiling when it's about to rain.

Baarb

Baarb - Jul 29, 2012 8:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Blue Flies

It did, though it rained quite a lot of the time so I'm not sure what to make of that. Perhaps they're described in some kind of entomology guide somewhere.

joan

joan - Sep 12, 2012 10:01 pm - Voted 7/10

Blue flies

Sorry it took me so long to get back, very busy in the summer. I think there is a site that describes different kinds of bug and incests. I bet we could find out information there if I could just remember the site

Ima - Aug 3, 2014 4:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Blue Flies?

The reason I Googled blue fly was because one was darting around me (outside) at home. It finally landed (on the ground) and it was almost an iridescent dark blue. Long and thin. I had never seen such a thing. (I am 67 Years old)
Strange.
Here is a link to "Snopes" website, about an insect spy drone...read the whole article....they say it it not imminent or even practical, true or not true? who knows.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/insectdrone.asp

Viewing: 1-8 of 8