Brocken's Specter or Spectrum since Whymper until Osw (1865-1976/7) / 2

Brocken's Specter or Spectrum since Whymper until Osw (1865-1976/7) / 2

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

Ghost/Phantom Overview Spectrum/Specter

All documentations of this page are by Camillo Roberto Ferronato & Osw 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978 and 1996.

Osvaldo Cardellina along the last stretch of the  Monte Emilius s SW ridge (Aug 04, 1974)


My colleague of Mathematics and Physics had explained to me that what I had seen on Emilius was an ordinary optical refraction phenomenon. Not a true Ghost.
But when I explained to him that I was moving and he remained firm and undaunted, he too with rope, did not know what to say to me. Then when I showed him the Edward Whymper design with three Crosses under a semi-circular sign in the sky, then also photographed, she was stunned. Maybe Brocken Spectre, but this time in the flesh ...

Emilius s in the SUMMIT and Surr. EMO & SUGGESTIONS  BLIZZARD & SNOWSTORM


Il mio collega di Matematica e Fisica m'aveva spiegato che ciò che avevo avvistato sull'Emilius era banale fenomeno di rifrazione ottica. Non un vero Fantasma.
Ma quando ho spiegato ch'io mi muovevo e lui rimaneva fermo ed imperterrito, anche lui con la corda, non sapeva cosa rispondermi. Poi quando ho fatto vedere il disegno di Edward Whymper con tre Croci sotto un segno semicircolare nel cielo, poi pur fotografato, rimase sbalordito. Forse lo Spettro di Brocken, ma sta volta in carne ed ossa ...

A long Story on Western Ridge (1902-1976/77)

EMILIUS s INFERNAL & Integral stormy WEST RIDGE 1976
MOUNT EMILIUS Original West Ridge with Storm 1976
EMILIUS s 1976 INFERNAL WEST RIDGE and Integral from Carrel Pass


The first time I got on this Western Ridge was 4th August 1974. A long bucking done in a day from Pila-Resort who had shown us the Witches and the Ghosts.
The first because it was very long and the mentality as Pourists of the time, that does not prevent the slightest detail on the ridge, had turned into eternal, so that, having reached the Col Ròss, the Roby wanted to run down to the underlying Comboé. Stuff to see Witches for the fatigue, while the Ghosts appeared later when, having reached the "Grey Jump", I had the "good idea" to bypass the same on the North Face of Mount Emilius. A very "shithouse" of rotten rocks shrouded in a thick fog. A discovery by wags, but
had disappeared coming in the Top where the satisfaction of this beautiful hill had removed the wicked Witches and completely cast out the evil Phantoms ...
Those Ghosts that only a good Abbot can guess and predict as did the Abbé Joseph-Marie Henry 17th September 1902 together with the Guide Grégoire Comé of Charvensod:
""Beyond this we came to a great slab. "Cappuccino" being well-illuminated by the setting sun, it seemed to look at us." The capuchin is watching us, "says Comé", bad sign. "We go beyond him, I added myself, and then it there He will address the back and it will be good sign. So we did, and helping us with hands and feet on a crumbling rock, but safe enough, we reached the top of the shoulder or Little Emilius. "Then I said to Grégoire Comé: "grant me a small satisfaction: we go to the point where we had to arrest us yesterday, to be able to say and write that we have done all the crest of Monte Emilius from Colle Carrel to the Summit, and so that those who want to repeat the same route are sure to be able to travel the whole and entire length. Comé had consented and followed me to the crest of the shoulder: so I had the satisfaction of reaching the exact spot I had reached the day before descending to the other side of the ridge from the Vertex of Emilius. Then we returned on our steps to the end of the Great Shoulder ... "
Witches instead had seen Emilio This and Felice Mondini who had climbed the same after three days. A big drudgery, convinced to make a first ascent and, ignoring that of the Abbé, they climbing even had starting from Aosta. A great undertaking for people coming from the Ligurian Sea and belonged to the Ligurian Section of C.A.I., as if to say that at that time the steel hocks also had them as "sailors". The upper part was however already been traveled August 30, 1897 by Giovan Battista Devalle and Ercole Daniele with the Valtournanche Mountain Guides Alessandro Pession and Luigi Bich, escaping from the frozen North Wall where, even without the Cappuccino, they had seen Witches and Ghosts.

The very long S-SW Buttress to Mount Emilius 1974
On the trail ... M. Ròss Jag <i>3150m</i> without bridge 1978
EMOTIONS & SUG Sec. Part Before the  Via Ferrata  1977


Even the second time a long climb done in a day from Pila-Resort that had made us see the Brocken Spectre and his Phantom. It was the first of August 1976.
A dark day in which we wanted to repeat the routes of 1902, on Henry's, Comé's, Questa's and Mondini's footsteps. It had been already since 74 years, but on the same the climbs you could count on your fingers. The Guide Adolfo Giulio said "Dulo" and his wife Aurora Wuillerminaz (then shot by the Nazis) downhill July 20th, 1941 to the "Becca" after rising for the North-Northeast Corner and authors of the great tour of the Arpisson, preceded in same winter from Nerino Gobbo of Trieste. But this time no one knows if via the Col Carrel or Col Ròss. Then absolute silence for another 35 years. He had to go and look for why only 4 steps on this ridge in a time lapse thus extended. The answer was not long in coming. Once at Col Carrel (2912m) with a fog that you cut with the knife, we stop for a snack and meditate at the ancient and still existing at that time the Hunting House of the Gamekeepers by Baron Egon Beck Peckoz. Then wrapped in a "mysterious" fog start upwards to the ridge, the thread of the edge of which shows us the path to follow. Until you reach the Reddish Tooth (3150m) and here we explain the mystery and you understand the vagaries of Henry and Comé on the right towards the channels from the West Wall of the Mont Ròss de Comboé back upstream of the barrier. A vertical jump of about thirty metres blocking the way. Despite the vertical rock and poor footholds descend in free climbing, reaching the small fork where from the South comes the first of the gullies, while in the North rushes with steep rocks above the Western Glacier of Arpisson. After the "mauvais pas" continue smoothly over the overlying pinnacles that alternate with narrow notchs. We do not see the Capuchin of 1902 because it is hidden in the fog, but on the other hand, while they are at the top of a spire I see on that outdated antecedence in a Phantom. An embalmed mummy of white smoke perfectly reflects my image but rotated by 180 ° with the right on the left side. including coil of rope, hanging "mocking" from the forearm. I try to move, but she does not move of an one millimeter. As if to ask me what I want and what I do over there and with that bad weather. I call on the help by Roby wich, as usual, does not see anything or pretend ago. As well as in the summer of 1974 when we saw the Cigar Spaceship of U.F.O. Even if getting out by the car he had asked what the thing that was there. Before switch off himself, because then he almost always denied everything and charge to the fact that I was forced to get up at impossible hours of the night, and when I tell him of Revenants we've heard with "Lupetto" and my son Christian, baby, look at me puzzled ... It always comes to my mind Peter's with Jesus. Poor Christ, go to trust of the Friends!
Then, as she had come, silently Mummy walked away up to the disappearing into a "puzzled" fog that still wonders where she went. Almost desperately disappointed of being abandoned by this apparition, continued our ascent. Always on the edge of the ridge to the Summit, including "Jumping Grey" to avoid the disappointments of two years earlier.
Third time wase 11th July 1977 and we are going to explore the ridge starting by the opposite Ròss Col (3091m), thus avoiding this unpleasant "Cappuccino".
An apathetic gray Dawn with colors on the sky a pale heavenly, but reached the Col intense blue was printed against the sky. Do not turn your face away because otherwise see Capuchin on the ridge parallel. This is bad luck. So instead we made and sky began to cover themselves mingling with colors of a sloppy snow hanging on bulges ...

EMILIUS s SOUTHWEST Buttress, First Ascent Absolute and Integral 1974
EMILIUS s SW Buttress, First Ascent 1974: Descendig from Comboé s TRIDENT
MONTE EMILIUS SW Spur crossing 1974 with Variant on North Face Right Route 1998


La prima volta che son salito su questa cresta era il 4 di Agosto 1974. Lunga sgroppata fatta in giornata da Pila che ci aveva fatto vedere le Streghe e Fantasmi.
Le prime perché la medesima era molto lunga e la mentalità da Puristi dei tempi, tale da non evitare il minimo dettaglio sul fil di cresta, l'aveva tramutata in eterna, tanto che, giunti al Col Ròss, il Roby voleva scappar giù verso il sottostante Comboé. Roba da veder le streghe per la fatica, mentre i Fantasmi son apparsi più avanti quando, giunti al "Salto Grigio", ho avuto "bell'idea" d'aggirar lo stesso sulla Parete Nord dell'Emilius. Un "merdaio" di rocce marce avvolte da una fitta nebbia. Trovata da mattacchioni, che però era scomparsa arrivando in Cima ove la soddisfazione di questa bella salita aveva allontanato le Streghe malvage e completamente scacciato i cattivi Fantasmi ...
Fantasmi che sol un buon Abate può intuire e prevedere com'aveva fatto l'Abbé Joseph-Marie Henry il 17 Settembre 1902 insieme alla Guida Grégoire Comé di Charvensod:
"Oltrepassato questo lastrone giungemmo ad un "cappuccino". Essendo ben illuminato dal sole che tramontava, esso pareva che ci guardasse. "Il cappuccino ci guarda", dice Comé, "cattivo segno". oltrepassiamolo, soggiunsi io, ed allora esso ci rivolgerà il dorso e sarà buon segno. Così facemmo e, aiutandoci con mani e piedi su per una roccia sgretolata, ma sufficientemente sicura, giungemmo alla sommità della Spalla o Piccolo Emilius. "Allora dissi a Comé: "accordatemi una piccola soddisfazione: andiamo fino al punto dove abbiamo dovuto arrestarci ieri, per poter dire e scrivere che noi abbiamo fatto tutta la cresta dell'Emilius, dal Colle Carrel fino alla vetta e affinché quelli che vorranno ripetere la medesima via siano sicuri di poterla seguire per intero. Comé acconsentì e mi seguì per la cresta della Spalla: così ebbi la soddisfazione di giungere al punto preciso che avevo raggiunto il giorno precedente discendendo per l'altra parte della cresta dalla vetta dell'Emilius. Ritornammo poi sui nostri passi fino all'estremità ..."
Le Streghe invece le avevano viste Emilio Questa e Felice Mondini che avevano salito la medesima tre giorni appresso. Una grande sfacchinata, convinti di effettuare una prima salita ed ignorando quella dell'Abbé erano partiti addirittura da Aosta. Una bella impresa per gente che arrivava dal Mare Ligure ed apparteneva alla Sezione Ligure del C.A.I., come a dire che a quei tempi i garretti di acciaio li avevano anche i "marinai". La parte alta invece era stata percorsa già il 30 Agosto 1897 da Giovan Battista Devalle ed Ercole Daniele con le Guide di Valtournanche Alessandro Pession e Luigi Bich, evadendo dalla ghiacciata Parete Nord dove, anche in assenza del Cappuccino, avean visto Streghe e Fantasmi.

Remains of the Old BARON BECK PECKOZ SHELTER 1976
...  by The Abbots ... At beginning of West Ridge 1976
... by The Monks ... M. Ròss Comboé New Cairn 1976


Anche la seconda volta una lunga salita fatta in giornata da Pila che ci aveva fatto vedere lo Spettro di Brocken ed il suo Fantasma. Era il Primo d'Agosto 1976.
Una buia giornata nella quale volevamo ripetere gli itinerari del 1902, sulle orme di Henry, Comé, Questa e Mondini. Erano trascorsi 74 anni, ma sulla medesima le ascensioni si potevano contare sulla punta delle dita. La Guida Adolfo Giulio detto "Dulo" e la moglie Aurora Wuillerminaz (fucilata poi dai nazisti) in discesa il 20 Luglio 1941 verso la "Becca" dopo essere saliti per lo Spigolo Nord-nordest ed autori del grande tour dell'Arpisson, preceduti nello stesso inverno dal triestino Nerino Gobbo. Ma di questo non si sà se attraverso il Col Carrel od il Col Ròss. Poi un silenzio assoluto per altri 35 anni. Bisognava andare a curiosare del perché di soli 4 passaggi su questa cresta in un lasso di tempo così lato. La risposta non tarda a venire. Giunti al Col Carrel (2912 m) con una nebbia che si taglia con il coltello, ci fermiamo per fare uno spuntino e meditare presso l'antica ed a quei tempi ancora esistente Casa dei Guardiacaccia del Barone Egon Beck Peckoz. Poi avvolti da una nebbia "misteriosa" partiamo sù per la cresta, il filo della quale ci indica la linea da seguire. Fino a raggiungere il Dente Rossiccio (3150 m) e qui si spiega il mistero e si comprendono le divagazioni di Henry e Comé sulla destra verso i canali che dalla Parete Ovest del Mont Ròss de Comboé risalgono a monte dell'ostacolo. Un salto verticale di una trentina" di metri sbarra la via. Nonostante la roccia marcia e gli scarsi appigli scendiamo in arrampicata libera raggiungendo l'esigua forcella dove da Sud arriva il primo dei canali, mentre a Settentrione precipita con ripide rocce sopra il Ghiacciaio Occidentale d'Arpisson. Superato il "mauvais pas" proseguiamo agevolmente sui soprastanti pinnacoli che s'alternano a stretti intagli. Non vediamo il Cappuccino del 1902 perché si nasconde nella nebbia ma, in compenso, mentre sono al sommo d'una guglia vedo su quella sorpassata in antecedenza un Fantasma. Una mummia imbalsamata di fumo bianco riflette perfettamente la mia immagine ma ruotata di 180° con la destra posta a sinistra. Rotolo di corda compreso, che pende "beffardo" dall'avambraccio. Provo a spostarmi, ma lei non si muove d'un solo millimetro. Quasi a chiedermi cosa voglio e cosa faccio da quelle parti e con quel tempaccio. Chiamo in aiuto il Roby che, come al solito, non vede nulla oppur fà finta. Come nell'estate del 1974 quando avevam visto il Sigaro Astronave degli U.F.O. Scendendo dall'auto m'aveva pur chiesto cosa fosse quell'affare lì, sospeso nel buio cielo. Prima che si spegnesse, perchè poi aveva quasi sempre negato tutto addebitando al fatto che l'avevo costretto ad alzatacce ad ore impossibili della notte e quando racconto dei Revenants che abbiamo sentito col "Lupetto" e mio figlio Christian, bambino, mi guarda assai perplesso ... Mi vien sempre in mente il Pietro con Gesù. Povero Cristo, vai a fidarti degli Amici!
Poi, come era venuta, in silenzio la Mummia se ne é andata scomparendo in una nebbia "perplessa" che ancora oggi si chiede dove sia. Quasi desolatamente deluso d'esser stato abbandonato da quell'apparizione, continuammo la nostra ascensione. Sempre sul filo di cresta fin in Vetta, compreso il "Salto Grigio" per evitare le brutte sorprese di due anni fà.
La terza volta era l'11 Luglio 1977 ed andavamo ad esplorare la cresta partendo dall'opposto Col Ròss (3091 m), evitando così st'antipatico d'un "Cappuccino".
Un'Alba apatica e grigia colorava il cielo d'un pallido celestino, ma giunti al Col Ròss un azzurro intenso si stampava contro il cielo. Non girarti dall'altra parte perché altrimenti vedi il Cappuccino sulla cresta parallela e ciò porta male. Sì facemmo ed il cielo incominciò a coprirsi mischiandosi coi colori d'una sciatta neve sospesa sulle sporgenze ...

Direct to MONT ROSS de COMBOE and Integral West Ridge to EMILIUS 1977
Osvaldo Cardellina al Col Ross...
On EMILIUS s Old and Original WEST Ridge at present & since 2000  via  ferrata  also  iron route  (SIC !)



Comments

No comments posted yet.