Classic Corner

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.8
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Classic Corner of Calico Basin is an awesome 5.8 that is easily accessed. This aesthetic line has varied climbing in an amazing varnished corner. The Classic Corner is East Facing, thus, if it is warm and you are chasing the shade, this is a great afternoon climb. Conversely, if it is cold and you are chasing the sun, this is an excellent morning climb. And of course if it is perfect out, get after it all day.

Getting There

From the 215 and Charleston Blvd, take Charleston Blvd West to the Calico Basin turnout on the right. Follow the road around a bend to where the road forks right, go straight here into the obvious Picnic Area/Parking Lot, the Red Springs Picnic Area. From the parking lot, looking at the cliffs to the West, the Classic Corner is visible up and right of the parking lot. Hike up to a ledge system where some 3rd class will get you to the base of this route.

Route Description

Begin in the obvious dihedral, go up. As it begins to slant left, you will have several options. Continue up through thin moves, or break left and escape via easy face climbing. This route can be done with a 60 meter rope and there are no anchors at the top. Scramble down the obvious gully to the lookers left of the climb and giggle the whole way.

Essential Gear

Gear to 3.5"

External Links

http://mountainproject.com/v/classic-corner/105732608
Geography