Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.88161°N / 121.5191°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 6290 ft / 1917 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Looking north to other summits



Here is yet another great peak that features a lot of bang for the buck. Located on the eastern border of Mount Rainier National Park. This seldom visited summit features great views of the this region as well as a very entertaining route. A camera is mandatory if you plan on attempting this mountain. Unlike its neighbor Yakima Peak, Deadwood Peak is best attempted when the snow melts. To have any shot at the Class 3+ sketchy and exposed summit final block, the snow must be clear.

Deadwood Peak



Deadwood Peak is best attempted from going around the summit area and heading up the southwestern slopes to the true summit. From the parking one must climb over the ridge then head down from the ridge roughly a half mile and 300 feet downhill before finding a Class 2 gully and take it up to the ridgeline. Once on the ridge one must traverse the ridge and then rise up to the summit ridge. All of this is easily doable when snow is present. In fact is is actually easier then when there is no snow. You will be able to come to within 25 feet of the summit without hitting any sketchy terrain.

The last scramble


The last 25 feet though to the summit is Class 3+ and requires traverse a short but lose 55-60 degree gully. It is not for the faint of heart. Strong scramble skills are required if you plan making the true summit of this mountain. Otherwise the views just short of the summit block are very similiar on the ridgeline.

Nearing the summit ridge

Deadwood Peak

Getting There

VIA 410: The trailhead to Deadwood Peak is located on Highway 410 roughly a fifth of a mile east of Chinook Pass. Park on in the parking area on the northern lot towards the ridgeline in the obvious parking area that also has bathroom facilities for guests.

Red Tape

None on the trailhead. The parking area more serves tourist for taking picture rather than for peakbaggers. I would though suggest this is day use parking area though.

Camping

Backcountry Permit Required for Camping while in Mount Rainier National Park. For more information please click here

Deadwood Peak is located right on the border between Mount Rainier National Park and Wenatchee National Forest. Therefore the rules on one side of the peak are completly different from the other side of the peak.

Since Deadwood Peak is only 3 miles and 1200 feet of elevation gain I would highly recommended not camping when doing this peak.

External Links

The best place on the web to get recent trail conditions and ideas for hikes and scrambles