Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 7, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Dirtyface

Got to the trail head at 8:30. Mosquitoes were really bad. Thank god I wore long sleeve and long pants even though it turned out to be 92 degrees. Reapplied repellant 3 times. My husband was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and he can't count the number of bug bites. BAD...

We brought our 5 year old boxer, and what we thought would be plenty of water. Lots of springs and water the first 2 miles up to the falls. After that it is bone dry. Trail was nicely maintained and relatively easy. Plenty of shade the first 3 miles to take breaks from the sun. Spots of snow the last mile which our dog took advantage of, laying down. Surprisingly our dog did not hold up well. He drank more water than we did...and in hind sight we should have turned around before getting to the peak. It was super hot. Like I said 92 degrees.

The view wasn't as spectacular as we were hoping. My husband and I are avid climbers and were expecting Glacier Peak to be prominent and it wasn't. No shade on top and the mosquitoes were all over us. Stayed on top for 15 minutes...15 minutes too long.

Since we stopped 4 times to let our dog rest we did not get back to the trail head until 2:30. (9 miles round trip)The trail is very dry. Physically it was a great first real spring/summer hike for us. Great workout. Legs are killing us. But will not hike this peak again.

Comments

No comments posted yet.