From Spiterstulen

From Spiterstulen

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 61.39060°N / 8.33160°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overwiew

From Spiterstulen to the summit of Glittertind you have a long and steep ascent with a elevation difference of 1400 meters of altitude. 

Getting There

Spiterstulen mountain station is located just south of the small village Lom and can easily be reached by car or buss. Notice that the bus from Lom till Spiterstulen only drive during high season in July and August. 

Route Description

From Spiterstulen you begin to walk down the dirt road that exits Spiterstulen. After about 5-10 minutes you reach the trailhead for the route to Glittertind. The path is marked with the letter "T" in red coulour. The first part of the ascent takes you up a grassy slope with moderate steepness to the "Stendalen" valley, loctated at 1500 m.a.s.l. When entering Stendalen the summit of Glittertind comes in view. Its snow-caped summit dominates the surroundings and you now have to cross a stream in order to continue on the right path. The stream can be a littele bit tricky to cross so take it easy and dont rush it. After the crossing of the stream just go straight forward Glittertind. After about half an hour you reach the mountain. The first 400 altitude meters of the mountain is steep with rocky terrain but dont offer any techinal problems. At 2000 meters the mountain flatterns out a bit and soon the first snow will appear that is mixed with big blockes of rock. Its easy to take a wrong step in this section so take it easy hear. At about 2200 meters you enter the summit plateu. Its actually a glacier that is snow covered all year around. Early in the season the snow can be really deep so make sure to keep your shoes dry. For the last half an hour work your self up the moderate steep snow slope all the way to the summit. Even though this glacier is almost free from crevasses there are some of them at the actually summit so keep your eyes open. The summit is really big and the absolute highest point has overhangs of snow on the edges so if you walk up to the highest point, keep in the middele. In the summer of 2016 a couple of Italian hikers fell through the overhang all the way down the north face to their death. The ascent takes about 3-6 hours depending on your pace and the same back.   

Essential Gear

No special gear is required since this is a trekking summit. The summit can be chilly and temperature can drop down to minus 10 degrees on a bad day but mostly stay at around 0 degrees. The temperature difference between Spiterstulen and Glittertind is about 15 degrees so my advise is to begin with thinner cloting and take on a windsuit jacket when you reach the snow slope. 

External Links

Add External Links text here.