Gelé: when the Fog forces you to do an encore

Gelé: when the Fog forces you to do an encore

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing

Misty OVERVIEW




You can climb the same mountain twice in the same day? Certainly. There is no ban, at least for now. But to make this a reason or a personal motivation must also exist. Incidentally if you go to Mont Blanc along the Midi Pass can happen that climbs the Blanc de Tacul and Maudit both during uphill on the way back down. Same thing for the Dôme du Gôuter along the two roads coming from the two Shelters Gôuter Gonella by Bionnassay Crest. Or you can do these Summit climbing and avoid them down. Otherwise do not do them in both cases "cutting" right side. All you can do.




"He who despairs, who laughs and those looking for mushrooms. Always in The Fog", by toddo


I remember having made June 29, 1975 from the crossing to the Tsaat Etsena (2973m) at Becchi of Fana (2951m) across all four elevations in return then return to Tsaat and from this again to the Beaks while now descended the dark and my Friends were preparing the "Fires of St. Peter Paul", as is the tradition in the Aosta Valley. If not stopped me I was there I crossed even now. Another time I was dropped in 1996 by Becca Salé in the storm, but heard the helicopter reach the R.A.I., which was to carry out the locations for the placement of the Cross on Tips Gianni Junod, I returned running back on the Top trying to show me screaming out loud because the fog enveloped everything. "Staggering" with a ride on the Lac Laures, 600 metres below, he went away. I was left to go down again to reach the Roby and Franco who had not wanted to go back in the absolutely most haunts. Once to workout, because another forced by practical needs and so on. It happened to me to get on top of the Mont Paramont while we started to do the Punta Bianca. Opening, unwittingly, a new route on the Southwest Face with Danilo and my son Roy. Only 40 meters from the Top I realized the mistake, seeing the ruins perimeter of a building just below the same. The fog was so thick that you could cut with a knife. Danilo was happy because he had climbed a rope that had climbed his brother Ilario in 1969 by the North Wall. My son Roy it was not interested at all: one or the other was the same. Not me, I was a little puzzled, thinking that I was starting to "go ga ga". But those hooves rock at the base with the fog is just all the same ... But this time the Mont Gelé no. It was really different "forcing" me and the poor Jan to climb it twice. One immediately after the other.



"Time to Werewolves", by om


Si può salire due volte la stessa Montagna nel medesimo giorno? Certamente. Non esiste alcun divieto, almeno per adesso. Però per fare ciò un motivo od una motivazione personale devono pure esistere. Daltronde se andate al Monte Bianco lungo la via del Col du Midi può succedere che salite il Mont Blanc de Tacul ed il Mont Maudit sia in fase di salita che al ritorno in discesa. Stessa cosa per il Dôme du Gôuter lungo le due vie che arrivano dai due Rifugi del Gôuter e del Gonella attraverso la Cresta di Bionnassay. Oppure potete fare queste Sommità salendo ed evitarle in discesa. Altrimenti non far loro in entrambi i casi "tagliando" subito a fianco sugli spalloni. Tutto si può fare.




"Il Pepin no sà pu douvlé/Peppino does not know where it is most", by p-mike


Mi ricordo d'aver fatto il 29 giugno 1975 la traversata dalla Tsaat a l'Etsena (2973 m) ai Becchi di Fana (2951 m) attraversando tutte e quattro le elevazioni in andata e ritorno per poi tornare alla Tsaat Punta Orientale e da questa nuovamente ai Becchi, mentre ormai calava il buio ed i miei Amici preparavano i "Fuochi di Pietro e Paolo", com'è nella tradizione in Val d'Aosta. Se non mi fermavan ero lì che attraversavo ancora adesso. Un'altra volta nel 1996 ero sceso dalla Becca di Salè nella tormenta ma, sentito arrivare l'elicottero della R.A.I., che doveva effettuare le riprese per il posizionamento della Croce sulle Punte Gianni Junod, son ritornato correndo sulla Sommità cercando di farmi vedere urlando a squarciagola, perché le nebbie tutto avvolgevano. "Barcollando" con un giro sopra il Lac des Laures, 600 metri al di sotto, se ne andò. Non mi rimaneva che scendere di nuovo per raggiungere il Roby ed il Franco che non avevano voluto assolutamente più risalire in quella tormenta. Una volta per far allenamento, un'altra perché costretto da esigenze pratiche e così via. Mi é successo di arrivare in cima al Mont Paramont mentre eravamo partiti per fare la Punta Bianca. Aprendo, senza volerlo, una via nuova sulla Parete Sudovest con il Danilo e mio figlio Roy. Solo a 40 metri dalla Sommità m'ero accorto dell'errore, vedendo i ruderi perimetrali d'una costruzione appena sotto la medesima. La nebbia era così spessa che si poteva tagliar col coltello. Danilo era contento perché aveva scalato una Cima che aveva salito anche suo fratello Ilario nel 1969 facendo la Parete Nord. A mio figlio Roy la cosa non fregava per niente: una o l'altra era lo stesso. Io no, rimasi un poco interdetto pensando che stavo iniziando a "rimbambire". Però quegli zoccoli rocciosi alla base con la nebbia son proprio tutti uguali ... Ma quella volta al Mont Gelé no. Fu davvero diversa "costringendo" me ed il povero Jan a scalarlo due volte. Una subito dietro l'altra.




"The Good Day starts in the morning", by "Crevassino"

Inside the Fog




"The Fog flattens everything and reigning Sovereign", by emilius


That time, July 30, 1967 (I was 18), we were at the Bivouac Franco Spataro to make the inauguration with C.A.I. Aosta. The same had (they recently removed) 9 beds in bunk beds. We slept in 24. I was the outside of the three and we had "make" tying us with ropes, like in a real campfire in the wall. Not to fall overnight. The others were on the plank. Who could not stand was out on the floor with the sleeping bag. A dramatic night, counting the minutes waiting for dawn. I will be dropped ten times (I was on the upper floor), but the strings I had held back by not fall on those below. A Tregenda. And Alba (The Dawn) came with all that quivered to go. At the Mont Gelé. A light snowfall, out of season, falls discontinuously whitening everything when we leave at 5:10 for a dawn that promises little good. Under the Pass of Crete Sèche at the beginning of the glacier we bind ourselves. With Gianni Junod and Giovanni Quaccia. This last is freed almost immediately saying that I go too fast. Gianni ago the same thing to the Col du Mont Gelé with the same motivation. What to do? I tie with Jan Westenbroeck a big blond Dutch for years comes from Holland to spend a month with Friends C.A.I. Aosta. Jan goes that is marvel and on the edge of South Crest reach the Mont de la Balme (3347m), while the others go up under the Glacier of Mont Gele through the Standard Via. Then we go down a hill and into the fog, which becomes thicker, we continue on the Southeast Crest (but then we did not know it was that) no longer saw anyone or anything. Only the voices and the scrape of ice axes and crampons below make it clear to us that others are going up. Passing of traits is not easy and we move almost always simultaneously at 7.30 we are at the small stone cairn of Top.



"Meditation into the Fog", by Jan Westenbroeck


The fog hell did not see us anything, not even the great exposure on the East Wall. Throughout the climb we have had under his feet ten, a hundred or a thousand meters, but it makes no difference because we are not aware of anything. Everything is muffled and seems to fall down them. When for a moment the fog rip open we can see the great chasm to Switzerland. But if it is directed to the East or to the North do not know. Then it closes again. Suddenly. We go down to fifty meters to eat. When we finally hear the voices of others arriving. Do not have nice faces. Down at supersonic speed. On the hill there is a party that rises from the slope of Ollomont and Jan knows one of them. The World is just small! We stop talking and chatting we discover a beautiful thing: the Top there is a small stone man, and also a compass rose. The little man we saw him, but no pink. We not arrived in Top! So it seems. We look at how dumbed down, while others depart. But it is only a moment's failings because we plant the ice axes in the ice, we hang our backpacks and upwards again. If before we were going strong, now we run. We pass in a moment the same, ranging upwards with the pace of the Guides, and then we come to the crevasse where the first that come down. They too have arrived where we had arrived us. Ie in Top, they say. We look back in a strange way. What to do? Simple return upward to control. In the fog that does not want to stop obscuring everything. At 8:30 am, after a small traverse to the left and passed a short icy slope, we are on the Summit. That "True". The other, where we arrived, there is always four steps. Not one more. Then the fog drops again obscuring everything. Almost hear that she grins behind us. Jan gets some photos (I do not know to this day who, what and where), then we go down fast because at 12.00 there the inauguration of Spataro. Skiing with the feet and even with the lower back at 9.20 we reach them. When in August of 1975 I returned to the Gelé, in your opinion, what have I met?
I'll tell you. The Fog, even more dense ...



"But that Mountain is?", by marco979


Quella volta, il 30 Luglio 1967 (avevo 18 anni), eravamo al Bivacco Franco Spataro per farne l'inaugurazione con il C.A.I. di Aosta. Lo stesso aveva (l'hanno da poco tempo asportato) 9 posti nei letti a castello. Noi dormimmo in 24. Io ero l'esterno dei tre e ci eravamo "assicurati" legandoci con le corde, come in un vero bivacco in parete. Per non precipitare durante la notte. Gli altri giù sul crudo tavolato. Chi non resisteva, fuori a terra col sacco a pelo. Una notte drammatica, contando i minuti in attesa dell'alba. Sarò caduto dieci volte (ero nel piano alto), ma le corde m'avevan sempre trattenuto evitando di precipitare su quelli in basso. Una Tregenda. E l'Alba arrivò con tutti che fremevano per partire. Al Mont Gelé. Un leggero nevischio, fuori stagione, cade in modo discontinuo imbiancando tutto quando partiamo alle ore 5.10 di un alba che promette poco di buono. Sotto il Colle di Crete Sèche all'inizio del ghiacciaio ci leghiamo. Con Gianni Junod e Giovanni Quaccia. Quest'ultimo si slega quasi subito dicendo che vado troppo veloce. Gianni fà la stessa cosa al Col du Mont Gelé, con la medesima motivazione. Che fare? Mi lego con Jan Westenbroeck un biondone olandese che da anni arriva dall'Olanda per passare un mese con gli amici del C.A.I. di Aosta. Jan và ch'é 'na meraviglia e sul filo della Cresta Sud raggiungiamo il Mont de la Balme (3347 m), mentre gli altri salgono sotto sul Ghiacciaio del Mont Gelè per la Via Normale. Poi scendiamo ad un colle e nella nebbia, che diventa sempre più spessa, proseguiamo sulla Cresta Sudest (ma allora non sapevamo che fosse tale) non vedendo più niente e nessuno. Solo le voci ed il grattare di piccozze e ramponi al di sotto ci fan capire che anche gli altri stan salendo. Passando dei tratti non facili e muovendoci quasi sempre simultaneamente alle 7.30 siamo presso l'ometto in pietra della Sommità.




"Uhmmm, qui inizia a romper le scatole .../Hmmm, here begins to bother ...", by Marco Cossard "Crevassino"


La nebbia infernale non ci ha fatto vedere nulla, neppur la grande esposizione sulla Parete Est. Per tutta la salita possiam aver avuto sotto ai piedi dieci, cento o mille metri, ma non fà alcuna differenza poiché non ci accorgiamo proprio di niente. Tutto é ovattato e sembra precipitare dabbasso. Quando per un attimo le nebbie si squarciano possiamo vedere il grande abisso verso la Svizzera. Ma se é rivolto ad Est o a Nord non lo sappiamo. Poi tutto si chiude di nuovo. Repentinamente. Scendiamo d'una cinquantina di metri per mangiare. Quando stiamo per finire sentiamo le voci degli altri che arrivano. Non hanno delle belle facce. Giù a velocità supersonica. Al colle troviamo una cordata che sale dal versante di Ollomont e Jan conosce uno di loro. Il Mondo é proprio piccolo! Ci fermiamo a chiacchierare e chiacchierando scopriamo 'na bella cosa: sulla punta esiste un'ometto ed anche una rosa dei venti. L'ometto l'abbiam visto, la rosa no. Non siamo arrivati in Cima! Così par. Ci guardiamo come instupiditi, mentre gli altri partono. Ma é solo un attimo di défaillance perché piantiam le piccozze nel ghiaccio, appendiamo i nostri zaini e sù di nuovo. Se prima andavam forte, adesso corriamo. Sorpassiamo in un attimo gli stessi, che van sù col passo delle Guide, e poi arriviamo alla crepaccia terminale dove giungono i primi che scendono. Anche lor son arrivati dove eravam arrivati noi. Cioé in Cima, dicon loro. Ci guardiamo di nuovo in modo strano. Che cosa fare? Semplice tornare sù a controllare. Nella nebbia che non vuole smettere di oscurare tutto. Alle ore 8.30, dopo una piccola traversata a sinistra e superato un corto pendio ghiacciato, siamo sulla Sommità. Quella "Vera". L'altra, dove eravamo arrivati, è sempre lì a quattro passi. Non uno di più. Poi la Nebbia cala di nuovo chiudendo tutto. Sembra quasi sentirla sghignazzar alle nostre spalle. Jan fà qualche foto di qua e di là (non sò ancor oggi a chi, a che cosa e dove), poi rapidi scendiamo, perché alle 12.00 c'é l'inaugurazione del Bivacco Spataro. Sciando coi piedi ed anche col fondo schiena alle ore 9.20 lo raggiungiamo. Quando nell'Agosto del 1975 son tornato al Gelè, secondo voi, cos'ho incontrato?
Ve lo dico io. La Nebbia, ancor più fitta ...



"Soon the fog envelop the Gelé", by p-mike


Comments

No comments posted yet.