Viewing: 1-8 of 8
maddie77777

maddie77777 - Feb 17, 2009 12:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice story

I'm glad you guys have rekindled the spark begun many years earlier. I'm sure this makes you so happy to be able to meet up with him and hike.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Feb 18, 2009 6:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice story

Thanks, and yes I am looking forward to taking Andrew to the Smokies again. He is really looking forward to the Colorado trip. We'll see if he still feels so positive after he experiences my insane list of hikes I hope to get to.

Happy Trails,
Mark

SOCALHUSKER

SOCALHUSKER - Feb 19, 2009 2:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Great story

I just had a little girl and have been thinking about how I will go about introducing her to the great outdoors. Hopefully I can snag her early. My dad got me going at an early age with trips into the Sierra's and now I try to climb all the time. I still enjoy hitting the trail with my dad and am thankful he got me interested because it's somethign we'll be able to do together for a long time. Thanks for sharing.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Feb 20, 2009 11:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great story

As I stated in the TR, the people I have met that have been successful getting their kids interested, started early. Sounds like your story as well.

You are quite correct about being able to enjoy hiking with your dad for quite a few years. I know I plan to be hiking well into old age (whatever that is) and hopefully my son will still be joining me.

Thanks for visiting,
Mark

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 19, 2009 9:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for sharing, Mark

I hope it will be this way when my kids are teens. My oldest is 4, and he likes going hiking, and he loves climbing around on the rocks. I try to take him out each weekend.

Recently, we left home around 8 p.m., drove the 2 hours to Shenandoah, slept in the car (he loved that) and went hiking in the morning. He had a great time and has asked to do it again.

The key for me will be not to push. I'll keep your story in mind as an example of wise words on this matter.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Feb 20, 2009 12:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for sharing, Mark

The subject of getting our children interested in hiking at an early age appears to be near and dear to the hearts of several active members of SP - based upon some of the info on SP I have read through. Sounds like you are as well and that it is all positive. Hope it stays that way for you.

I tried to focus on the teenager theme, because of how challenging a time this can be from a parenting standpoint (considering you are a school teacher I'm sure you know this all too well). I don't mean this in a negative way, but the teenage years bring out new and different challenges - and if they aren't already interested in hiking/camping, trying to introduce them to it in the high school years may require a different approach than when they are 4 years old.

It's awesome that your son loves car camping already!

Regards,
Mark

mahony - Mar 18, 2010 7:34 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks for the tips

Headed to GSMNP for a week or so with my 8 and 9 y.o.'s, and need to remember that they won't want to do the 74 mile AT death march. Sounds like Mt. Leconte is a good one for them...I have to remember to focus on the camping rather than the hiking (like you did).

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Mar 19, 2010 4:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for the tips

It sure can be a tough balance when you want to hike (a lot) and your kids don't necessarily want to. Good luck on your trip, and enjoy LeConte.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Getting My Teenage Son to Enjoy Hiking' main page