Viewing: 1-6 of 6
rasgoat

rasgoat - Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm - Voted 10/10

nice

Good report and pics!

I love the challenge of winter camping. I am always revising my technique and finding out what gear works best. One of my favorite winter camping purchases was my Scarpa Inverno plastic boots, they are Soooo toasty and you can wear the insides in the tent and even in your sleeping bag. In the morning they slip on nice and toasty is you keep them in the tent with you.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jan 15, 2011 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice

That is a really neat idea! I should try to get a pair of boots like that some day. I had to wonder how those guys who climb up 20,000 foot peaks and camped very high managed to keep there feet from freezing. Thanks for the advice. Cheers Josh Lewis.

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Jan 13, 2011 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Cold, frozen boots

The first time I winter camped I left my boots outside... was nearly in tears the next morning after I put them on. Now I always clean as much snow off them as possible at night (usually scraping with my spoon and brushing with a glove). I then put the boots in my sleeping bag stuff sack and shove it to the bottom of my sleeping bag. Its a somewhat tedious and annoying process but it works and I've been doing it for quite a while now.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jan 15, 2011 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cold, frozen boots

Michael was against the idea of putting them in the tent because they had snow all over them which was frozen to them. I had no snow in them before the night but it was the next morning when they were on the outside is when snow came into them. Next time I think I'll have to have them inside.

Chenviro55! - Mar 26, 2013 8:54 am - Hasn't voted

Stetattle Ridge -- possible to descend to Big Beaver Trail??

Great trip report! Looks beautiful! I have pretty much given up on winter camping (too much time staying warm!) but your pics may change my mind again.

BTW, I have a question for Josh and others here. I'm putting together plans for a SUMMER trip to S Ridge, and am wondering if it's possible to descend from the Stetattle - Elephant Butte col to the bottom of McMillan Creek and then on to BB Trail. Has anyone done this? Is the descent possible? And what about the McMillan and BB valleys? Passible? I know that Beckey recommends against McMillan Creek as an access route to the Pickets, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use just the last mile of it or so to get back to BB and link up to the trail there.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Mar 27, 2013 2:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Stetattle Ridge -- possible to descend to Big Beaver Trail??

Personally I think it's a bad idea. I don't know all the details about bush whacking in that particular zone, but it can get pretty bad in the Pickets. Keep in mind even if it is do able, it will be more distance than the Big Beaver access port. This route saves money by not taking a boat, but if you want to save money take the route that goes from Ross Dam. Unless of course your looking for adventure. Ask around on Nwhikers, Cascade Climbers, or the SP forums if your heart is set on doing this route.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Glorious Adventure on Stetattle Ridge' main page