Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M. - Nov 13, 2013 4:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Great report!

Your photos get better and better. Imagine how beautiful the views would be if you do this traverse in winter?! Has it seen many winter ascents?

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Nov 14, 2013 8:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great report!

Thanks Vitaliy. Keep in mind that some of these photos were taken by Mark Straub. The photos that he took have a (Mark) at the end. But I am trying to improve my photography technique and be very selective about my photos while still attempting to keep up with the quantity I used to use. I wanted to take more on the route itself, but we had to make good time and some spots were difficult to take them at. We both were using SLR sized cameras for all these pictures. A point and shoot would have made it a lot easier.

From what I've heard this route has not been done in winter. It would be a huge under taking at the least from what I understand. John Scurlock has taken a lot of nice winter shots of the Traverse during Winter. The West Ridge (top of the photo) has quite a few flutings during winter. It would be stunning at the very least. To see it up close myself in winter would be fantastic.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Nov 13, 2013 5:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

Pretty amazing for a kid with Asperger's! ;^)

Check grammar though -- "since I seen"!

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Nov 14, 2013 8:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Thanks MoapaPK. All these years I refused to believe that I should give up going for my dreams of being a mountaineer just because of some conditions that I have. Yeah it had some rough edges and hard times, but I believe you don't have to be "born to be a mountaineer". Some are made. ;-) I am thankful I had a little help along the way too.

I changed "since I seen" to "since I've seen".

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis - Nov 13, 2013 11:15 pm - Voted 9/10

Satisfied for a week?

Hell! I'd be satisfied for a lifetime! I struggle to comprehend that you do this regularly.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Nov 14, 2013 8:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Satisfied for a week?

When given the opportunity for another great climb, I was satisfied until the next climb. So this could mean that the satisfaction could have lasted longer than a week. But Jburg satisfied for a long time! What a beast that thing is.

nickmech

nickmech - Nov 14, 2013 1:13 am - Hasn't voted

epic?

Nice job. Why do you call all your climbs epic?

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Nov 14, 2013 7:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: epic?

In the heat of the moment when getting off of a mountain one says things that might be a little more intense than they actually were. At the end of the report I was quoting myself. It may not have been classified as an "epic" but it was certainly a toughy. Johannesburg however was actually an epic. According to Wikipedia an epic is "In climbing, an ordinary climb rendered difficult by adverse factors". That was certainly the case with Jburg.

Cissa

Cissa - Nov 14, 2013 6:09 am - Voted 10/10

Congrats!

Awesome report, amazing pictures.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Nov 14, 2013 8:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats!

Thanks Cissa. The North Cascades usually don't disappoint me. ;-)

GlacierCountry

GlacierCountry - Nov 14, 2013 10:02 am - Voted 10/10

Sweet!

That looks like a pretty sick trip. If I ever get out of my comfort zone in Glacier Park I would love to do a trip like that. Nice job on the success and thanks for sharing the great report.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Nov 14, 2013 8:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sweet!

Thanks GC. I ought to re-visit Glacier National Park. Last time I was there, I was only a hiker. There are plenty of awesome climbs in the area. If you need a partner, you know who to call.

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash - Nov 14, 2013 11:07 am - Voted 10/10

Amazing pictures

Really looks like something out of National Geographic.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Nov 14, 2013 10:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing pictures

Thanks Snidely. Climbs like these have recently convinced me that I need to create a online magazine dedicated to awesome ascents. Not just rock climbers, or ice, but various alpine achievements including first ascents. Years ago when I was a kid, I was flipping through a national geographic book and saw a climber on the hanging glacier of Johannesburg. I thought to myself "that looks pretty rad". Now that I'm older I hope to bring on the table some of the things that I've seen. There were awesome scenes on the traverse that were for our eyes only.

mfox79

mfox79 - Nov 15, 2013 8:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks!

That looked like one hell of a journey. Thanks for the write up

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Nov 17, 2013 6:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome peaks

Thank you for the great trip report. I have never been to the Cascades and your report makes me want to go even more. What a great adventure you had and your photos are world class. I look foward to seeing more of your climbs.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Going for the Gusto: A Two Day Climb on the Torment Forbidden Traverse' main page