Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Apr 7, 2020 11:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Fine

A very complete page. I like the geology chapter. It's interesting how rocks with the same origin are different on different locations. In our mountains Wetterstein limestone is not very good for climbing. It's mixed with dolomite and has rich deposits of led and zinc. In Italian Alps Hauptdolomit is fine for climbing, elsewhere it's not. And it's interesting that on Heuberg there's also Cretacious limestone. In Slovenia it's almost only in Dinarides and on the karst, near the coast.

Cheers!
Vid

selinunte01

selinunte01 - Apr 9, 2020 6:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fine

Thank you Vid. Hope you are doing well in those troubled times. We in Bavaria actually cannot go mountaineering, its forbidden to drive too far away from our home .... Hoping for month of may...
Cretacious deposits are rare in our eastern Alps, much more common in the western Alps. Victims of early erosion .... Its funny how quality of limestone rock can change. Our Wettersteinkalk, too, had ore deposits; there was medieval and post-medieval mining near Garmisch-Partenkirchen; the so-called Knappenhäuser give testimony of it. Today all lead and silver and copper is gone ... Cheers Michael

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Apr 9, 2020 12:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Fine

Hi Michael,

With my Jasmina we are ok. A bit worried, because her parents are 98 and 92 and my mother is also 93. We have restrictions in Slovenia as well. They are all very much in place and quite successful, only the prohibition to leave the community where you live is not really a smart one. Kranj town where I live has quite a big community, so I can go running, biking, could even climb Storzic, 3132 m. But it's boring going always on the same places.

Stay healthy!
Vid

selinunte01

selinunte01 - Apr 10, 2020 7:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fine

At least you can go climbing. Munich is too far away from the mountains and the hiker parking areas have been closed. On clear days I can see Karwendel ranges and Zugspitze from my balcony and its agonizing to know that I cannot go out for hiking. Such a fine weather we have and all we can do is go biking or make walks in the woods south of the city.
But we all are still healthy and time will see us back in the mountains .... even when the borders will be closed to us this year there are many mountains to climb in Germany and to share in SP!
Cheers Michael

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Heuberg (Inntal)' main page