Highline Trail scenery

Highline Trail scenery

Central Arizona's Highline Trail provides 51 miles of spectacular views. This historic trail was established in the late 1800s to link various homesteads and ranches under the Mogollon Rim, a geographical landform that deliniates the southernmost edge of the Colorado Plateau. Western writer Zane Grey built a cabin here in the 1920s. It was designated a National Recreation Trail in 1979. Trails from the Highline to the top of the Rim are generally steep, rocky and rugged, with elevations ranging from 5,000 to 8,000 feet. The Dude Fire of 1990 burned over 21 miles of the Highline and associated spur trails from Washington Park Trailhead to Hatchery Trailhead. There are 14 dependable water sources along the 51-mile length of the Highline Trail, listed from west to east: Red Rock Spring, Pine Creek, Webber Creek, Bray Creek, Chase Creek, East Verde River, Dude Creek, Bonita Creek, Perley Creek, Ellison Creek, Tonto Creek, Dick Williams Creek, Horton Spring and Christopher Creek. Photo was taken 1/2 mile west of the Hatchery Trailhead. The peak in the distance is Beaver Ridge Highpoint. The snow was rapidly melting, forming rivlets over the rocky landscape. (February 11, 2008)
lcarreau
on Feb 12, 2008 3:10 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Flora,  Informational,  Scenery
Image ID: 380504

Comments

No comments posted yet.