Illiniza Hut (Nuevos Horizontes)

Illiniza Hut (Nuevos Horizontes)

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 0.1°S / 79°W
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 15580 ft / 4749 m

Illiniza Hut - Refugio Nuevos Horizontes

After visiting the Illinizas a few times, I've decided to do something different - we split the hike to Illiniza Norte in two, and spent a night at the recently remodeled refuge.
The refuge sits at an altitude of about 4,750 m (15,580 ft), on the saddle between the two Illinizas.
In spite of fairly recent renovations, it is still really a very simple hut, but it does offer a few comfortable bunk beds, a kitchen area with a two large burners, pots, pans, and tableware.
The water supply comes from the mountain - and may slow to a trickle when temperatures are below freezing. Water needs to be thoroughly boiled before use. Toilets are located in the back - you need to go out of the hut in order to access them.
There is no electricity - bring your head lamps if you plan to spend the night.
Nights can be long and cold. During the night we spent there, the inside temperature dropped well below freezing - a sheet of ice covered the inside of all the windows as we woke up.
There's a gas heater - but of the kind that should be only used outdoors...
The charge for sleeping there is $15/person.