Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 25, 2009 10:37 am - Voted 10/10

Great place

I had the privilege of going to Scout camp here twice as a kid, and it is a place of many great memories. Thank you for sharing this, stirring those memories, and showing much more of the area.

silversummit

silversummit - Jul 25, 2009 11:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great place

Glad you enjoyed this! I have much more info on the area that I might put together for an area page after my trip out west in August. There is virtually nothing on SP!

Thank you looking and writing!

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jul 25, 2009 1:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Love it

Love the pictures and the narrative, very good stuff Kathy- keep it coming, we are greedy

silversummit

silversummit - Jul 25, 2009 2:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Love it

Thanks for your very kind words. I'll try to keep up with the hunger once in awhile!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jul 25, 2009 10:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Kathy ...

I'm getting forgetful in my old age. What kind of camera are you
using now ???

I'm on the verge of buying a new camera, and it will probably be
a canon. Looks like the photos you took are very clear and focused! !

Larry ... of AZ

silversummit

silversummit - Jul 25, 2009 11:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Kathy ...

I took all the posted pictures with a Canon G9 but it died suddenly right at camp July 9th. Really worked beautifully for me for 18+ months but was out of warranty and instead of buying another point and shoot I bought a DSLR, a Canon Rebel XSi and while I'm still overwhelmed with learning so much I already love it.

The Canon G series is very, very good especially outside in the daylight but as you see it's special modes work well at night etc. too! Happy camera shopping - read the reviews online!
Kathy

desainme

desainme - Jul 25, 2009 11:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Land a Goshen

I thought Land a Goshen was between the right coast and Europe

silversummit

silversummit - Jul 26, 2009 12:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Land a Goshen

Interesting......Don't know about that one!
Lots of Goshens in the world it seems!

I was writing about the Goshen camp in Virginia which is located near the ever so small town of Goshen in Rockingham County, Virginia.

And as it turns out by coincidence I actually live in a neighborhood marked on our county maps that is known as Goshen and my home is one road over from a Goshen Road.

Seems I was destined, some would say, to write about this place!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jul 26, 2009 8:51 am - Voted 10/10

All Over.

I've traveled all over my native southern Appalachians, but I've never been to that spot. Missed it, somehow. I hope its new status doesn't ruin it, but it sounds as if if will.

silversummit

silversummit - Jul 26, 2009 10:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: All Over.

Then definitely go soon! This spot is so unique with lots of history also.

Luckily, at the present time buses and large vehicles have to come in from the north and can't make the turns on Rt. 39 in Goshen Pass. Maybe that will protect some of the beauty of the region for awhile.

Thanks for reading about this special place.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jul 26, 2009 10:38 am - Voted 10/10

One final question ...

Kathy, what is that area in Virginia known for, in addition to
peace and tranquility?

Are there lots of tobacco crops? What about coal mines?

My ancestors worked in the coal mines of eastern Washington state.

How about caves - any caves in that area ???

silversummit

silversummit - Jul 26, 2009 11:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: One final question ...

No mines that I know of but Luray Caverns and many others etc. are nearby and several universities such as Washington and Lee, VMI, James Madison etc. are nearby.

Right in Goshen Pass there is a plaque and memorial to Commodore Matthew Fontaine Maury (1806-73), one of the fathers of oceanography, and later head of coast, harbor and river defenses for the Confederate navy. Since he loved the Goshen Pass so much he asked that his casket be carried down through the pass during the rhododendron's bloom which delayed his burial by three months. The local river was renamed in his honor.

I have mining too in my western Pennsylvania background!

gregorpatsch

gregorpatsch - Jul 26, 2009 9:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful Spot

I've enjoyed some fun climbing in Goshen Pass. Definitely a beautiful spot. Thanks for sharing.

silversummit

silversummit - Jul 26, 2009 10:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful Spot

Wow! You're the first person I've talked to who has climbed there! Did you go to W&L? Or were you just passin' through?

Glad you got to appreciate this place first hand.
Kathy

gregorpatsch

gregorpatsch - Jul 26, 2009 11:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Beautiful Spot

Actually, I did go to W&L for one year before transferring to UVA. Lived in California for a few years, now I'm back in Charlottesville.

dandrew

dandrew - Aug 2, 2009 4:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Goshen graduate

I enjoyed your article. I attended scout camp at Goshen's Camp Marriott over three summers. I love that part of Virginia and always look forward to returning when I can. There are so many great memories associated with my time there. Goshen Scout Camp inspired me to go on and do two Philmont treks. I'm also a proud graduate of Goshen Elementary School (Gaithersburg, MD).

silversummit

silversummit - Aug 2, 2009 8:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Goshen graduate

Thank you for your kind words!

It's great to hear from someone who knows Goshen (the camp) and Goshen ES. My son also graduated from Goshen ES so we must have lived near each other at some point. Lots of wonderful memories.....

Have you checked the Philmont page here on SP?

Glad you checked in!
Kathy

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Aug 13, 2009 10:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Some good news

I've hiked up in the southern part of the Blue Ridge and Massanutten Mountains near Harrisonburg, but I never even heard of Goshen until I read your article. It seems like a really wonderful and peaceful place.

I did a Google search on Goshen, and I found out that the Scouts don't plan to hold their 2013 Jamboree there. From the Roanoke Times:

Tuesday, August 04, 2009
Goshen ruled out as site of Boy Scout Jamboree

By Matt Chittum | The Roanoke Times

The Boy Scout Jamboree won’t be coming to Goshen Pass in Rockbridge County.

Jack Furst, a member of the Boy Scouts of America board who is heading the search for a new site for the annual gathering for over 200,000 scouts and volunteers, said Tuesday that the Goshen Scout Reservation was crossed off the list because of “a wide variety of issues.”

silversummit

silversummit - Aug 27, 2009 9:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Some good news

Sorry to take so long to respond; I left for a two week vacation right as you wrote.

Sounds like Goshen has received a break! I certainly hope so! Thanks for letting me know!!!

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Return to 'In the Land of Goshen' main page