Irish Cabin Peaks

Washington, United States, North America
Page Type Page Type: List
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Some Fall Color on Hessong Rock



The Irish Cabin Peaks, named for the Mountaineers owned Irish Cabin that was on Mowich Lake until 1978, are a group of smallers summits on the northern and western side of the dramatically larger Mount Rainier! There are 24 official mountains in this group, though there are many other summits in the general area that are not considered part of the group (ie. Martin, Berry, Howard Peaks). If you climb twelve of these summits you will earn a pin from the Mountaineers and then earn another pin from climbing the second twelve on the list.

Heesong from Pleasant


Though some of these peaks look intimidating from their base. Many of these peaks are often low grade scrambles (Class 2 or 3). All of the summits on the list offer excellent views of Mount Rainier from there summits and equally impressive views of each other.

Cloud lift for a bit


It should be noted that these summits are prone to bad weather. Because the Irish Cabin Peaks are located on the windward side of the Cascades and are on the western side of Mount Rainier they often receive very bad weather. Often these peaks are fogged over when the mountains to the east of them, the Crystal Mountain Region and the Naches Ranger District Peaks will not experience the same type of bad weather. If the forecasters are predicting bad weather in the region, assume they are right and plan your trip elsewhere among 6000 other summits in Washington State.

The true smmit from the lookout

List of Peaks

The following is table of the Irish Cabin Peaks.
Mountain Height
Observation Rock 8364
Echo Rock 7870
Old Desolate 7137
Sluiskin Mountain- The Chief 7026
Sluiskin Mountain- The Squaw 6960
Crecent Mountain 6715
Mineral Mountain 6500
Fay Peak 6492
First Mother Mountain 6480
Mount Pleasant 6454
Hessong Rock 6385
Second Mother Mountain 6375
Castle Peak 6120
Bearhead Mountain 6089
Bearhead Mountain-East Peak 6041
Tyee Peak 6000
Picture Mountain 5941
Tolmie Peak 5920
Third Mother Mountain 5804
Old Baldy Mountain 5796
Redstone Peak 5680
Florence Peak 5508
Arthur Peak 5465
Gove Peak 5310


Getting There

For the Carbon River District Entrance: NOTE RIGHT NOW THIS ROAD IS CLOSED TO VEHICLE TRAFFIC!! Take Route 165 South. It will soon intersect with Route 162. Continue on Route 165 south through the towns of Wilkeson and Carbonado. You then go over an older bridge ove the Carbon River. This bridge is beginning to look unsteady and would not be a good place to be during an earthquake. Roughly a half mile over the bridge you will run into an intersection with one road veering left and staying in the valley heading to the Carbon River District and another veering right heading to Mowich Lake. Take the road heading to the Carbon River District. Good roughly 5 miles to the gate of the Carbon River District Gate. There will be parking on your right and restrooms on your left.

VIA THE MOWICH LAKE AND TOLMIE PEAK TRAILHEAD (RECOMMENDED IN SUMMER. KEEP IN MIND THAT THE MOWICH LAKE ROAD IS CLOSED USUALLY TO AT LEAST MAY AND MANY TIMES MUCH LATER!!!!): Take Route 165 South. It will soon intersect with Route 162. Continue on Route 165 south through the towns of Wilkeson and Carbonado. You then go over an older bridge ove the Carbon River. This bridge is beginning to look unsteady and would not be a good place to be during an earthquake. Roughly a half mile over the bridge you will run into an intersection with one road veering right and head up Mowich Lake Road. You want to head up 17 miles up the road. You will run into the self pay area up at the Paul Peak Trailhead about 11 miles up the road. Don't forget to stop here because there are plenty of ranger at the Lake Mowich Campground and they will ticket you if you don't pay.

Red Tape

Many of the peaks will require a Mount Rainier National Park Pass is required at the trailhead. It is $15 for the day and $30 for the year.

Some of the others may require a Northwest Forest Pass which $5 for the day and $30 for the year

External Links

Here is a link to information about the Irish Cabin Peaks.

Here is a lists of pins you can earn not only from the Irish Cabin Peaks but of other lists in the region

Camping

Backcountry Permit Required for Camping while in Mount Rainier National Park. For more information please click here


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.