Josh Descends The Snow Crux

Josh Descends The Snow Crux

When we reached Pandora's Box (seen on the left side of this photo), our route towards Dragontail Peak initially seemed to abruptly end at a cliff. I convinced Gimpilator to check out the notch/ramp on Pandora's Box, from which he saw our only chance to continue... going down this steep 70-75 degree snow slope. We had no rope, but fortunately the snow conditions were perfect for this section. If the snow were icier or softer, we might have been in trouble. Fortunately, we were able to put in great kick-steps, hand-holds, and ice axe anchors along the entire crux section. We never needed to have our crampons on, either. Gimpilator went first, then I followed, and then Josh (seen in this photo). Josh had the misfortune of being the third person; some of the kick-steps and hand-holds were no longer strong after two people, so he occasionally had to improvise new steps and holds. If we had any more people with us, they might not have been so lucky. It was quite an accomplishment, for no rope or crampons used. With that said, we would not recommend other people to do this section in this manner. Dragontail Peak was to become the second mountain we would summit in the Enchantments during a two-day span. Photo taken on June 11, 2011.
Redwic
on Jun 13, 2011 4:39 pm
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing,  Hiking
Image ID: 722100

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jun 13, 2011 6:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Great shot!

Redwic I appreciate you taking this photo of me, I'll admit I felt quite a bit of vertigo here. If the snow conditions were any worse here I would not have wanted to go down this slope, outside the photo below is even worse. But I do appreciate your encouragements as I was going down.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Jun 14, 2011 3:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow

I think this shot shows what we went through better than any I got. Great capture and great description.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2