Kulshan Cabin Comments

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
ExcitableBoy

ExcitableBoy - Feb 25, 2012 8:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Nice little article. Mt Baker was the first 'big' mountain I climbed back in the early 90s. The cabin was long gone by then, and I always wondered what happened to it. BTW, John Miles was Dean at Huxley College when I went to grad school there.

Norman

Norman - Feb 25, 2012 8:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Cabin

I spent a lot of time tracking down details about this Cabin to get it right. I hope some others find time to document their history with the Cabin. There must be some others around. Glad you enjoyed it. Take care.

nickmech

nickmech - Feb 26, 2012 12:31 am - Hasn't voted

Cabin

Good history lesson Norman. I like the inside photo of all those purty girl climbers eating dinner.

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash - Feb 26, 2012 12:32 pm - Voted 10/10

They had color in 1968?

Nice historic photos and research. I can testify to the fact that the cabin was still there in May of 1985 when I climbed Baker.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Feb 26, 2012 4:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting stuff.

Sometimes it's sad to see the old club cabins vanishing. But those were different times with different expectations from the folk who wanted to access the wilderness.

Norman

Norman - Feb 26, 2012 10:50 pm - Hasn't voted

history

There were cars with rubber tires back then too...color film, crampons and TV? Who would have guessed? Didn't they go to the moon to? Times are different, but fun to reflect once in a while.

asmrz

asmrz - Mar 1, 2012 6:53 pm - Voted 10/10

The cabin was there in 82

I was on Baker twice in the same year, (I think) in 1982. The cabin was still there.

This article brought back some wonderful memories of the mountain, the Coleman Headwall and earlier in the year, a head first dive into a crevasse while leading party through the glacier and breaking through a bridge. I tested the guy I was tied to, and he passed the test! Adrenalin rush for sure...Thanks for posting, very nice.

BTW I have almost identical photo (like your first one in this article) of our tent, on the flat area beside the cabin, except, totally soaked with rain...

Norman

Norman - Mar 2, 2012 5:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Cabin

I hope you and others with pics of the Cabin will post them here. I am sure there are more out there!!!

PghSkier

PghSkier - Jun 9, 2020 1:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Stayed overnight in the cabin - July 1981

Wow. Nice surprise finding your posts and pictures of Kulshan. These brought back great memories of hiking the mountain with my brother in 1981. My brother (from Puyallup) tells me the cabin was removed in the summer of 1986.

Norman

Norman - Jun 10, 2020 12:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Kulshan Cabin

Thank for post... I wish I could get some others to post pictures of the old cabin. If you or your brother have pics, it would be great. Thanks.

rich.perry@msn.com - Sep 25, 2023 8:35 am - Hasn't voted

Kulshan Cabin

Great article. Thanks Norman. I first stayed in Kulshan cabin during college in the early winter of 1966. A friend wanted to try digging a snow cave, so we drove up to where the snow was 6" deep and parked. Hiked in the snow up to the cabin and stayed overnight.then climbed higher to dig the cave. It snowed more and we could barely get our car out. I stayed again in June 1970 during an attempt to climb Baker. We left the cabin at 2am and submitted by 11. I'll see if I have any photos of the cabin.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11
Return to 'Kulshan Cabin' main page