Mexican Hat Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Scott

Scott - Mar 22, 2006 3:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Low vote explanation

Sorry to vote so low, but I can't vote higher unless you add climbing information.

This page seems to be about the town of Mexican Hat instead of the climb of Mexican Hat. It mentions the town and then has a few pictures of the tower. Climbing the tower isn't even mentioned. This is one of the most famous and fun rock climbs around, and it needs a route page, or at least a routes overview.

Since this is such a well known climb, I just can't see adding a page on it without any climbing information.

Mexican Hat is a tiny desert community of 80 or so people near the southeastern corner of Utah.

Mexican Hat Rock is the tower the town was named after.

This impressive site is worth to go and take a look at!

Look at? What about climbing it?


Once again, I'm sorry to vote so low. This is just not enough info to be of use for the climbs of the tower. If you climbed the tower, or at least know someone who has, please post some info, and I will be happy to raise my vote. I just can't see the page of having any use until the climbing info is submitted.

nartreb

nartreb - Mar 22, 2006 3:43 pm - Voted 9/10

the rock, not the town...

...is the proper focus of this page. Rewrite your first paragraph, and try to devote at least as much space to the rock as you do to the town.
Here are some more precise coordinates: 37.1736°N, 109.8487°W (enter the longitude as a negative number). You need to be much more specific about how to get there - the town is about three miles from the rock - are those roads any good? Which side of the rock should you approach if you want the easy walk-up? Is there parking? Who owns the land?
This looks like an interesting place to rock climb, the page is just not complete without some description of rock-climbing routes.
One of the two big photos on the page is not about Mexican Hat but about Monument Valley. It's a fine photo, but it doesn't really belong on this page - certainly not when the page has so little to say about Mexican Hat Rock itself.
It's a start, but it needs some work.

brutus of wyde

brutus of wyde - Mar 22, 2006 9:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Routes

Unless someone has some good photos of the climbing on the Hat, it's not really worth putting up a separate route page at this point -- perhaps include these routes in "The Top":

The Hat has two routes: Royal Robbins established the first, rating it A2, although this route, with its thin nailing and bad fall potential, appears serious.

The other, the Bandito Route, is a 5 or 6-bolt ladder requiring either a shoulder-stand or a cheater stick to reach the first bolt. Some of the bolts are in quite poor shape.

A great, flat summit! We didn't want to spend too much time near the edge.

Some links:

http://images.climbingblackhills.com/v/utah/moab_area/valley_of_the_godsmexican_hat/105717295

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/utah/moab_area/valley_of_the_godsmexican_hat/105717316

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0402az/index4.htm

I'm sure you can find others.

Brutus



lcarreau

lcarreau - Apr 30, 2009 5:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Thanks

It's about the rock, not the town? The rock cannot serve you a
bottle of wine. : )))))

Nice page, Mister Lodewijk !!!

Lodewijk

Lodewijk - May 4, 2009 3:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks

You are totally right Larry!!
Thanks a lot! cheers, Lodewijk

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Mexican Hat' main page