Milchtrinker Icefall

Milchtrinker Icefall

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.94733°N / 12.05801°E
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: WI 3 / 3+
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Milchtrinker Icefall is one of the easier routes in the Ahrntal valley, located in South Tirol, Italy.
The ice quality in the route is different and the best time to climb is when its very cold, the Icefall is in southside direction and gets sunshine at midday.

Getting There

5 minutes to walk from Rein in Taufers, on the right valley side, close to a small park range.
The easier, first Fall is the right Milchtrinker Icefall 30m WI2, a good training area for placing screws and for Ice Beginners.
Milchtrinker Icefall

A few meters on the left is the Left Milchtrinker Icefall, 2 pitches with good stands.

Route Description

The first pitch is a WI3+ 30 meters in good ice conditions, when its not too warm and the sun does not shine on the Fall.
Milchtrinker Icefall

On the left side, in the rock wall is close to the first tree a stand with a steel chain and bolts.
Milchtrinker Icefall

The ideal place for a stand, or for a toprope installation.
For the second pitch, also 30 meters WI 3 the stand is on top of the routes on one of the trees, that offers also the good chance to rappel down again.
To rappel is the easiest and best way to descend.

Essential Gear

Full ice climbing equipment
ice tools,
crampons,
harness,
two 60 meter half ropes
helmet and of course some ice screws.

Avalanche gear is not essential

Links

The link to Rein in Taufers

http://www.hochgall.com/