Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.13280°N / 121.9276°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1440 ft / 439 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Olympic Mountain view from near the summit of Miniature Mountain
The Olympics from the south side of Miniature Mountain


Sometimes it is good to think small when going peak-bagging in a region. On days when the weather is bad or the avalanche danger is high it is good to think safe and small. So if you are thinking of small maybe you should think miniature as in Miniature Mountain. This avalanche safe road slog with a short bushwhack to the true summit, is ideal for peak-baggers either recovering from injuries, training for better hikes, or dodging the higher mountains due to dangerous conditions. For me it was a great summit to take BearQueen to so that she could get her first “unique” summit of 2014.

Miniature and Pilchuck
Miniature Mountain is in the foreground. Picture taken while heading to the summit of Siberia Mountain.


Miniature Mountain has a few surprises up its sleeve. The first is finding the absolutely true summit through the trees. It requires playing “Where is Waldo” similar to Siberia Mountain. A GPS may help finding the exactly coordinates of the summit. There is absolutely no view on the summit you must bushwhack from the fire road to the summit. The second is that just south of the true summit lays another fire road. It should be noted that this fire has two really decent opening with decent views off to the south. The eastern view is looking off to Mount Pilchuck while the view more to the west is off to the south toward Mount Rainier which is still very visible even from this distance, the skyline of Seattle and the towering Olympics off to the west. The road just to the south of the summit area can be most easily attained from the east edge of the summit ridge.

Mount Pilchuck from the south side of Miniature Mountain
Mount Pilchuck from near the summit of Miniature Mountain


This hike is relatively short from the starting point and will take a half or less from even less than in shape hikers in the region. It is also easy in the elevation gain department only rising 840 feet from the trailhead at the Mountain Loop Highway. With some ups and downs it has 900 feet of elevation gain making easy enough for hikers of many abilities.

View of Rainier through the trees
View of Mount Rainier through the trees.



Getting There

VIA THE START OF THE LOGGING ROAD: From Granite Falls take the Mountain Loop Highway four and a half miles until you see a sign saying "Masonic Family Park". Park in the gravel lot right to the side of the gate. Don't be fooled if it is open. These gates can close at anytime.

Route

Miniature Mountain can easily be reached by a set of logging roads. Once you get to the highest point of the last road bushwhack to the left roughly 50 feet to the true summit.

Miniature Mountain Route Map
This is the map of the route.

Red Tape

Only foot travel, horse travel and bikes allowed on the main dirt roads. No camping, fires or overnight parking is allowed.

When to Climb

This summit can be done at any time due to the low elevation and ease of most of the road-walk. One can potentially bike 95% up to the summit and potentially a lot of time. In winter even with snow this peak is doable.

Camping

This land is owned by a private logging company Longview Fibre. Therefore there is no camping allowed on Siberia Mountain.

External Links

Miniature Mountain Peakbagger Page

Trip Report from Redwic on Miniature Mountain

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.