Monte Carlo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: beginner
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the route I did as my first excursion so it is a good route for beginners.  We used this route to practice our lead climbing and rappelling.  There are a lot of other routes at the Riviera so you can do a myriad of routes with different difficulty levels.  This area always has people climbing, especially on the weekends.  So if you are a beginner, there will be other people there to help you out if you need it.  This wall is south-facing so lots of sunshine.  

Getting There

In Boulder, CO, drive West on Canyon.  When you cross the bridge over the creek (after it looks as though you have 'left town'), The Riviera is 7.1 miles down the road heading West.  You can park on either the left or right side.  the Riviera is on the right side (North side) of the road.  The trail to get to the Riviera is very steep and well worn.  Once you have parked, walk a little bit East on the road after you've parked and you will see the trail that takes you to the Riviera off the road on the North side of the road.  

Route Description

The first part is a little tough, but after that the route is fairly easy.  It has 4 bolts and a 2-bolt anchor.  It is a good route for beginners.  

Essential Gear

There are 4 bolts so take 6 quick draws.  The route is not tall so a 50 meter rope would do just fine.  Sling and carabiners for a 2-bolt anchor.  

External Links

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/the-riviera/105744599
Geography