Mount Baldwin Summit

Mount Baldwin Summit

Mount Baldwin's Summit seen just after topping out on a variant of the NE Ridge Route
sharperblue
on Jan 2, 2012 7:37 pm
Image Type(s): Rock Climbing,  Alpine Climbing
Image ID: 769010

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
lalamur

lalamur - Oct 26, 2012 2:10 pm - Voted 10/10

NE Ridge Route

Do you have any info on the NE Ridge Route?

sharperblue

sharperblue - Nov 5, 2012 6:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: NE Ridge Route

only that it's not hugely entertaining ;) It's start is difficult to locate with certainty based on the meager descriptions around, so we may have accidentally climbed a new line - perhaps a 5.4 move or two but mostly 4th class. There are very many possible ascent routes along that shoulder and face, many with extremely unstable rock (not loose blocks - I mean huge portions of the face and aretes ready to fall off) - tread with appropriate care..

midi510

midi510 - Sep 21, 2021 8:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: NE Ridge Route

I did it yesterday and thought it was pretty fun. Came up the NE couloir and exited Baldwin Canyon. I tended to stay to the right, on the ridge "proper" as much as there is one. Descended the diagonal dark "iron rock" dike like feature on the face. Had to descend a short corner and traverse some limestone face to get to the dike. I has considered this route on the ascent, but found the E ridge easy and secure. I wouldn't recommend my descent as the corner was 4th and easy 5th, but very exposed and the traverse was just as exposed with up to something like 5.6 face moves on the limestone, which had plenty of rotten flakes, but enough solid stuff to make it work.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3