Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.67960°N / 122.2229°W
Additional Information County: Lewis
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 4060 ft / 1237 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking at Mount Goodie and others
The summit of Mount Goodie is on the left. Seen from Sprialtop on 7/25/13. 


Want to find an easy to do yet obscure summit that contains great views of Mount Rainier. Well this Mount Goodie might just be the answer for you. This unofficially named summit located south of the small town of Mineral contains 680 feet of prominence as well as many good views of mountains of the surrounding area. This mountain should not be confused to the highly technical and rugged Mount Goode located in the North Cascades. The views are not a tenth as dramatic or amazing, though four of the five Washington major volcanoes (Baker, Rainier, Adams and St. Helens) were easily seen from different parts of the mountain along with a debated view of Glacier Peak. Though the views are not ultra dramatic they are very rewarding and worthwhile to all some to this special summit.

Mount Goodie 11/28/13
The legendary views of Mount Rainier


It should be noted that there is no complete panorama on this summit however there are a number of great viewpoints while heading up to the summit. Among the best views from this summit are to the western foothills, notably towards peaks called Ladd Peak and another called The Rockies. Once you a top switchback you have stunning views of Mount Rainier. The Mount Rainier views clearly are the highlight of the trip and you will probably will have a quarter of your pictures being pictures of Mount Rainier. Near the end of the road within a view feet of the summit lies excellent views of Mount Saint Helens. The best views of Mount Adams which can seen over Mount Storm King can be seen on the very true summit which overlooks a bushy cliff. 

Mount Goodie 11/28/13
Mount Saint Helens from Mount Goodie


Also unlike the northern Cascade classic Mount Goode, the trip up this Mount Goodie is just a easy four mile roundtrip and 900 foot elevation gain road walk to the summit. If you don't mind drive a little ways on a decent gravel road you find a hard to find overgrown roadwalk on your left. Though the travel is starting to become overgrown by slide alder as of 2013 this road is fairly easy to walk to the within feet of the true summit. The true summit is just literally a 30 foot bushwhack/ simple scramble from the logging road. Unfortunately we did not find a summit log on Mount Goodie.

Mount Goodie 11/28/13
Looking from a northern subpeak of Mount towards the true summit of Mount Goodie.


It should be noted that though the true summit of Mount Goodie is home to excellent so is two subpeaks on the northern ridge. In fact some would argue that these views are just as good if not better than the true summit. These summit are located right of the main logging road to the summit. The sub-peak which is closest to the true summit is home to 100 foot Class 2 scramble and bushwhack to that false summit which will give you close up views of the true summit of Mount Goodie. The sub-peak located just a couple hundred feet to the north gives great views towards an obscure tarn lake as well as the entire northern ridge of Mount Goodie along with Spiraltop. There is brief logging that leads within feet of this sub-peak and short scramble will lead you to these excellent views. Both of these sub-peaks also have amazing views of Mount Rainier.

Mount Goodie 11/28/13
Looking down the northern ridge of Mount Goodie toward Spiraltop. Notice how much taller Mount Goodie is compared to Sprialtop.

Getting There

FROM THE SEATTLE-TACOMA METRO AREA: From route 512 just west of Puyallup you want to take Route 7. Twenty miles down the road there is a detour which send you through the town of Eatonville. From there follow the detour all of the way to Lake Alder where you will pick back up Route 7 and take it to Elbe. From Elbe Washington take Route 7 South roughly five miles south. Take a right (west) onto Forest Road 74 and take that about two miles. Veer to the left on the first major logging pass. About a mile up you will want to veer left again. Continue up the road roughly 4 miles more all the way to a the beginning of the sharp turn at about 3245 of elevation. The poorly marked logging road trail will be on your left. It will look like it is full of slide alder but this is a false appearance because there is a path through it. There is a pullout just 50 feet to the north of the hard to notice road. You will know you went too far if you run into a well developed logging road roughly 300 feet to the south. Park along the side so that potential trucks can get through if needed.

Map of the Route and Road to the Trailhead 

Mount Goodie Map
Map of Mount Goodie. Note the map of the road to the trailhead along the winter and summer routes on the map. 

The route is very basic and fairly for even a novice to do during the summer. However it should be noted that basic route finding skills are needed for this mountain due to the fact that there are a logging roads on this mountain. Our group briefly had issues due to all of the confusing logging roads in the area. The route starts as an abandoned logging road. It quickly crosses a small creek via by going down and back up the banks of the creek. From there the abandoned trail/road then goes due east in the direction of Mount Goodie. Once it gets to the base of the peak the peak then rises at a gradual to moderate pitch up to the north for 3/4 of mile before switching back to the south to within feet of the true summit. To get to the actual true summit it will require a short 30 foot bushwhack/simple scramble to the summit. It should be noted that there are two notable subpeaks of Mount Goodie on the northern ridge of Mount Goodie. Each of these subpeaks roughly only have 100 feet or less of prominence but the views off the false summits are at least as good as the true summit if not better and both only require light bushwhacking or simple scrambling.

Mount Goodie 11/28/13
Josh Lewis and BearQueen heading up to the true summit of Mount Goodie.


Mount Goodie 11/28/13
Looking east toward the mountains to the west while going up Mount Goodie

 

Red Tape

There is no red tape on this trail at any time of the year.

When to Climb

Spring summer and fall is probably the best time to climb this mountain if you are looking for the least amount of effort. It should be noted though that though the trip will be much longer this mountain can be attempted in winter provided one can navigate through the somewhat confusing set of logging roads. The terrain is gentle enough for a long but very doable trip up to scenic summit of Mount Goodie. See the map for a possible winter route. 

Mount Goodie 11/28/13
Classic view of towering Mount Rainier, Mineral Lake and the town of Mineral from a subpeak of Mount Goodie.

Camping

When my party was up there we saw no signs preventing camping on the mountain. There were a number of nice potential spots higher up on the mountain including on the highest part of the road within a few feet of the summit. If I would stay overnight I would at this section.

External Links

SP Member's Eric Willhite Webpage on Mount Goodie

Mount Goodie List of John Page


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.