Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.95366°N / 123.08971°W
Additional Information County: Thurston
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1160 ft / 354 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Views through the trees
Views through the trees

Mount Molly, located southwest of the Olympia metro area in Washington is a peak that is seemingly growing in popularity in the last couple of years. To be honest I have never even heard of this peak until finding on Alltrails.com while looking for another hike near Mount Rose. But it is slowly developing into one of the highlights of the Capitol State Forest and the Black Hills of Washington State.  This hike is recommended to novice hikers, hikers with families and shameless peakbaggers. . Though all websites list this hike as 3 miles and 900 feet of elevation gain, if you hike the trail from the north it own 2 miles and maybe 500 feet of elevation gain. If you head up from the south that it will be 3 miles and 900 feet of elevation gain. 

Thick forest near the summit
Thick forest near the summit

The absolute summit does not have views but on the south side of the mountain lies clear views of Mount Rainier and Mount Saint Helens. The trails are a but confusing so please bring a map with you and pay close attention to the landscape when hiking to this summit. I have a couple stories about people missing this summit due to all of the confusing trails.
EastKing on the summit log
EastKing on the summit log

 

Directions

The north trailhead
The north trailhead


VIA MOUNT MOLLY FROM THE NORTH:
From the Black Lake Lane Exit off of Highway 101 head south for 4.3 miles (road will turn into 62nd lane). From there make a left on Delphi Road and go for 2.2 miles. Make a right onto Waddell Creek Road. Stay on the road as it turns into Sherman Creek Road and enters the Capital State Forest. Veer left on to C road and take it 1 mile to a left turnoff. Make a left and goes 500 feet and the Waddell Basin trail will be on your left hand.

VIA MOUNT MOLLY FR OM THE SOUTH: From the Black Lake Lane Exit off of Highway 101 head south for 4.3 miles (road will turn into 62nd lane). From there make a left on Delphi Road and go for 2.2 miles. Make a right onto Waddell Creek Road. When you see the turnoff to Sherman Creek road veer left and stay on Waddell Creek road. The trailhead will be on the right near the Middle Waddell Campground. 
 

Routes

Map of the Routes from the Northwest and the Southeast
Map of the Routes from the Northwest and the Southeast

From the Northwest:
Take the Waddell Basin Trail south for roughly 1 mile until you hit a road intersection. Take a left on the road and look immediately for a side trail to the right. You can also pickup the same trail from the if you continue straight and turn on the less used trail immediately to the left. This area is confusing so keep an eye on your geography. Take the trail all the up to near the the summit. Once near the summit there is a bootpath which will take you right to large cut stump. One would assume this is the summit and from all of my exploring this looks to be it.

From the Southeast: Take the Waddell Basin Trail from near the Middle Waddle Campground and take it north roughly 1.5 miles until you hit a road. From there make a right and look immediately for a side trail to the right. You can also pickup the same trail from the if you continue straight and turn on the less used trail immediately to the left. This area is confusing so keep an eye on your geography. Take the trail all the up to near the the summit. Once near the summit there is a bootpath which will take you right to large cut stump. One would assume this is the summit and from all of my exploring this looks to be it. 

Mount Rainier from Mount Molly
Mount Rainier from Mount Molly
 
For good views continue on the trail down the summit head southeast. There are views just down the slope but they are starting to fill in. In five years this will probably look very different.

Red Tape

Discovery Pass is Required to go anywhere in the Capitol State Forest. Make sure to purchase at an REI store or ranger station because there is no place to buy it on location.

Camping

There is a number of camping area located in Capital State Forest. The Middle Waddle Campground is located very close to the Waddell Basin Trailhead on the south side of the mountains. There is also more camping located Fall Creek Campground located further up the road from Mount Molly. For more information check out the the Capitol State Forest Page.

When to Climb

You can hike Mount Molly at any time. Chances are if there has not been snow in the lowlands than there is not snow on Mount Molly.

External Links