Mount Starr King ascent in 1877

Mount Starr King ascent in 1877

This image from the collection of stereoviews at the California State Library is mislabeled "Climbing the rope, up the South Dome", but actually shows one of the earliest ascents (and the first ascent by a woman) of Mount Starr King, on August 24, 1877. The image, taken by S. C. Walker, shows the southeast slope. Climbers are George Anderson (of the Half Dome fame), Augusta Sweetland (the future Mrs. Hutchings), and James Hutchings. The event was later described by Hutchings in his book In the Heart of the Sierras (1886). According to this source, Anderson and Hutchings "had attached ropes over difficult places a day earlier", which "enabled Mrs. Sweetland to ascent". But they were not the first people to reach the summit. "Two monuments erected gave evidence of someone having ascended this peak before us", Hutchings continues. Indeed, the first ascent, by George Bayley, Sidney Smith and Manuel Flores had occurred about a year earlier, in August 1876, followed by another ascent by Bayley, this time with James Schuyler in June 1877, see Earliest Ascents of Mt. Starr King.
xharv
on Oct 17, 2010 5:49 pm
Image Type(s): Rock Climbing
Image ID: 671521

Comments

No comments posted yet.