Mt Olympus/Mitikas

Mt Olympus/Mitikas

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.07022°N / 22.33558°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 14, 2015
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Mt Olympus 2015

This is my FIRST Trip report so try to cope with it! We were five guys from Finland and four from US coming from Kosovo to check out the Mt Olympus or Mt Mitikas as the locals call the highest peak there. We had an early morning drive from Pristina to Litochoro. After the long drive we had some swimming and taking it easy. Over night at Leptokarya by the beach close to Litochoro. The next morning we visited a lovely village called Panteleimonas - a village were cars were not allowed. Beautiful local shops and bars with a special atmosphere. - I recommend visiting this old fabulous village! 
At noon we drove to Litochoro and continued to Prionia were we left our small rental-Skoda after a flat tire on our way. 
Hiking to Refugee A, Spilios Agapitos at 2100 m´s took some three hours while taking it easy and enjoying the most spectacular views. There was a donkey caravan but honestly we did not use their services ;). Our own legs were just fine. Reaching Spilios Agapitos we experienced the great feeling that only the mountaineers can create. Having dinner (and some drinks..) and listening to other peoples experiences was good fun. Well, anyways early night and:
After a light breakfast at 0700 am the next Saturday morning we hit the road to Mt Mitikas. It was a long way there and back, but it went easily and pleasantly together with our Macedonian friends. To reach the Peak we had to take the path from the south side which was a bit heavy climbing along the rock walls without any security ropes etc. But we made it finally even the heaviest one. maybe I had to wait a while for my friends but having time with all the Germans and Greek people up there made it worth while. 
Descending from the west side was not recommended but according to my previous experience we did it. It was ok - actually there was still some snow on the trekking road. It took some 8 hours to get back to Prionia but it was worth it. Shower in the mountain fountain close to Prionia was freezing cold but was excellent for the recovery. A late lunch at Prionia was delicious. Thanks for it! And thanks to all the twelve Greek Gods for your hospitability up there - I think we met some of you..!


Comments

No comments posted yet.