My best Christmas Present

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 19.01640°N / 97.2667°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 27, 2007
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

A little brief about what I did before...

December 12, 2007



I left Guatemala with the other members of the team. In a gradual process of acclimitization, we climbed other volcanoes (in order) like Ajusco, Nevado de Toluca and Iztaccihuatl.

December 25, 2007



After some of our friends recover from drunksickness, it was time to head for Orizaba.

I'll never forget that night. We arrive to Orizaba's city at 07:00 pm. We where starving, and the nearest source of food was the local McDonald's.
There I met a really nice and beautiful girl, her name was Usy and immediately I realize that I was crushed by her. She gave me the best Christmas present I've ever received in my life.

That night, I couldn't sleep. I was so excited because by the morning I was going to see her before we headed for Piedra Grande Hut and also because I was about to climb the highest active volcano in North America. So I spent my time the rest of the night preparing my gear.

My first impression of Pico the Orizaba

December 26, 2007



I was the first one to wake up, because I only had a few hours to be with Usy, and I was planning to use them well.
Our leader only told me to be in time for when the transport we arrange came to take us to Piedra Grande.

So I spend my morning with Usy, and by 11:00 am. I was back at the house we were staying at. The truck came around 11:20 am. and we started our journey to Piedra Grande Hut, making only a short stop at a town named Coscomatepec for lunch.

We drove off, and a couple of miles before we get to Piedra Grande Hut, we made a stop to watch and drink some water from a little creek that comes from the base of Jamapa Glacier and passes over the "road".

We arrived to Piedra Grande Hut around 04:45 pm.
We spend the rest of the day meeting the other climbers in the hut, sharing experiences, drinking chocolate and preparing maccaroni and cheese.

The night sky was amazing!! Lots of stars and the reflect of moonlight over the glacier made it one of the best night sights I've ever seen.

Climbing the highest active volcano in North America

Guate SummitSummit Pic

December 27, 2007



We left the hut at 03:35 am and began to walk the trail following the aqueduct and then over the moraine. We reached the start of the glacier at 07:00 am and continue our climb. I was a bit worried about my friend Mashory, a 15 year old very strong girl, around 05:00 am she was complaining about feeling so much cold in her hands and feet, so she returned to the hut with our leader.

As I walked up the glacier, sometimes it felt like it was neverending. Finally, at 12:20 pm, my other 6 companions and me were enjoying the summit of the highest active volcano in North America, the third highest summit in North America, and the highest peak in Mexico!!!

The morning before, Usy gave me a little white teddy bear and I promised her that I was going to take it to the summit. Well, I did it baby! I love you!

After spending 20 minutes in the summit, we started to descend. We got back to the hut at 04:35 pm. I was a very challenging climb, but it worths the matter. I was very sad when I saw Mashory with tears in her eyes, I brought her a stone from the summit and promised her we'll return this year so she can reach the summit, and made her promise she'll return the stone I gave her.

After some cheers of the other climbers in the hut and drinking some hot chocolate, we were ready to return back to Orizaba's City, where that night I met Usy and our other great friend Fatima and my best friend J. C. went for some Tequila for the celebration!

From ice to sand...

CaguamasBeach Party Time!!!

December 28



I didn't sleep, because it was my last day in Orizaba, so I went to met with Usy for the last time and spent my last morning walking around Orizaba with her. A very, very beautiful city I hope to return soon!

At 10:00 am, we left heading for the beaches of Veracruz, and had some Caguamas for celebration!!!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Jan 18, 2009 2:03 am - Hasn't voted

Felicitaciones

Felicitaciones... Ya es hora que en Guatemala se sepa de que somos buenos para el montañismo y NO para el futbol o mejor dicho chamuscas chapinas.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1