Nera virgin forest & gorges

Nera virgin forest & gorges

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Overview

Both the Izvoarele Nerei Nera virgin forest Scientific Reserve and Cheile Nerei Nera gorges are located in the Southwestern Carpathians - the western part of Romania, called Banat region.





VIDEO by LukZem

Nera virgin forest

Situated in the Semenic Mountains, the Springs of Nera covering approximately 5 000 ha is one of the largest virgin forests in Europe. Being part of the Semenic – Cheile Carasului National Park, this primeval beech forest has a highly diversified structure along a 700 m altitudinal gradient. The largest trees reach diameters over 1 m and heights of about 50 meters. Impressive tree dimensions result in a standing volume of over 1200 cubic meters per hectare.
Colourful canopyColourful canopy
Poiana MarePoiana Mare
Crowns of beech treesCrowns of beech trees

Nera virgin forest was established in 1975 by the management plans, first as a „forest reserve“, and in 2000 came to the current status as a „scientific reserve“. All the site conditions are very favourable for the beech species, especially the climate, which can be considered as a „climatic climax“ situation for this species. This is the most plausible explanation for the monospecific composition of this almost pure beech forest.
Aureole of the virgin forestAureole

Nera gorges

At the point where Nera river enters Anina Mountains, the water flow has carved out a breathtaking landscape, whose most attractive part is the Canyon of the Nera river. The Nera gorges can be crossed along the red striped hiking trail, which is about 25 km long or for those who are fond of water by rafts. Located off the main hiking trail, the Devil´s lake is a unique karst phenomenon. The geological substratum consists of karst phenomena, giving this region a very picturesque look.
Poiana MeliuguluiEntrance
Devil s tarnDevil's lake
Wild beautyBeauty

The path in some parts is cut into the rock passing through terraces and two tunnels dug by man, entering a wide riverside coppice, following a large fairy meanders of the Nera river. The vertical walls falling down to the river of this very wild rocky canyon are sporadically 400 meters high.
La CârligeTerrace at the hooks
TunnelsTunnels
Limestone paradiseVertical walls

For their beauty of limestone cliffs, high scientific value, unique karst formations, colourful forests and many species of great importance, Nera gorges can be considered as an intact corner of a virgin nature and a superb destination for adventurers, because of its isolated, authentic and dramatic wild landscapes.
Nera gorgesThe canyon of the Nera river



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
kuzma

kuzma - May 28, 2016 5:01 am - Voted 10/10

nera

Lukáši,to je fakt paráda.Byl jsem v banátských horách a na Neře před více než 20 lety a zase mě to navnadilo

LukZem

LukZem - May 31, 2016 12:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nera

tak to jsi mne velmi potěšil...byla to jedna z nezapomenutelných karpatských výprav. Podařilo se Ti projít celý prales?

kuzma

kuzma - May 31, 2016 12:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: nera

já tenkrát neměl ani mapu a nevěděl jsem,jak je ten prales rozlehlý.Potuloval jsem se kolem Nery,potkal speleogy a vlezl s nima do 2 jeskyní v Semenicu a náhodně se přifařil na 2 denní raft s místními alkoholiky-ale supr.A český vesnice tam,to je kapitola sama pro sebe

Viewing: 1-3 of 3