Camp Nano 23

 

Camp Nano 23
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Camp Nano 23
Manufacturer C.A.M.P.
Page By
Page Type Nov 25, 2008 / Nov 25, 2008
Object ID 5747
Hits 4135
Vote

The lightest carabiner in the world

This is from the manufacturer's web site:

The lightest carabiner in the world at just 23 grams (0.8 oz)! Even lighter than our award-winning one-ounce Nano Wire but with the same dimensions and gate opening. Available in polished, bronze and orange.


My personal experience

After being tired of feeling lopsided for carrying all my draws on the right side of my harness, I decided it was time to upgrade to something lighter. I looked at a lot of biners and slings before deciding for the Nano. I owned a pair of the old Nano wire and I really liked them, so I bought a pair of the new Nano 23 to experiment before replacing the whole rack. Although they are not full size they do fit well in my hands and I have had no problems in clipping both single and double ropes. The gate opening is sufficient for a one hand operation with either ropes. I have not used the Nano 23 on any alpine climb yet so I still don't know if clipping with gloves will be an issue.

The store clerk where I purchased them told me he would never climb on something that small and that ONLY rates at 20Kn. He probably doesn't know that a human body is not capable to survive anything above 10/11 Kn, so I could care less if the biner breaks after I'm dead.

I am glad that I have now replaced the whole rack with the Nanos and the Wild Country 8mm x 24" slings, I carry up to 14 draws on my side and I don't feel I even have them with me. I strongly recommend the Nano 23, don't let its size fool you, you will be glad to upgrade to them.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

FabienenCordoba - Jan 21, 2009 1:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Very useful
Light and functional. I use them for alpine or whenever I need to go light (air travel).
I use them in conjunction with long slings and tey work well enough for me with gloves on. The color dissapears fast but that doesn't really matter does it!?

Tsuyoshi - Feb 23, 2009 4:38 am - Hasn't voted

who would have guessed... SUEPR LIGHT!
like FabienenCordoba said, light and functional. sure, their gate is really small so clipping fat ropes could be annoying. if this is a problem for you then save yourself the trouble and don't buy them or climb on smaller ropes. to get the lightweight, camp has sacrificed some "comforts" most carabiners came with... larger gates, easier handeling etc. but just like frameless backpacks, once you learn how to use them, they become very useful.

i've started buying nano 23s but still enjoy using mammut moses carabiners for most of my rack.

mattsim - Mar 15, 2010 6:48 pm - Hasn't voted

great little biners
REI had these on sale for $5, so I cleaned them out. Then I ordered a dozen more.

I use them on my trad rack, where nearly every piece of pro gets a biner. Because these biners are really small, I don't use them for the rope end. Each dyneema sling has a larger biner (Mad Rock Ultralight) already on it for the rope.

Placing pro is quick and easy: unclip piece(s) from rack and make placement, clip a sling into the Nano 23 that is still attached to the pro, and then clip the rope through the M.R. biner that is already on the sling.

Putting the rack back together is similarly easy. Grab each nano 23, unclip it from the sling and clip it back onto the rack. Toss the slings back over my shoulder and I'm ready to go.

I also use them for racking gear on my harness. Any piece that will likely need a biner to be used with it gets its own. Except runners, which get a M.R. Ultralight or Wild Country Helium).

Viewing: 1-3 of 3