Red Rocks

 

Red Rocks
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Red Rocks
Manufacturer Jerry Handren
Page By Dow Williams
Page Type Jan 31, 2008 / Jan 31, 2008
Object ID 4709
Hits 4358
Vote

Red Rocks Guide Book

This guidebook documents the rock climbs found in the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation area, 20 miles west of the Las Vegas strip. It includes a substantial number of routes not found in previous guidebooks. It also expands on the descriptions of many of the older routes and attempts to correct some lingering errors. In compiling the route descriptions for both new and older climbs, I have tried to use recent, first-hand experience as much as possible. Many descriptions were culled from various Red Rocks locals within a few hours of an ascent. Also, in researching this book, I climbed hundreds of routes myself in an attempt to make this the most complete, detailed, and accurate Red Rocks guidebook to date.

To give a flavour of the short but lively history of Red Rock Canyon I have included an historical essay in the introductory section, written with Larry DeAngelo, the unofficial historian of Red Rocks. There are also several articles spread throughout the main text, written by some of the main protagonists. If the routes in the photographs throughout this book seem unfamiliar, that’s because I have made a deliberate attempt to shoot new and/or obscure routes

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Dow Williams - Jan 31, 2008 12:52 pm - Voted 5/5

by far the best...
Red Rocks guide book....big fan of Chris's Super Topo of course, saves on trees big time, but he only showcases a few classics. The only other book I owned was the Falcon Guide and it is quite outdated. I picked up the "red" one and thought it was a joke. I read several descriptions of routes I had done and thought the beta was poor not to mention no topos that were not already found in the sources I had. Jerry did his in the same style that Todd Goss did the southwest Utah book. Very well done, best topos I have seen to date. Discusses sun/shade, etc. and includes the routes that were missing in my current collection of beta. A must have if you are going to spend much time at Red Rocks.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1