Viewing: 1-2 of 2

strat1080 - Aug 6, 2008 10:18 pm - Hasn't voted

13 degrees at 7800 feet in June?

I'm having a hard time believing that this is possible. If you use the general calculation of 3-5 degrees of temperature loss for every 1,000 feet even at its most extreme would imply a temperature of below freezing at an altitude similar to Denver on that particular day which simply isn't going to happen in June. Are you sure of the temp measurement or the altitude? I could certainly see this at a higher altitude but 7800 feet just isn't that high. ude? I could certainly see this at a higher altitude but 7800 feet just isn't that high. Maybe it was a cold spell during the first week of June.

Scott

Scott - Aug 7, 2008 10:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 13 degrees at 7800 feet in June?

If you use the general calculation of 3-5 degrees of temperature loss for every 1,000 feet even at its most extreme would imply a temperature of below freezing at an altitude similar to Denver on that particular day which simply isn't going to happen in June.

Thanks for asking. Interesting that you mention the above since it was when Denver was below freezing (one day later). Here is the news story on the cold snap:

News story on the cold snap

Anyway the closest weather station to where I took the 13F degree reading was Marvine Ranch also at 7800 feet elevation. The average low temperature there in June is 33F. See here:

Marvine Ranch

The average low in Denver during June is 53F:

Denver

Keep in mind that since Denver was actually 22 degrees below normal during that same time period and that my measurement was 20 degrees below normal for the nearest weather station. My reading seems to fit perfectly since my reading was actually less below normal than the Denver reading. Unfortunately, the Marvine Ranch station stopped operating in 1998 so we can't compare the same day, but the averages are still available.

Are you sure of the temp measurement or the altitude?

Yes, it was recorded with an Accurite Digital High/Low Recording Thermometer accurate to 0.1 degrees. It was recorded on a clear night just after a snowstorm.

I could certainly see this at a higher altitude but 7800 feet just isn't that high.

Although mountain tops have lower average temperatures, it is usually the valleys that actually record the extremes, especially in this region. For example, Maybell, NW of the Flat Tops sits at only 5920 feet elevation. It also has the all time record low in the state which was recorded on Feb 1 1985. On that day Maybell was -61F! See here for confirmation:

each States Record Low

Anyway, Maybell is only 5920 feet elevation, 640 feet higher than Denver. Denver had a low of -10F that same day, so was 51 Degrees warmer.

The rule of 3-5 degrees per thousand feet doesn't work when comparing night temperatures between Denver and NW Colorado. I am positive that the 13F reading was accurate.

If interested, the coldest June temperature ever recorded in Colorado was 3F degrees in Breckenridge (9600 feet elevation).

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Overnight Temperatures in the Central Rockies' main page