Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 43.10160°N / 71.1818°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1011 ft / 308 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From South Mountain Fire...



The Pawtuckaway Mountains are clearly one of the great surprises in Southeastern New Hampshire. Though very small (North Mtn. 1011 ft., South Mtn. 908 ft., and Middle Mtn. 860 ft.) the Pawtuckaway Mountains are famous for the tremendous amount of bouldering opportunities. Many giant granite boulders leftover from the glacial period give boulders tons of opportunities on climbing there favorite rock.

Pawtuckaway Crack



It should be noted that the Pawtuckaway Mountains are one of three former ring dikes in New Hampshire. Along with one At Gunstock and a the most famous ring dike, the Ossipee Mountains, the Pawtuckaway Mountains formed when magma tried to slowly bubble to the surface many millions of years ago. The mamga bubble than cool create a circular rise in the elevation, that create what is now Pawtuckaway Mountains. If you look at a topographically map you can actually see the circular appearance. That also explains why mostly granite is seen in this region. (Thanks Natreb)

Round Pond area



In addition to the tons of bouldering opportunities there are also a decent number of hiking trails that vary in difficulty. The South Mtn. Tower is the most popular destination for hikers, because in spite of its summit height (940 ft.), the tower has commanding views that on a clear day see about 50 miles. Not to be outdone, North Mtn. is also home to many more beautiful views. With the great views and the great bouldering, it is often hard to believe that only one of these summits barely break 1,000 ft.

Looking towards North...



Getting There

There are two ways on gettting to the Pawtuckaway Mtns. The first route is the route to the western section of the park where the actual summits are located as well as most of the trailheads. The second route (fee) is the route to the campground, Pawtuckaway Lake and the trailheads to two trails.

1. VIA RESERVATION ROAD: From exit 5 head north towards Raymond. Continue on the road until you run into Route 27, 107. Head left on route 27/107. Stay on Route 27/107 for four miles when Route 107 will split on your right. Take 107 roughly three more miles (two mile past the Derryfield sign) and continue to Reservation Road on your right. Turn right on Reservation Road and State on the road which turn to gravel in roughly a mile. Stay on Reservation road and at about 2.5 mile you will run into an intersection between with the two main dirt roads in the western section of the park, Round Pond Road and Tower Road.

2. VIA MOUNTAIN ROAD (FEE): From exit 5 head north towards Raymond. Continue on the road until you run into Route 27, 107. Take a right. From there follow the signs to Route 156 towards Nottingham. In roughly two mile make a left on Mountain Road and continue past the residential area. From there follow the signs to the state park, Pawtuckaway Lake and Campground.

Red Tape

Fee on Mountain Road entrance.

When To Climb

Anytime of year is great time to hike in this region. May and June though are famous for being black fly season. Still this park make for great April hiking when many of the other parks are snowcovered or in mud season.

Camping

Camping is not allowed on the mountains themselves. However Pawtuckaway State Campground is located on the eastern side of the park (Mountain Road (Fee)).

Mountain Conditions

Call Pawtuckaway State Park at (603) 895-3031.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.

External Links

General State Park Information

Printable Park Map

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
nartreb

nartreb - Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm - Hasn't voted

geology

Got to mention that Pawtuckaway is a Ring Dike. It can be hard to see on the ground, but it's really obvious on a shaded relief map. Good introduction to the geology here: http://fredlanga.blogspot.com/2008/08/meteor-crater-in-nh.html

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 16, 2011 9:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: geology

Awesome addition. I did add some more info about the geology to the main page.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.