Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Aug 25, 2014 10:10 am - Voted 10/10

Tough Trip!!

Good report-Hope your plans work out better next time!!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Aug 25, 2014 5:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tough Trip!!

Yeah, it didn't go as hoped! Definitely will be planning for an entire week next year. Safe journeys in the Winds...

RobSC

RobSC - Aug 27, 2014 6:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Report!

It seems like some trips have everything go right while others like this they don't, but then looking back, like you say, you will have seen some amazing places...

Mt. Alice will be that much more special when you do get to its summit. For me it was probably my favorite peak and climb in RMNP - so remote and beautiful... So stick with it.

Nice report, especially given that everything didn't go as you'd hoped on the trip!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Aug 29, 2014 8:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Report!

Yeah, I am sure I will get back there again and finish the job. No rush! There are a few other places in the park, particularly in Wild Basin, that I would like to get to. Next time I may approach again from Boulder-Grand Pass. It's been a long time since I have been to Thunder Lake - and it was cloudy that day.

Thanks for reading, and glad you enjoyed it. Happy Trails, Mark

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 28, 2014 4:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Bum deal

Sorry you got such a bad break with the weather, Mark. I remember two three-day weekends I spent in Maine and being rained on just about all day, every day. It was so frustrating. I saw nothing from the top of Katahdin.

I guess I lucked out this summer. Although I had some rain and clouds some days, I didn't have a single throwaway day over two weeks.

The next time you go up to Emerald Lake, consider continuing up Tyndall Gorge. I used a combination of Tyndall Glacier and some rock ribs to climb Hallett on the last day of my trip, and that was very scenic and fun in there. And the views from Hallett were spectacular, so I hope you get another chance at that. They're much better than the views from Flattop.

RMNP is a place I haven't done too much climbing in because I've been so spoiled by the solitude up north, but I think I'd like to go back for the Saber and McHenrys. And now you have me interested in Alice; it sounds like a peak for me!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Aug 29, 2014 8:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bum deal

Yeah, the weathe sure can make or break a trip. Go on enough of them and you are sure to get rained out occassionally. Sounds like you had great weather. Good to hear! But only two weeks? Doesn't sound like your normal summer...

Of all the places to hike in RMNP, Wild Basin might just be up your alley. With the long approaches, weekdays pretty much guarantee some solitude. The route difficulty on most of these peaks probably isn't what you typically like, but I am sure you could figure out some ways to spice things up. Hope you have a productive Autumn!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 29, 2014 9:35 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Bum deal

Well, after my two weeks in the mountains, I did get to spend two weeks at the beach, so although that's not quite the same, I had a full month away from home, which isn't bad. Usually we try an August trip out West but couldn't make it work this year, so we went to Shenandoah for a few days instead.

Glad you got into IPW. With the high trailhead and the short approached from Brainerd Lake, that's a great spot for hitting peaks, and highly scenic.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Sep 1, 2014 10:25 am - Voted 10/10

Good essay!

Sorry it was not a perfect trip. Rocky Mountain National Park was where I discovered that I get altitude sickness. I'm okay below 11,200 feet or so (why that elevation? I can' say), but above that I get sick. Worst experience was my climb to Chasm Lake. My hiking companions should have stopped me and turned me around, but they didn't. I'm lucky I made it down okay...I was so addled I wasn't thinking straight.

Apparently I'm one of those folk who take about seven or eight days to become acclimated to altitudes over 11K feet. I learned my lesson.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 1, 2014 8:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good essay!

I remember you commenting about altitude sickness issues after that trip. I fortunately have not had much if any problems in that regard...and I hope it stays that way. Funny, but my nephew Dave runs circles around me when we are down in the Smokies. Get him to Colorado though and things change. Weird how it impacts everyone a little differently.

Thanks for stopping by and reading. Hope you had a good summer hiking. Mark

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'RMNP 2014: Third Time Will Have to be the Charm' main page