Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.65905°N / 85.38969°W
Additional Information County: Walter
Activities Activities: Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1870 ft / 570 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of the most premier bouldering destinations in the southeast United States, if not the whole USA. Rocktown is located on top of Piegon Mountain just outside of Lafayette, GA. Located about an hour from Chattanooga, TN and 2hrs from Atlanta, GA. It is part of a great trifecta of bouldering. Little Rock City/Stone Fort bouldering in TN is only an hour away and Horse Pens 40 in Alabama is around 2 hours. The rock is all sandstone and is home to some classic problems such as The Orb(V8) and The Vagina(V8 but heard it was downgraded to a V7), and Soap On A Rope(maybe the hardest V4 in the world.) Since it is in the southeast it can be extremely hot during the summer months with a high humidty index. It is at it's best during the fall and winter months. Rocktown is split into multiple sections. The Orb area, Hueco Simulator, The Maze, Back Street boulders, Front Corridor, Sherman Roof boulder, and the Asphalt boulders. There is no official guidebook but i have posted the link for a free online guide book in the external links section.

Getting There

from I-75 take the exit for HWY 146. Follow that for 25 miles into La Fayette (there will be a few turns so watch for the signs. Once in La Fayette you will want to turn right onto HWY 193N. After 2.7 miles you will see Uncle Jed's store on the right, turn left onto Chamberlain Rd. After 3.3 miles make a right onto Rocky Lane, Crockford-Pigeon wildlife area. Go slow past the ranger station and travel a few miles up the mountain through steep switchbacks and bad pot holes. The road will fork. Take a right( If you take the left it will bring you to a cool overlook) and follow the dirt road another 1.3 miles til you see a Rocktown trailhead sign on the left. Turn left and that will bring you to the trailhead. If you continue straight for a little bit, the first right will bring you to a free campsite.

Once at the trailhead, follow the trail for about a mile to Rocktown. When you see the first big boulder to the right, there is a side trail that will bring you to The Orb area. If you continue on it will bring you past Sherman Roof and straight to Hueco Simulator.

Red Tape

Open all year. Make sure to drive slow up Rocky lane. No camping at Rocktown trailhead parking lot. Walter county is a dry county so you will not find any alcohol at local restaurants in La Fayette.

Camping

There is free camping at the sawmill campground. You can also camp on the side of the road along the trailhead road. They do not allow camping at the trailhead parking lot anymore. Motels located in La Fayette.

External Links

Free online guide book http://www.wasatchgirl.com/Music/rocktown.pdf